Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
jbeige
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-23-2011
0 Kudos

Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

Hello,

 

I have a Nook 3G + wifi (original version). I recently purchased a Nook Simple Touch Reader for my wife for Christmas, and I'm working on setting it up so it's ready to go when she opens it. I have configured it to use the same account as my nook, so we can more easily share books. I have my nook and my ipod app set to sync my last page read, but I would like to set her nook to not sync with other devices. Is this possible? She doesn't use other devices, and won't need this feature, and it will allow us to read the same book (which is rare, but plausable).

 

Thanks,

Jon

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

[ Edited ]

It's not possible to do so at this time. What a lot of people do is actually set up 2 accounts. Then, if one person wants to read a book the other person bought, they use the app for pc to download it to a computer, and then sideload it to the nook. When they try to open the book, it requires the purchaser's CC info, for the first book opened only.

It's a little more cumbersome and covers for these may not display, but it helps to keep libraries separate. That way, if she has cookbooks on hers, and you have Western novels on yours, you don't have them show up on both devices.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?


deemure wrote:

It's not possible to do so at this time. What a lot of people do is actually set up 2 accounts. Then, if one person wants to read a book the other person bought, they use the app for pc to download it to a computer, and then sideload it to the nook. When they try to open the book, it requires the purchaser's CC info, for the first book opened only.

It's a little more cumbersome and covers for these may not display, but it helps to keep libraries separate. That way, if she has cookbooks on hers, and you have Western novels on yours, you don't have them show up on both devices.

This is how we have my son's nook set up. So far we don't have his registered to his own account yet (it's my old N1E) but I've sideloaded all the books from my account I think he'll be interested in or are appropriate for a 10 year old. I opened the first book and put in my CC info, so the B&N books would be ready for him to read. It has worked out really well for us.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,700
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?


frantastk wrote:

deemure wrote:

It's not possible to do so at this time. What a lot of people do is actually set up 2 accounts. Then, if one person wants to read a book the other person bought, they use the app for pc to download it to a computer, and then sideload it to the nook. When they try to open the book, it requires the purchaser's CC info, for the first book opened only.

It's a little more cumbersome and covers for these may not display, but it helps to keep libraries separate. That way, if she has cookbooks on hers, and you have Western novels on yours, you don't have them show up on both devices.

This is how we have my son's nook set up. So far we don't have his registered to his own account yet (it's my old N1E) but I've sideloaded all the books from my account I think he'll be interested in or are appropriate for a 10 year old. I opened the first book and put in my CC info, so the B&N books would be ready for him to read. It has worked out really well for us.


This is what my parents do too.  They're pretty happy with the setup.  As they're using the same credit card on both accounts, they didn't even need to enter the CC info the first time they sideloaded from the other's account.

New User
jbeige
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

Thanks for the info, just one question.. What do you mean by sideload?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,700
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

Sideloading is when you add a book to your nook via your computer.  In the N1E you'd be adding it to the "My Documents" section of your nook, and that's where you'll see sideloaded books when using the device.  On the N2E you'd load the book the same way (there's no B&N Downloads folder visible so you can't put it in the wrong folder like you can on the N1E) but the N2E doesn't separate out sideloaded content from B&N content on the device, so the book will just appear in the library with everything else.

 

To sideload a B&N-purchased book, download either Nook for PC (if you have a PC) or Nook Study (PC or Mac) and then download the books you want to sideload.  Then connect the nook to the computer and drop them into the appropriate folder on the nook.

New User
jbeige
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

Outstanding, Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
ColleenBland
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎01-07-2011

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

All of these are great suggestions! On a side note, you may not need to worry about it since the Simple Touch has a built in message prompt for books being read in more than one place. If you are reading the same book and the other device is on a different page the Simple Touch will ask if you would like to jump to the furthest page read or "stay where I am". If she taps "stay where I am", then the page will remain where she left off.

Contributor
A-Ron
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

Call me cynical but if you ask me this is B&N's way of trying to make kore money by making it difficullt for people to read the same book off one account. Ridiculous.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 2,001
Registered: ‎01-04-2010

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?


A-Ron wrote:
Call me cynical but if you ask me this is B&N's way of trying to make kore money by making it difficullt for people to read the same book off one account. Ridiculous.

And this is just further proof that you can't please everyone.

 

With all the people complaining that the sync is not working, here is someone complaining that it is.

 

Contributor
3tzmom
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎03-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can I disable syncing last page read among devices?

You can also just keep the wii Fii off while reading the book and then it can not autosynch.  I don't have a reason for wii fii unless I am loading new books.  That's what I have been doing with our multiple tablets.  Also If you say you don't want to go to furtherest page it keeps you where you are.  Watch the book mark tab at the top of the page because that is what synchs the reading page. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 583 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: