Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
soulblade64
0 Kudos

Buying a nook internationally?

I live in Australia and I'm seriously considering buying a nook.

Being that I live in Australia, and all my credit cards are Australian, am I still able to purchase books for my Nook from the B&N online store?

I will only be buying the new wifi model, as I don't require the 3G access.

I am considering the Nook over the Kindle as it is cheaper, as well as having support for ePub books... However if I can't buy from the B&N store, there is no point me bothering with the book, as I'll be cutting my market.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Buying a nook internationally?

@soulblade64

Bad news!  :smileysad:  You're not going to be able to use the B&N online store unless you're in the US or Canada. 

You won't be able to buy a Nook on the B&N website, either, without a US credit card and delivery address.  Don't know whether Best Buy will ship one to Australia.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Crawl79
0 Kudos

Ok, I am American with US credit cards but only spend 1 month a year in US rest of the time I am in Brazil. Will I be able to buy books online from the B&N site using my US credit cards and then download them directly to the nook or will I have to then copy them to a media card to tranfer to the nook?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Only if you:

(1) have a trusted family member or friend located inside the US who can log in to your account and buy books for you (after purchase, they will sync over wifi anywhere in the world, but must be purchased from a US IP address); or

(2) set up a vpn that makes it appear as if you are shopping from an "inside the US" IP address.

Contributor
zzzxtreme
0 Kudos

hi im from malaysia, i used my malaysian credit card, shipping address and billing address to pre-order the Wifi version yesterday. Done, will ship june 23.

However, I forgot that I was connected to my VPN which is in Montana. You can get free VPN for a day trial at sh3lls.net.  I don't know if the VPN makes a difference ! They say they can't ship the 3G version internationally.

So try it without the VPN thing

New User
Golan
0 Kudos

I'm from Brazil and will travel to USA next week. I've been trying to decide between a Kindle 2 and Nook for days. I'm happy with the price drop, but didn't like the fact that there is still no support from Barnes&noble for international use of their Nook device.

I've been reading about this so called 'future international support' for months, new versions being released (1.2, 1.3, 1.4...) but yet nothing different than 'yes, we are planning to support international blablabla'.

I have an international VISA credit card but I guess it is not enough to use the Nook. I like the Nook better than the Kindle 2 and I think it is a nice piece of hardware. But my guess is that I will have to buy the Kindle 2 just for their international support.

*IF* B&N says something like 'for the next version, international users will be able to activate and use our store with the same hardware', even if still limited, I would buy the Nook. In fact, I am hoping for such declaration in the next few days so that I can buy the Nook :smileyhappy:

I understand that this limitation is basically a software issue!

very-simple

It's not a software issue - it's that B&N is not licensed to sell copyrighted works outside of the US, and needs to negotiate, on a publisher by publisher (and perhaps even book by book basis) AND country by country basis, such rights.  This takes a lot of time, even assuming that B&N is actively pursuing it. I believe it took over a year from initial launch for the kindle to come out with an "international" version, precisely for the same reason.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ Crawl79,

The B&N website only recognizes US IP addresses, so while you can browse the site from anywhere, you will not be able to purchase unless you have a US IP address.

Once you have the content in your account, it's a different story.  That content can be downloaded from anywhere.  Some people have suggested that if you have a trusted family member or friend, you can let them make purchases on your account, which you can then download to your nook anywhere in Brazil that you can access wi-fi.

B&N is not the only provider of ebooks and if you use an alternative site, you can sideload the books to your "my documents" section of your nook.  You do not need to first copy them to a media card.  The user guide explains sideloading.

New User
TraxNet
0 Kudos

Nook selling outside USA

Hello, will people outside USA register the Nook and purchase books in your store when we receive our Wifi Nook? I order 2 nooks, one to give to my father and I'm not sure if we will be able to get all the juice from it :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Nook selling outside USA

@TraxNet,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

At this time, NOOK is only available for shipping to the US. We understand the interest for our customers outside of the US and are working to bring NOOK to everyone.

When you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such as those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital Library. You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions outside of the U.S.

The NOOK can be used to read ebooks purchased through other sites as long as the format is either PDB, PDF, secured PDF, or ePub.  Additionally, titles can be downloaded and transferred to NOOK via the supplied USB cable.

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

ABthree
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

At this time, NOOK is only available for shipping to the US. We understand the interest for our customers outside of the US and are working to bring NOOK to everyone.

Judging from the posts here, people outside the US and Canada have been placing orders for the WiFi Nook since it came out, and the orders have been going through.  In addition to the OP here, someone posted last night who had -- apparently successfully -- ordered two for delivery to New Zealand.
Maybe the orders will be stopped at time of shipment, but you might want ot have another look at the sales and shipping policies for the WiFi version.  Sounds like a problem may be brewing.

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
TraxNet
0 Kudos

I managed to place an order to spain with a spanish credit card and says it has been packed and ready for delivery tomorrow, the bank has confirmed the money too. Am I missing something?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

B&N is not licensed to sell copyrighted works outside of the US, and needs to negotiate, on a publisher by publisher (and perhaps even book by book basis) AND country by country basis, such rights.

It's even worse than that. It goes all the way back to the publishers' contracts with the authors. A savvy literary agent makes sure that an author's contract provides a minimum of rights to the publisher.

I suspect that the same may be true of ancillary aspects such as cover art, too.

New User
bugwiskers
0 Kudos

nook for UK

hello  is it planned to make the new nook wifi available in UK      if so when will this happen and will it be free of the problems created by Amazon

regards

very-simple
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

very-simple wrote:

B&N is not licensed to sell copyrighted works outside of the US, and needs to negotiate, on a publisher by publisher (and perhaps even book by book basis) AND country by country basis, such rights.

It's even worse than that. It goes all the way back to the publishers' contracts with the authors. A savvy literary agent makes sure that an author's contract provides a minimum of rights to the publisher.

I suspect that the same may be true of ancillary aspects such as cover art, too.

Oh, of course - that's why, even for hard cover books, you see different publishers in different countries (each with potentially different rights).  I just mean that B&N would have to negotiate with someone, be it publisher A in the US and author B in, say, the UK (and on and on and on) for each book it wanted to sell in each country in which it wanted to sell.  Most modern publishing contracts contain provisions for ebooks, but they're still separate contracts in each jurisdiction.  Blanket agreements are obviously possible, but that's a lot of work, and would, obviously, take a not-insignificant amount of time even if everyone is generally agreeable to the idea.

New User
KT_Hutch
0 Kudos

I currently live in the US and bought a nook a few months ago and LOVE using it.  However, my husband is active duty military and we are being stationed in Japan.  I want to know if I will be able to download books in Japan?  I shop for books on the nook and have a US credit card.  Would that still work?  I love using my nook and will be devistated if I'm not able to. 

Thanks,

Katie

ABthree
0 Kudos

KT_Hutch wrote:

I currently live in the US and bought a nook a few months ago and LOVE using it.  However, my husband is active duty military and we are being stationed in Japan.  I want to know if I will be able to download books in Japan?  I shop for books on the nook and have a US credit card.  Would that still work?  I love using my nook and will be devistated if I'm not able to. 

Thanks,

Katie

Katie,

I hope that you and your family enjoy being stationed in Japan.

You won't be able to purchase (or even download free books) from the B&N Store from an IP address outside the US, so I recommend stocking up on current books that are high on your wish list from B&N before you go. 

You may still be able download from some of the free sites and sideload public domain books while you're there, so you can try for older classics then.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

KT_Hutch wrote:

Thanks,

Katie

Katie,

I hope that you and your family enjoy being stationed in Japan.

You won't be able to purchase (or even download free books) from the B&N Store from an IP address outside the US, so I recommend stocking up on current books that are high on your wish list from B&N before you go. 

You may still be able download from some of the free sites and sideload public domain books while you're there, so you can try for older classics then.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can order using an on base access point...

ABthree
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

@FrogAlum
Actually, I thought of that. And if they're there long enough, she'll have to try.  But I'd still recommend loading up some now rather than betting on the come. :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

@FrogAlum
Actually, I thought of that. And if they're there long enough, she'll have to try.  But I'd still recommend loading up some now rather than betting on the come. :smileywink:

As I sit here with 100+ books I haven't read yet plus all my library books, I'd have to say I agree.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 660 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: