Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Cat12345FL
0 Kudos

Books Won't Download Any Help Please?

Okay Hello

I just got my nook and I was initially delighted with it but it just refuses to work and I'm SO disappointed.

I set up my account, registered, and set up my default credit card details all without issue.

But for some reason when I buy books they just won't download.

I've "bought" several of the free NOOKbooks on my laptop and they show up in my B&N Library on my nook but then when I press download, it will only say download starting, and eventually tell me its unable to complete the operation

I can't get through to the helpline so that offered no help.

At the same time my order status says not yet shipped or something similar, and I haven't received any confirmation of purchase emails either. And yet I can read the books perfectly well on the Nook for PC app which I downloaded.

I also tried to sideload into my documents but although book titles will appear, ultimately it just says cannot open book unsupported filetype. Although the it seems likely that I'm doing something wrong in the sideloading cause I'm not sure how it works exactly.

I'm not very technologically aware but I live to read so If anyone could offer my any advice I would be so, so grateful.

New User
latch
0 Kudos

Re: Books Won't Download Any Help Please?

I am having the very same problem. I have had my nook for two weeks and haven't had an problems. Today the books will not download. I also downloaded the one to the PC.

Hope help comes along. :smileysurprised:

New User
Cat12345FL
0 Kudos

Oh well thats slightly reassuring at least.

Maybe its something to do with the B&N server.

Thanks for replying!

B&N Bookseller
Christina_C
0 Kudos

As I have downloaded a book just a few minutes ago. From all the tech support I've been doing at our store, the books may be slow to download while they are still working on the system. According to the guy for store support I talked to, the server is having issues keeping up with demand. Most books will be delivered any where from within the hour and as long as 24 hours later. (If it doesn't arrive after 24 hours call 800-the-book) Make sure you check your account. When you look at your recent orders, it will tell you if the item was shipped. If not, chances are it's just the slow network. If it has been, then go into your library and click check for new content.   Good luck!

Contributor
stevecb0
0 Kudos

I've had this issue since mid December when I was setting a nook up for my wife's Christmas gift.I have to sideload all books from my PC. Customer service has been unable to help on three calls( I've received 3 different answers lol). I can download at Barnes and Noble stores and at other people's homes on their wireless network, so I assume something is going wrong with my wireless set up, although there are numerous posts on the site that describe the same issue since the firmware upgrade to 1.5. Good luck, as I know how frustrating it is... I feel as if I have given a defective present to my wife.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Make sure that the books that you are side loading have just .epub at the end of the file. 

Contributor
Susan_Pettrone
0 Kudos

I ordered 4 books (at least) that I have paid for and cannot download BUT just a few days ago they downloaded. This is really frustrating as all get out as my child is in the hospital and having those books would make a really LONG day go a lot faster. I'll be calling tech support tomorrow to get them to help me download....BUT I must say, if this is what I'm going to have to go to, I won't be using my nook much and I JUST got it for Christmas! I am really disappointed in what is going on with my nook....makes me want to return the dang thing but I don't have a receipt AND it's been too long. Did I get stuck with a $250 lemon?!?!

Contributor
Susan_Pettrone
0 Kudos

I should have said OTHERS a few days ago downloaded NO PROBLEM....but in the past three days NO DOWNLOAD! Am tired.....both in body and mind. Sorry for any confusion

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Susan_Pettrone wrote:

I should have said OTHERS a few days ago downloaded NO PROBLEM....but in the past three days NO DOWNLOAD! Am tired.....both in body and mind. Sorry for any confusion

Sorry you are having problems. This is the support forum for the Nook Classic e-ink reader. You will probably get some better feedback and answers over in the Nook Color Support forum:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
SWBob
0 Kudos

I am also having problems with both "connecting to network" to purchase and downloading.  Last night I was able to "purchase" books for download, but they didn't download to my Nook.  I did receive emails saying they were available for download.  Usually by the time I get the email, the book has already downloaded to my Nook.  Not this time.

I frequently have the problem of "not connected to network"  message when I am trying to shop for books.  I get this message when I have a strong WIFI connection so I know this isn't the issue.

I am very disappointed that B&N doesn't seem to have the capacity to support their product.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 765 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: