Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nooksuxKC
0 Kudos

Re: Bought used nook, can't Unregister, HELP!

I bought a used Nook on Craig's List not knowing that they need un-register the Nook. I contacted Customer Support MANY, MANY, MANY times explaining that I contacted the seller through Craig's List and that I never had a contact phone number or their real email address. The seller was a 10 year old little girl and her mom drove her to meet me. After I got the Nook I contacted Customer Support immediately because it was obvious they had done a factory re-set, but that they hadn't unregistered it. The little girl never used the Nook and all that had been done was mom had registered it Christmas morning.  I had no way of contacting the seller after they deleted their CL post.  I luckily had mom's phone number and text her requesting that she contact B&N to unregister the device. She never did and asked me to leave them alone. The first person I spoke to at B&N was very sweet and he told me he understood and that he would attempt to contact them via the email address registered....amazing that he could look that up with the serial number of the device (SARCASM here)! However, after a week, I contacted B&N to check to see if they had received a reply from the seller. They had no clue what I was talking about....they don't save information from your calls for help?!?! So, I went through the entire spiel about my issue.....not so helpful Customer Support personnel....said if I could get the name of the person on the credit card registered that would do the trick. I explained that mom had told me to bug off in my last text asking for help. But, that I would try again....got mom's name. That wasn't enough information.  Could I get a home address....mom would not give me that information! I found the little girl on Facebook and asked her....I sound like a creepy stalker!!! She gave me the information....I called B&N again. NO help....they need the email address. I was told that they can not do ANYTHING if they don't have an email address.....hmmmm.....doesn't exactly follow the stream of Customer Support because they had attempted to contact the seller via email in my first request for help! Had I known it was this much trouble to use a used Nook....I NEVER would have purchased it! I would have gone with a Kindle because all you have to do is re-set a Kindle! I understand property can be stolen and they want to protect a purchaser....but, it's taken me two years and I can't get help from the seller. This is a freaking 1st Edition...I'm just wanting to put books on it for my little girl. I think it's a complete shame that it just has to go in the garbage because someone else isn't willing to help you un-register it. We are going on a long car trip....I'd like my kiddo to read a book. So, after two years....I contacted them again....here's how bad their technical support team is...I contacted someone on Live Chat....they gave me a case number....I called in....case number doesn't work. I was sent to 1st Edition support person (who was rude and completely useless)....explained the situation and was told again....that they are unable to do a manual override to un-register the Nook. Amazing they are selling technology and don't have the ability to do something so "technical"!!! I contacted a Live Chat person to ask if this is true....they hung up my chat! I will NEVER purchase a Nook product. I will NEVER recommend a Nook product. I will never purchase another B&N book. I will do all I can to spread the word that Nook is the most useless product on the market. Yes, I should have done my research before purchasing a used Nook. But, it shouldn't be so difficult to overcome an issue when they did something on their end to even contact the seller and can see that they are not willing to help!

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nooksuxKC wrote:

<mega snip> but, it's taken me two years and I can't get help from the seller.

You've been at this for TWO YEARS???

A) Always have contact information for anyone you buy something from.  Always.

B) That way, the second you had trouble you could, nicely, say "I'm sorry, B&N assumes this is stolen, can you help me? Otherwise, I'll havet to bring it back since it can't be used, you give me my money back, and we'll move on."

C) I like to know, that unlike Apple which is more than happy to reactivate stolen property, B&N "has my back."

D) Enjoy your Kindle.  No, seriously, I hope you move on from your two year obsession and enjoy the e-reading experience.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

nooksuxKC wrote:

<mega snip> but, it's taken me two years and I can't get help from the seller.

You've been at this for TWO YEARS???

Really?  While the story is quite elaborate, and mildly entertaining in places, a number of points, including that one, seem somewhat unlikely.  I think DNF may be appropriate.

New User
JamoJA
0 Kudos

Why don't you go to settings, device info, erase and deregister this device ? Then you can reregister it. DUH
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 335 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: