Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Buying a nook internationally?

[ Edited ]

FrogAlum wrote:

As I sit here with 100+ books I haven't read yet plus all my library books, I'd have to say I agree.

LOL  I'm in exactly the same boat (except for the library thing -- you know I don't do that :smileyhappy:) -- guess we're ready to move to the other side of the world at a moment's notice!  I hope that Katie will be joining us when the time comes.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

KT_Hutch wrote:

I currently live in the US and bought a nook a few months ago and LOVE using it.  However, my husband is active duty military and we are being stationed in Japan.  I want to know if I will be able to download books in Japan?  I shop for books on the nook and have a US credit card.  Would that still work?  I love using my nook and will be devistated if I'm not able to. 

Thanks,

Katie

KT_Hutch:

I posted this above, but thought I'd repeat it here for you.  When physically outside the United States, there are two ways of "buying" books for your nook:

(1) have a trusted family member or friend located inside the US who can log in to your account and buy books for you (after purchase, they will sync over wifi anywhere in the world, but must be purchased from a US IP address); or

(2) set up a vpn that makes it appear as if you are shopping from an "inside the US" IP address.

As explained above, B&N does not have the copyright licenses to sell ebooks outside of the US, so it's somewhat irrelevant that you have a US credit card if you're physically located in Japan.

(I should really say that these are the two ways to buy books from B&N - there may be other sellers that you can buy .epub books from and sideload onto your nook)

New User
Goonk
0 Kudos

Hello

I have a friend in US that can buy me NOOK and bring it to Israel

But will I be able to register the nook from non US IP address?

Thanks

New User
tiona13
0 Kudos

First let me say, I absolutely love my Nook.  It was a gift intended for the use on our super long plane ride to Japan (husband is military).  I have some free books and a few books that I purchased before leaving the states.  Finished all of those about 2 weeks ago and have been unable to download anymore here in Japan (foreign IP address).  We have made numerous calls to tech support and they have attempted to help, but none of their suggestions work.  All I want is to enjoy the product...soooo disappointed. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ tiona13,

Please check out number two in very-simple's post above yours, or google "US IP address."

Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Someone in another forum posted the name of this website: www dot proxpn dot com. Once installed, you'll have you US IP address. It's free, although it will ask you for a contribution, or something. If you pay, you'll get the premium edition. The regular, free one seems to be working for me fine, though.

I tried it and it works! I'm outside of the USA with a USA address and credit card, and I've bought several ebooks from BN and downloaded them to my BN Desktop reader.

New User
Alura
0 Kudos

Oh my god!!!! Thank you SOOO much for your directions I purchased a Nook in the US right before I moved to Norway with my husband in order to be be able to get US books (and generally books in English since I read a whole lot and do not speak Norwegian). I was furious to find out I could not download them here. Once I thought about I realized it was copyright law issues however I specifically told the salesperson why I was buying it and they told me it was a great idea! A friend told me you can also change or fake your IP address somehow to make it to look like you are located in the US. I paid for the Nook in the US and am using a US credit card buying US books so it should be equivalent to me purchasing something online and having it shipped here!

Contributor
bastianbalthazarbux
0 Kudos

I'm probably not smart putting this up here but I'm currently in Australia and have no problem buying books online just need something like hotspot shield on your computer so your ip is not traceable. Use your US adress and ANY credit card (does not need to be US at all) and off you go! I buy at B&N no worries!

Please leave this loophole!! Hope they can't somehow stop this!

Frequent Contributor
DLCrouch
0 Kudos

So - if you have registered and purchase from the BN site from a US based IP; you can then download from anywhere? Without any tricky WIFI settings on the Nook?

My Mom is going on an extended overseas trip and I plan to buy her a Nook and can certainly handle purchases for her --- as long as she can just "Check for New BN Content" to see any new books added to her account.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

DLCrouch wrote:

So - if you have registered and purchase from the BN site from a US based IP; you can then download from anywhere? Without any tricky WIFI settings on the Nook?

My Mom is going on an extended overseas trip and I plan to buy her a Nook and can certainly handle purchases for her --- as long as she can just "Check for New BN Content" to see any new books added to her account.

Nope - you need wifi access.  Books purchased and "sitting" in your account can be downloaded wirelessly to your nook anywhere in the world, but you need access to wifi to do it.  3G only works in the US.

Alternatively, you can sideload them if you have computer access.  

New User
quofet
0 Kudos

IP address and physical location don't seem to stop it...I am in France and its fine...

I will repaste this, what I also put on another thread: I am an American who has been living in France for 7 years.

I set up my Barnes & Noble account for the first time today, from a French IP address. No problems. I ordered a book online at B&N today by just using my US based permanent address that I still maintain, and using my US credit card. And, I could buy it no problem, even though my computer is a French IP address and I am physically in France right now.

Then I was able to access that eBook I bought both at my computer with the Nook Study software that I downloaded, and at my Blackberry (which has Internet access), all while in France.

So, for all they say that the eBooks cannot be used internationally, I think it is fine, and your IP address won't affect you...instead, I think you will have a problem if your user account and/or credit card is not based at US address and does not use a US credit card...otherwise, you're fine...or I was today.

So, for expatriates abroad, at least, you should be fine...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: IP address and physical location don't seem to stop it...I am in France and its fine...

@ quofet,

Do you have a nook?  Have you purchased and downloaded ebooks successfully to your nook?

The overwhelming experience (including my own) is that B&N servers will not allow purchase of ebooks once a non-US IP address is detected.  Many US citizens have discovered this while attempting to buy ebooks while outside the US.  Assuring people that it will work because you were apparently able to purchase one ebook and download it to Nook Study and your Blackberry is not helping anyone.

As I stated in response to this post in another thread, let us know if you continue to successfully purchase ebooks and download them to your nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 683 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: