Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kweku
0 Kudos

Buying eBooks outside US

I just received a Nook as a gift--a wonderful gift, I thought, until I returned to Italy, where I live nine months out of the year, to find that B&N doesn't have the rights to sell ebooks internationally.  I'm not at home in the US often enough to be able to download what I need there.

How have others handled this problem?  I'm wondering whether to try to return the Nook and get Kindle instead. 

Thanks for any counsel you may have.

Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

Re: Buying eBooks outside US

I just sent you a message regarding this issue...

Meghan

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Contributor
nenna
0 Kudos

You can get your books from Sony Store too. You have to declare yourself american and give an american credit card. You will file your Sony Books in your documents.

I do it all the tiome from Italy.

Ciao

b

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

I have sent you an PM.

Contributor
nenna
0 Kudos

.... or the other way is you ask to someone in the US to buy an e-book for you at B&N (you have to give to this person your Nook PWD) and the e-book will land magically on your nook in Italy. I do it all the time since my husband go to US often.

Ciao

New User
RainCloudt
0 Kudos

Could you also buy an ebook online and then it would download on your nook?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

RainCloudt wrote:

Not if you are outside of the US.  The B&N server recognizes a non-US IP address and will now allow the purchase, even if you have a US address and credit card on file. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

RainCloudt wrote:

Not if you are outside of the US.  The B&N server recognizes a non-US IP address and will now allow the purchase, even if you have a US address and credit card on file. 

Oops.  Will not allow the purchase.  That's what happens when I don't proof before posting.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Thats why a lot of people set up a vpn.

Contributor
JuniorCid
0 Kudos

Hello meg

I have the same problem, that´s very dissapointed

what can i do?

New User
Alexandrus
0 Kudos

Hi all, this is just unbelievable and terrible news, what's the internet for then if not to eliminate frontiers and provide access to the info anywhere, anytime, does anyone know if B&N will sell internationally anytime soon? As for now, my nook has decorative purposes, more like a digital frame ....

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

This is a U2U, User 2 User, forum, I doubt many posting here will have access to the B&N business plans.

There are also many laws in different countries with regards to corporate statements about products. For example, Nikon said it would introduce a camera on a certain date, but the necessary software was not available for the purchasers on that date. Nikon released the camera and took the heat from the consumers about the software because it would have been worse to deal the Japanese law.

As an alternative, you can buy eBooks from international publishers or if you can obtain a non-resident library card from some public libraries.

You just can not buy eBooks from Barnes & Nobel.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Alexandrus wrote:

Hi all, this is just unbelievable and terrible news, what's the internet for then if not to eliminate frontiers and provide access to the info anywhere, anytime, does anyone know if B&N will sell internationally anytime soon? As for now, my nook has decorative purposes, more like a digital frame ....

B&N can't just decide to sell internationally.  They have to negotiate contracts with publishers and set up all the infastructure to comply with all the laws, regulations and taxes of each individual country.  Since they're currently a US only business, they have none of this in place, they have to start at the beginning.  Some books are available in Canada, but more are not available than are, partially due to restrictions by the Canadian government.

We used to be able to buy eBooks from at least one UK publisher, that was stopped sometime last year.  So just as B&N can't sell internationally, other eBook retailers cannot sell to buyers in the US.  However, the good news is that you can buy eBooks from retailers in the foreign countries and sideload them to the Nook, as long as they are in an ePub format the Nook will recognize, which should be most of them, except for the iBookstore format.

New User
bdot
0 Kudos

Hi

I live in Canada and have been researching the Nook Color.  From what I read it seemed that if you had a US address (either billing or shipping, can't recall which), you could still down load books.

Is this new that you need a US IP address?

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

bdot wrote:

Hi

I live in Canada and have been researching the Nook Color.  From what I read it seemed that if you had a US address (either billing or shipping, can't recall which), you could still down load books.

Is this new that you need a US IP address?

Thanks

Because a small number of B&N books are available to Canada, Canadian addresses are also allowed (the only exception).

There are two different checks:

1. An IP-address check if you are allowed to buy anything at all. US and Canadian IP-addresses are allowed.

2. An shipping/billing address check if you are allowed to buy books available to the US, or those available to Canada.

As B&N is an US company people usually only mention an US IP-address. It is also easier to find an US VPN, than an Canadian VPN.

New User
bdot
0 Kudos

Thank you geertm for the usefull information!  The Nook Color is back as the forerunner in my list of ereaders I am considering:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Alexandrus wrote:

It's not a simple proposition.  Look at Apple's online store experience.  They have had to negotiate individual distribution rights in just about every single country they offer an online store, dealing with each nations copyright, tax distribution and other laws.  To this day, there are still many countries without an online iTunes store, simply because the negatiations have proven intractable, or too costly (we all know lawyers do not work cheap, and negotiating foreign marketing agreements can take years to complete).

I'm sure online retailers would love to sell internationally, but copyright law alone makes that a nightmare to set up, not to mention blatantly illegal across many national boundaries.  Only those companies with really deep financial pockets, like Apple and Amazon, have made major inroads in working towards being an international online presence.  And even then, there are the geographic boundaries - people in some non-english countries complain they cannot buy English language books through iTunes - because national laws prohibit Apple from offering them in those countries.  In the middle east, religious law may also restrict what a company can offer.  There are all sorts of restrictions that have nothing to do at all with the companies involved, they have to do solely with the political and legal limitations imposed on international trade by the respective countries.

The internet may be intended to know no boundaries, but nations' own copyright, tax and trade laws sure enforce them.

New User
moonash
0 Kudos

For people outside US we have no other option except KOBO.com. I have buy several time from them recently.

Reader
think_r
0 Kudos

@bdot hi. Please how did you solve this challenge? I'm currently having the same issue and would love to find a way around it.

Thank you

'Fisayo

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 319 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: