Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
brettcarol
0 Kudos

Books download to computer will not open on the NOOK

I got my Nook about a month ago for my birthday.  I had bought 4 books recently and found that I could not open them on the Nook.  It has the front cover picture and tells me that it is downloading the book but it never appears.  I called the support line last week and they determined that my Nook was defective and sent me a new one. I go the new Nook today and it is having the same problem.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: Books download to computer will not open on the NOOK

Have you registered your nook with the credit card that you used to buy the books?

New User
AcquaHA
0 Kudos

Are your books regular novels or textbooks?  I have been having the same problem, but then I read that textbooks cannot be downloaded to the Nook.  I have not tried a regular book yet.

Frequent Contributor
woodsonh
0 Kudos

You say the books are downloaded to your computer. How are  you downloading them to your computer? If you use desktop nook, can you transfer them to the nook through usb?

Try a download with your nook.

Go to Shop.

Go to search.

Enter $0.00.

(thanks to others on the list)

This will show you free books.

Pick one and download it.

I don't know what would happen to nook if wifi was having problems. You might go to your b&n get on their network and try downloading.

Woody

let us know what happens

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, hold down the power button for about 15-20 seconds to power down your NOOK, then hold down the power button for about 2-4 seconds and let it fully boot/start up.

Then you want to Unarchive the eBook in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook.

If the issue persists after taking these steps, please let me know.

New User
AK907
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  I sideload ebooks to My Documents on the NOOK but they do not show up in my library.  I followed the suggestion of "purchasing" a free book and it worked just fine.  I hook up my NOOK to my computer and those other ebooks I added are still there.  What next??

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Are you going to  my documents on your nook and checking for new content with the wifi/3G on?

New User
AK907
0 Kudos

Ok should have done this yesterday.  I purchased the wifi NOOK Saturday the 21st.  Plugged it in overnight to charge fully.  Sunday PM started playing with it, figuring out how it works.  I downloaded one ebook (epub) to the book and it worked fine.  Got excited.  Started dropping more books to the NOOK, none of them showed up.  I re-registered (just in case), turned it off and on, all those things you do.  The ebook I originally got to download was no longer on the NOOK but was showing up in My Documents as well as the others I tried to load.  I then took all the ebooks out of My Documents, (the idea was I put to many books on at once and it overloaded) put them in a temporary folder and reloaded the first book (the one that actually worked the first time).  Unplugged and tapped search, nothing happened.  Got frustrated and put it down to take to work (others here have the NOOK) to see if they were having any problems.  Yes/No but not the same as mine.  Decided to see if something downloaded from my work computer would work (pdf document) and it did.  Tried some others (ebub and pdb) didn't work.  Took it to B&N where they looked at it but it didn't work for them either.  Took it home to play with some more.  Decided to look here again and came across this post tried to do some of the stuff suggested, couldn't do the archive since I couldn't get any books to load.  So now here I am.  Any suggestions??

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Plug your nook into a computer via the USB cable.

On your nook drive, are the books currently in the My Documents folder? 

If not, put them there.  If so, continue.

Eject using Windows Explorerer.  Click on My Computer, then right click on the nook drive and eject.  Safely remove using the bottom toolbar and the icon with the green arrow.

Take your nook out of airplane mode.

Now, go to the menu on the nook.

Go to My Library

It will either say View My Documents or View My B&N Library at the top.  If it says View My Documents, tap that.  If it says View My B&N Library, you are in My Documents.

Once you are in My Documents, tap on Check for New Content.  That should show any new books.

At this point, there's something going on.

New User
AK907
0 Kudos

Did all that.  Plan on calling customer service tomorrow morning.  Thanks for the help.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 307 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: