Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
AlliSnow
0 Kudos

Book text not appearing

Read a book sample and decided to buy it. Book seemed to download with no problem, but when I open it the text of the book does not appear on the screen. Other things do - the book title, the wifi and battery icons, the progress bar - and the images on the touch screen come up as well... just no book text, cover, anything. I've tried using the touch screen to navigate to another part of the book, no luck. I'm able to open other books with no problem... could this just be a defect in the book file?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Book text not appearing

AlliSnow wrote:

Read a book sample and decided to buy it. Book seemed to download with no problem, but when I open it the text of the book does not appear on the screen. Other things do - the book title, the wifi and battery icons, the progress bar - and the images on the touch screen come up as well... just no book text, cover, anything. I've tried using the touch screen to navigate to another part of the book, no luck. I'm able to open other books with no problem... could this just be a defect in the book file?

I had a book like that. It is a defect in the file from the book publisher. I suggest you call B&N tech support so that they can forward the problem on to the publisher.

It's up to you whether you want to request a refund, or wait until the publisher corrects the file. Sine the file needs to be corrected by the publisher, B&N has no control over how long that will take.

In the future, it would be much more helpful to people on this board if you included the details of the book you are having problems with, not just the fact that you are having a problem.

New User
AlliSnow
0 Kudos

I thought I was detailed about the issue... Do you mean details as in the title of the book? It's These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer.

Reader 4
mharvey816

I had this exact same problem happen this afternoon with the Kate Pearce bundle. When I contacted BN on the live chat, the rep said it's a known problem with the servers and that I should try archiving and unarchiving up to 24-48 hours later to force a new download. As it turned out, that process fixed the problem within 30 minutes of my initial chat contact. So if you haven't tried archiving and unarchiving since you first had the problem, maybe give it a shot now and use the BN live chat if it doesn't work. Good luck!
jmm
Contributor
jmm
0 Kudos

Having basically that issue with today's Free Friday--3/30/2012--Dare to Die, by Carolyn Hart.

Purchased via nook, downloaded and opened to read--all pages are totally blank--nothing at all!!!

Page numbers appear--able to go to chapters, pages, etc--but all blank.

So I deleted book and purchased again, this time on B&N website.  Same thing--total blankness.

Did chat w/tech support--had me archive/unarchive--same thing--blankness.

Told me only option was to unregister/re-register.

I won't do that just because of one book--no problem with any other books purchased today.

Hopefully what you suggest will work--will try again later in the weekend!

I HATE it when support tries to tell me that I'm the only one in the entire world having this problem, and that no one else has EVER had a similiar problem!!!

Note--Friend with Simple Touch had no problem--

But I'm MUCH rather have my Gen1 than a Simple Touch--in order to get improved battery life (so what--just charge it!) they did away with so many great things!!!

Daybook, Unbound, book descriptions in library, etc.

Thanks!

Janet

Reader 2
Montana89
0 Kudos

I also have this problem with "Dare to Die" (Free Fridays 3/30/12).  I have a Nook 1st Edition.  My husband has a Nook Color and he had no problems.  I've archived and unarchived; deleted and repurchased, but it still all blank.  I also will not unregister and re-register.  Too much of a hassle. I will try to download again later, but will probably just read it on his Nook when he's playing golf.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

I noticed the person who solved the problem with a book having blank pages mentioned waiting 24-48 hours to unarchive the eBook(s) again.

I'm wondering if the two people who didn't resolve their problem made sure the problem eBook disappeared from their reader before unarchiving or repurchasing that eBook. The title page, table of contents and first page of actual text appear to be working properly on my WiFi only First Edition (firmware version 1.7)

Reader 2
Montana89
0 Kudos

The book (Dare to Die) downloaded fine today.  I archived last night and just downloaded it again tonight.  Don't understand why the wait time, but happy that I got the book.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

When one eBook malfunctions while others don't there's a possibility that the copy in your Nook was corrupted in some way. You might benefit from downloading the eBook again. But if your Nook doesn't sync while that eBook is archived it won't delete the corrupted copy that it downloaded earlier and won't have any reason to download a fresh copy. When you synchronize your Nook any eBooks that you archived since the immediately prior sync are deleted from the folder where purchases from B&N are stored. Once  you change that eBook's status back to active another sync will lead to the Nook downloading a fresh copy of the eBook from B&N's server.

There's also a slight possibility an eBook file on B&N's server was corrupted and corrected by B&N or the publisher after they receive a few complaints.

Contributor
CharlesC
0 Kudos

This happened to me this morning with "Damned" by Chuck Palahniuk. Archiving/Unarchiving didn't work for me, so I asked for a refund.  But apparently they don't give refunds for ebooks, so I guess I'm out my $13.

Contributor
CharlesC
0 Kudos

I just got 2 e-mails from customer service. The first one said try downloading the book again in a week (!!!) once they notify the publisher of the problem. The second said "Try downloading it again as we are not seeing this problem". So I tried unarchiving and redownloading and now the book works.

Not sure why I got two different answers to the same question, but the book is readable and that's all I wanted.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 851 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: