Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tjhopedale

Can I download a Kindle book to my Nook?

There are a few books I need for school and they are available for the Kindle, but not the Nook.  Is it possible to put them on the Nook from Amazon? 

Thanks

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Can I download a Kindle book to my Nook?

No. Amazon requires that you read their e-books with a Kindle or a Kindle app.

Correspondent
Rasyr

If the books do NOT contain any DRM, you could use Calibre to convert them from the Kindle format to the epub format and then side-load them to the nook.

However, if they do contain DRM (which is likely), then they do need the Kindle or the Kindle app (this, IMO, is the biggest strike against the Kindle -- Amazon's whole embrace/extend/replace attitude on ebooks -- it is a mirror of the same BS that Microsoft pulls (and gets in trouble for pulling)).

Also, before definitively saying that the books are not available for the nook, have you checked using a site like http://ebooks.addall.com/ which will search a wide range of ebook stores and report back who sells it and what format the book is in.

The good thing about the nook is that you CAN purchase ebooks from stores other than B&N, and then sideload the books onto the nook.

So while it is possible that B&N may not have the books you are looking for, it is also possible that somebody else does, and in a format that the nook can read.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
New User
Bronwyn56
0 Kudos

Thank you for this information. I am new to the nook and I'm still finding my way around a world I did not think I would visit. I'm a bit old school and I did not think I would like the eBook. I have been pleasantly surprised. Space was becoming a real factor in my book collection and I am hoping this will help. That doesn't mean I will not continue to buy "real" books, just not as many!! My husband is at a loss to understand me. Again thank you for this information.

New User
AshleyLauran
0 Kudos

New User
JennRosa
0 Kudos

What about the Nook READER?  Or is this method strictly for a tablet?

New User
suobs
0 Kudos

Rasyr, your response strikes me as misleading and unfair to Amazon if we're talking about Nook Tablet. Amazon offers a Kindle app for Android which should make downloading and reading a Kindle book a simple matter on any Android device.  The real question is whether B&N allows you to install the app! If for an Android device like Nook Tablet the answer is no, the fault is with B&N.

BTW, your defense of the number of titles available for Nook is also off the mark.  There are many reasons besides "The book is not available for Nook" for wanting to read a Kindle book on a Nook.  The main one is you may already own dozens of Kindle book and don't want to buy them again or convert them all to another format . . . but you want to switch from a Kindle reader to a Nook reader. 

This dueling banjos approach manufacturers take to readers misses the point that people want to read books, not worry about which store they buy them from.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

suobs wrote:

Rasyr, your response strikes me as misleading and unfair to Amazon if we're talking about Nook Tablet.

Rasyr wrote that almost two years ago. There was no NOOK Tablet then. There was no NOOK Color then. Back then, the only NOOK was the original NOOK.

New User
luyun
0 Kudos

You can convert the Kindle books into EPUB format. View details here:

http://www.epubor.com/read-kindle-books-on-nook.html

New User
mtsnowfall
0 Kudos

I've heard that now that the Android Market is open for the Nook HD and Nook HD+, that we can now download the Kindle app.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

mtsnowfall wrote:
I've heard that now that the Android Market is open for the Nook HD and Nook HD+, that we can now download the Kindle app.

Yeah, but this question was asked years ago, in a forum for a discontinued device, which isn't sold any more, that doesn't have any sort of app store.

This poster still can't download a Kindle book to his NOOK.

New User
AELR
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

The Nook software was designed to encourage you to make your electronic publication purchases from Barnes and Noble. Kindle software was designed with similar motives. You might be able to load the competing retailer's software on the tablet models, but with the dedicated reader models you're only going to able to use WiFi to download from the retailer whose label is on your reader. That limitation isn't particularly likely to change without rooting your device (replacing it's operating system with an OS that's not sanctioned by the reader "manufacturer"), which will probably void any manufacturer's warranty or extended  maintenance/replacement plan.

You might also find computer utilities on the Internet to convert one retailer's file format(s) to the competing retailer's formats. When the original e-publication file contains Digital Rights Management (DRM) copy protection features that conversion might not comply with some countries' laws. Similar restrictions might apply to many movies and TV shows rented or purchased from retail stores or online services. Once a file is converted you can connect  your reader (or tablet) to the computer and use the computer's normal file management utility to copy the files to your reader in a process often referred to as "sideloading".

New User
legacyRD
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 1,062 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: