Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

Calibre Question

I installed Calibre tonight (Windows Vista Home), and once it installs and I try to open it, it freezes within seconds. I get the "Calibre stopped working" windows error.

Does anyone know something I should be doing differently, or a setting I need to change somewhere?

Thanks!

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre Question

Check the size of the file that downloaded, it should be 29.7 MB for v 0.7.22. It doesn't happen often but occasionally you don't get the full download for some reason or it may have been corrupted somehow. Try re-downloading the program. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Also, try the Calibre forum over at mobilereads. The software team that made and updates Calibre actually shows up to help over there so you may find more detailed help there (especially for what looks like a system issue). You may possibly find some help here about using Calibre.

The cake is a lie.
Reader 4
LilGator
0 Kudos

You will need to be VERY patient with Calibre. It is VERY computer processor and memory intensive.

Chances are, when you think it's stuck, it's just still busy.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

LilGator wrote:

You will need to be VERY patient with Calibre. It is VERY computer processor and memory intensive.

Chances are, when you think it's stuck, it's just still busy.

Really - what kind of computer system do you have?

It doesn't take my computer even 2 seconds from the time I double-click the Calibre icon to my library being up and available. I find Calibre easy on computer resources.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Interesting. On my AMD 9950 quad core I see a main Calibre thread with 6 additional parallel threads all running.

I would surmise that Calibre performance is somewhat predicated on the type and speed of the processor and how many parallel threads it's able to initialize ... along with HD read/write speeds, etc.

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

What OS are you using?

I'm on Vista and after I launch Calibre, it is completely unresponsive to anything except the close button.

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

I'm on Vista.

I double click the icon, it opens up fairly quickly, but within a few seconds, it kind of grays out, and windows throws up a "Windows is looking for a solution to the problem" notice.  Then, it says "Calibre.exe has stopped working" and my only option is to close it using the windows dialog box.

My husband uses it on his Vista laptop, and it works perfectly, so I'm guessing there's a setting or something on mine that is causing the error.

I've opened a Calibre "bug" ticket, so hopefully I'll get it working soon.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

One suggestion I'd make: be sure your .NET libraries are up to date. I believe Calibre makes use of them and as it's constantly being developed, I'd assume the developer is keeping his updated as well.

BTW, to technogirl, I'm on a Win XP Pro 64 bit system and my wife uses Calibre on Windows 7.

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Reader 2
MobyD
0 Kudos

There's always the possibility of a corrupted download if the program has never worked. You could try uninstalling Calibre, re-downloading and re-installing. All you'd lose is a little time, but if it works, you're good to go.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

TheRoadRunner wrote:

Interesting. On my AMD 9950 quad core I see a main Calibre thread with 6 additional parallel threads all running.

I would surmise that Calibre performance is somewhat predicated on the type and speed of the processor and how many parallel threads it's able to initialize ... along with HD read/write speeds, etc.

Cheers.

That would be correct. It's practically instantaneous on mine. I have an Intel Core2 Extreme Quad-Core - when Calibre runs it is the main program and 6 parallel threads. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie

Well, I've completely uninstalled, made sure there were no Calibre files in my recycle bin or hiding anywhere else, and then re-downloaded and installed, with the same result. I am working with the Calibre "bug" support people, so hopefully they will be able to help me. Like I said, it works perfectly on my husband's identical computer, which is really frustrating.  At least he is letting me use his until I can get this figured out.

Also, I'm not sure what .NET files are, so I don't know if they are up to date, but I do auto updates from Windows, so I would think everything is.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Auto update does not necessarily pick up .NET files.  I think Microsoft is up to 4.0 now.  You would need to go to the site here:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&dis...

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Do we know that Calibre actually requires vers. 4.0?

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I don't know.  I looked at their web site and didn't see anything.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

There's a new build that fixes the unresponsiveness.

Guess it wasn't our computers that was the problem, but the program.

Inspired Contributor
justmejh
0 Kudos

Im impressed with the Calibre folks as its being updated and improved a a very fast rate B&N should hire this guy to work on the Nook software update :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 222 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: