Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
c-d-b
0 Kudos

Can Amazon E-Books be read on Nook?

Can I read e-books I buy from Amazon on Nook? Does anyone know about this?

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Re: Can Amazon E-Books be read on Nook?

The answer is NO!  Not to me mean but you should try searching for you answers before posting a question.  There is a search bar on the right hand side of the page and you will find it will be your best friend!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
Rich_C
0 Kudos

You can't load a book on the Nook that has Amazon's file format and Amazon's DRM on it.

New User
c-d-b
0 Kudos

Thank you I am new to social networking and can use all the help I can get.

Contributor
nanach
0 Kudos

It's a shame that you can't get the ebooks from Amazon because several books that I want are on Amazons Kindle but not on the Nook. I researched all the ebooks before I decided I liked the Nook the best but I guess I didn't check very good on new releases. Because I see all the ones I want under Kindle but very few of them on Nook yet. I wish they would release them on Nook sooner! I still like my Nook though.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
nanach wrote:

I see all the ones I want under Kindle but very few of them on Nook yet.

This is the case for a few titles, but for the big names it's usually only for a few days.

The thing is, don't think that you have to buy from B&N. There are many different e-bookstores out there, and about the only ones you can't buy from are Amazon and the soon-to-be-opened iBookstore.

The InkMesh and AddALL search engines will help you find who has what titles, and at what prices.

Bear in mind that right now everything's in an uproar because the 'Agency Model' went into effect today. Amazon currently can't sell any books published by Hachette or Penguin, and Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are crippled until they can get new contracts and e-book feeds in place.

Right now, I'd say to try B&N (of course), the Sony e-bookstore, and Kobo Books. They all seem to have survived the Agency Model Transition unbloodied, and between them you'll find just about all of the titles currently available for the nook. Or like I said, try searching with InkMesh and AddAll.

New User
Aglaia761
0 Kudos

You'll have to convert your Amazon books first

If you download Calibre, you'll be able to convert your amazon books to ePub's.  It's a great tool and I use it to manage my ebook library.

www.calibre.com

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: You'll have to convert your Amazon books first

Aglaia761 wrote:

If you download Calibre, you'll be able to convert your amazon books to ePub's.  It's a great tool and I use it to manage my ebook library.

www.calibre.com

This only works if the AMZ book is not DRMed, good luck with that!

Amazon gives publishers easier control over DRM in Kindle ebooks

Frequent Contributor
jwinterDE
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Can Calibre handle the Amazon DRM?

Ooops, beat me to it :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Rich_C
0 Kudos

Calibre doesn't handle any DRM. It can only convert a book if there's no DRM on it. 

What's even more annoying with Amazon is that even the ebooks that are $0.00 may have DRM on them and you can't read them on another device. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Rich_C wrote:

Calibre doesn't handle any DRM. It can only convert a book if there's no DRM on it. 

What's even more annoying with Amazon is that even the ebooks that are $0.00 may have DRM on them and you can't read them on another device. 

This was covered in the Kindle forums a while back.  THe DRM on "free" books is with cause.  First, Amazon often offers a free book by a certain author that is specifically for Kindle customers (very similar to the freebies by B&N.) Secondly, Amazon often offers a "better" version of a public domain book.  THis means it's formatting is good and without errors.  Sometimes you can find these at other places like Gutenberg and sometimes you can't.  THird, there are many independent authors that use Amazon's distribution system for their ebooks and offer a book free for a limited time.  Amazon leaves DRM on them as they are allowed to raise or lower the cost whenever they want.

Frequent Contributor
Rich_C
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

This was covered in the Kindle forums a while back.  THe DRM on "free" books is with cause.  First, Amazon often offers a free book by a certain author that is specifically for Kindle customers (very similar to the freebies by B&N.) Secondly, Amazon often offers a "better" version of a public domain book.  THis means it's formatting is good and without errors.  Sometimes you can find these at other places like Gutenberg and sometimes you can't.  THird, there are many independent authors that use Amazon's distribution system for their ebooks and offer a book free for a limited time.  Amazon leaves DRM on them as they are allowed to raise or lower the cost whenever they want.

Of course they think there's cause to leave DRM on it, otherwise they wouldn't do it. It doesn't mean that their rationalization is accurate or good for consumers or even authors. As far as the items you've posted, I don't think they hold up to much scrutiny.
First, you don't have to own a Kindle to buy and read an ebook from Amazon. I can read it on my PC or other device that runs their ereader software.So anyone can purchase and read an ebook from Amazon. They just can't then read what they've purchased on a device other than their device that runs free kindle software. 
As far as authors who make books free for a limited time, it doesn't change their ability to change the price later. That's exactly the situation where I realized that they DRM free books. I downloaded a free ebook to the Kindle software on my PC and I was going to convert it with Calibre to read on a different device. No can do. I could still read the book on my PC, but I really don't like reading on the PC, so what exactly did they accomplish? They prevented me from reading the book on a device that I'd like to, which means I'm not going to read the book. If I read it and liked it, I would have purchased other books in the series. So the net result is that the author lost potential book sales.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Short Answer: No, you can't read kindle books on the nook

Long Answer: IF you are technically savvy and aren't worried about the moral or legal implications of removing DRM from the .amz file, you can remove the DRM and convert the file to ePub using Calibre.  Then you can read the kindle file on your nook.

Contributor
Great_Caesars_Ghost

JdiennoPSU wrote:

The answer is NO!  Not to me mean but you should try searching for you answers before posting a question.  There is a search bar on the right hand side of the page and you will find it will be your best friend!

Which is worse?

The person who is new to the boards and asks a simple question that takes one word to answer?

Or the person who writes a response that takes more time and effort to read, and wastes more time than just answering the question and leaving it at that?

Everything is not so black and white. Some people are good at research and others prefer interaction.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Great_Caesars_Ghost wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Which is worse?

The person who is new to the boards and asks a simple question that takes one word to answer?

Or the person who writes a response that takes more time and effort to read, and wastes more time than just answering the question and leaving it at that?

Everything is not so black and white. Some people are good at research and others prefer interaction.

And some people are just lazy...  Regardless, what is wrong with a little education along with the answer?  Using the search function is a basic standard on ANY message board.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Great_Caesars_Ghost wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Which is worse?

And some people are just lazy...  Regardless, what is wrong with a little education along with the answer?  Using the search function is a basic standard on ANY message board.

And one that is often ignored and always argued about once a message board begins to have more than a few members.

New User
Gabriello
0 Kudos

The website for caliber is the following:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Gabriello wrote:

The website for caliber is the following:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Why are you resurrecting a 10 month old thread?

And as previously mentioned, Calibre does not work on DRMed files, which Amazon ebooks are.

Inspired Contributor
UMSkypilot
0 Kudos

I purchased books from Amazon before I bought my nook. I removed the drm and converted the books with Calibre, then added them to my nook. I did not remove the DRM to give the book away or share it - only to load it onto my nook. For a reasonably tech savvy person it was very easy to do. Thus, the correct answer is: Yes, you can use Amazon books, but it requires some effort.

Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly
New User
mzpastrychef
0 Kudos

Hown did u actually convert it.. i looked online for the ways to remove that code but no such luck.. like many i had tons of amazon books before i bought my nook and now I just want them on my nook,,,

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 309 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: