Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Reolito_Lao
0 Kudos

Bought an ebook and now it's asking for my credit card number again

Hello,

I recently bought "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens @ $0.99. Here's the link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN=2940011808036&x=1202402

It's in my library, downloaded (filename is 2940011808036-ePub.v2.epub) it to my PC and transferred it to my nook. When I open the ebook in my nook, it's not titled A Tale of Two Cities but rather it's titled "Untitled" by Alma Solicito. When I opened the ebook, it tells me that in order for me to read this book, I have to submit my name and credit card number again. Why would I do that? I already paid for the book (already got the reciept in my email) and it's asking me to enter my card info again? I smell something's fishy.

What's going on? This is the first time it happened to me. All of my other 13+ ebook purchases for the past few months didn't have this... god-knows-what.

Help!

Inspired Correspondent
ivers

Re: Bought an ebook and now it's asking for my credit card number again

[ Edited ]

This is nothing fishy, it's to unlock the DRM. You should only have to enter it on your nook once in order to be able to thereafter unlock any DRMed content from B&N that you sideload onto your nook.

Out of curiousity, were the other 13+ books sideloaded like this one or did you just have your nook download them via wifi or 3G?

Edited to add: your nook will use your name and cc number to create a special unique "key" that is needed to unlock books bought from B&N under that name and cc number. It is the key that is saved on your nook, not the cc number. So, enter it once and be done. Unless of course you have to wipe your nook to factory settings or unregister and reregister or something, then because the key would also be wiped for your own security, you would have to regenerate it by entering the info.

Be sure you enter your name exactly as it appears in your B&N account info on the B&N website. This might not be exactly how your name is on your credit card (ie, no middle initial)

New User
Reolito_Lao

[ Edited ]

>This is nothing fishy, it's to unlock the DRM. You should only have to enter it on your nook once in order to be able to thereafter unlock any DRMed content from B&N that you sideload onto your nook.

This is certainly my first time. The previous ones didn't have this feature. I will go and try this out and see if it works.

>Out of curiousity, were the other 13+ books sideloaded like this one or did you just have your nook download them via wifi or 3G?

13 were "sideloaded" and others were downloaded by nook via wifi.

EDIT:

Yep, it worked now. Thanks! I guess I was kinda angry and suspicious. It was definitely a first for me.

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

No worries, I get the skeevies when something wants my cc number too! Happy reading :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Reolito_Lao wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens @ $0.99. Here's the link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?EAN=2940011808036&x=1202402

It's in my library, downloaded (filename is 2940011808036-ePub.v2.epub) it to my PC and transferred it to my nook. When I open the ebook in my nook, it's not titled A Tale of Two Cities but rather it's titled "Untitled" by Alma Solicito. When I opened the ebook, it tells me that in order for me to read this book, I have to submit my name and credit card number again. Why would I do that? I already paid for the book (already got the reciept in my email) and it's asking me to enter my card info again? I smell something's fishy.

What's going on? This is the first time it happened to me. All of my other 13+ ebook purchases for the past few months didn't have this... god-knows-what.

Help!

I know your question was answered, but out of curiosity, is there any reason you sideloaded your book to your nook (download to PC and transfer) rather than wireless download right to the nook?

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

If you have WiFi, it is the preferred way to get a BN book onto your Nook.

While transferring from your computer works, you lose the BN Archive feature.

New User
mpers3
0 Kudos

B&N, please fix your apps. Nook for PC is asking for credit card and name when trying to open purchased books, that have been opened before. Your app even says book last opened on such and such date. but it won't take my name or credit card info. Also as many many other user have complained, syncing between devices sucks at best. Had to log out and log in3 or 4 times to get my current book to sync between droid phone and PC and Nook Color. Kindle looking better and better just because of little things that should "JUST WORK".

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mpers3 wrote:

B&N, please fix your apps. Nook for PC is asking for credit card and name when trying to open purchased books, that have been opened before. Your app even says book last opened on such and such date. but it won't take my name or credit card info. .....

Your credit card number and name are used to generate an unlock key for nookbooks with DRM.

When Nook for PC is connected to the internet it gets that information from BN.com. When Nook for PC is not connected to the internet it asks you to supply that information.

Once you enter that information Nook for PC should store the unlock key on your computer so you will not be bothered with that message for all books purchased on that account.

If you change the default credit card on your account you may be asked to enter that information again. I noticed I have a couple copies of some book in my BN folder. I assume this goes back to when I changed the default credit card on my account.

New User
lauramcfiesty
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, except when I enter my name and credit card number as it appears on my BN account it just clears out the information I just typed in and does NOTHING. I've signed in and out serveral times and enter the name/cc info a dozen times. my book is sideloaded, I've read it before and only ONE of my 13 books is availble for me to read.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Try turning it completely off. If that doesn't work take the battery out plug the nook into the wall and put the battery back in it.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Leave out any middle initials in the name.
New User
letigre5
0 Kudos

Same problem here...  I didn't have this problem until I "logged out" of my Nook for PC app.. 

It's like a catch 22... You have to "logout" of the Nook for PC app in order for it to sync with your B&N account, aka your Nook Tablet..   But once you log out of the Nook for PC app, when you rerun the app it asks for your credit card name and number...  ?????    What the hell?   My credit card number is stored on the B&N server..   I should NEVER have to enter this information on any other device that I have registered with B&N ...  PERIOD !!!!!!

B&N needs to get their crap together and fix their problems....  I knew I should have bought a Kindle..

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

letigre5 wrote:

Same problem here...  I didn't have this problem until I "logged out" of my Nook for PC app.. 

It's like a catch 22... You have to "logout" of the Nook for PC app in order for it to sync with your B&N account, aka your Nook Tablet..   But once you log out of the Nook for PC app, when you rerun the app it asks for your credit card name and number...  ?????    What the hell?   My credit card number is stored on the B&N server..   I should NEVER have to enter this information on any other device that I have registered with B&N ...  PERIOD !!!!!!

B&N needs to get their crap together and fix their problems....  I knew I should have bought a Kindle..

I have never had to logout of my account to sync Nook for Pc.  If it didn't as soon as I opened it I just tap the sync icon.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

New User
gidgiddonihah
0 Kudos

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a similar question.  My parents share an account with two nooks.  My mom bought a Stephen King book and when we tried to download it to my dad's nook (linked to the same account) it wanted the card info.  I get sideloaded content needs to be unlocked so people don't upload the files willy nilly (which they do after stripping the DRM - illegal in the states), but why should I have to enter information on a shared account?  To me that makes sharing an account almost pointless. Also the system is very buggy for sideloaded content.  You type in the information and then a week later it wants the info again for the same book!  It seems as if BN wants things to be as complicated as possible.  It should not be all that hard to implement a good DRM system that does not intrude on people's reading experiences.  Or maybe it is.  Both the reading and visual media departments cling to DRM while the music department makes a lot of money without.

So after a tangent and rant, my question is why does it want the info for a book purchased by the account the device is attached to?  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

gidgiddonihah wrote:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a similar question.  My parents share an account with two nooks.  My mom bought a Stephen King book and when we tried to download it to my dad's nook (linked to the same account) it wanted the card info.  I get sideloaded content needs to be unlocked so people don't upload the files willy nilly (which they do after stripping the DRM - illegal in the states), but why should I have to enter information on a shared account?  To me that makes sharing an account almost pointless. Also the system is very buggy for sideloaded content.  You type in the information and then a week later it wants the info again for the same book!  It seems as if BN wants things to be as complicated as possible.  It should not be all that hard to implement a good DRM system that does not intrude on people's reading experiences.  Or maybe it is.  Both the reading and visual media departments cling to DRM while the music department makes a lot of money without.

So after a tangent and rant, my question is why does it want the info for a book purchased by the account the device is attached to?  

It seems that occassionaly the Nook devices develop a glitch.  The very first eBook I purchased on my NST asked me to enter the unlock information but no others ever have.  My Mother-in-law had this happen a few times with sideloaded content.  After powering completely off and then back on she hasn't had the problem again. 

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Check to see if the credit/check card on the account was changed OR updated to reflect a new expiration date. Card information is used as a decryption key for the anti-piracy digital rights management, If you download a Nook book to one reader, change the card information then download the book to another reader the files will require different decryption keys (the card information).

Note that a since a new download will occur if you pull a book out of archive you will need to enter the new card information if you changed the card information on your account. Since the point of using the decryption key is the rights management process, you will have to enter the new card information on the account at B&N and each of the readers (devices and reader software on computers, phones and tablets).

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,083 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: