Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
miclinda
0 Kudos

Can I use Nook without having WiFi?

[ Edited ]

I don't have wireless internet at my home but I do have high speed (not dial up).  Can I plug my phone line into a nook to connect it to internet or do I have to have WiFi?  Also, once I have downloaded a book, can I read it anywhere or do I have to be connected to the internet?

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: I don't have WiFi

miclinda wrote:

Can I plug my phone line into a nook to connect it to internet or do I have to have WiFi?  Also, once I have downloaded a book, can I read it anywhere or do I have to be connected to the internet?

Sorry, but no, you cannot plug your phone line in to the Nook.  The Nook can connect via 3g wireless cell-phone networks, via WiFi, or you can side load from your computer via a USB cable. 

You can read the book anywhere once you have down loaded it.  No network connection is needed to read.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Can I use Nook without having WiFi?

You can't plug it in. If you buy the 3G+WiFi version of the NOOK, you can use AT&T 3G for shopping at B&N.

Once an e-book is loaded on the NOOK, you don't need to be connected to anybody to read it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ miclinda,

No, you can't plug your phone line into the nook to connect to the internet.  Even if you don't have a wireless router, have you checked to see if you are in a good 3G area?  

Once you download a book, you do not have to be connected to the internet.  In fact, I usually leave my airport mode on unless I specifically want to update something.

New User
miclinda
0 Kudos

If I didn't want to go to estra expense of getting WiFi or 3G-WiFi, could I just go to a Barnes and Noble store every so often to download books I want to read and then take the nook home to read them?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ miclinda,

You mean if you don't want to put in a wireless router?  Sure, you can go to B&N, connect there wirelessly and buy whatever books you'd like.  

Or you can access your B&N account through your computer, purchase the books you want, download them to your computer and side load them to your nook.  At that point they would appear in "My Documents" and you wouldn't be able to see them in your B&N account and on your touch screen in cover flow.

A search of this forum and/or checking out the user guide will give you clearer instructions on various ways to get content onto your nook.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

If you have the original Nook, it comes with 3G and the 3G is free.  It also comes ready for WiFi and you can use any free WiFi at B&N or coffee shops, etc. 

There is a WiFi only version, which does not have 3G capability. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

miclinda wrote:

If I didn't want to go to estra expense of getting WiFi or 3G-WiFi, could I just go to a Barnes and Noble store every so often to download books I want to read and then take the nook home to read them?

Yes you can do that.

You can also download to your PC, and use the USB cable to copy the files to the nook.  (You can also read them on the PC if you want with the free B&N reader).

But you may be over estimating the costs here.

The cheapest nook (149) has wifi built in.

The cheapest WiFI router costs under 30 bucks, some for under $20

The cheapest 3G nook costs 50 bucks. 

So a low end router (you don't need anything more) will cost less than half as much as the price for adding 3G to the nook, and that router will also be usable for laptops, smartphones, etc.

Contributor
MarieSH
0 Kudos

As others shave said, no you can't plug your nook into the phone

but if you have the version with 3g then you can shop B & N from your nook w/o it.  one you purchase then just check for new b&n content.  If you have the version w/o 3g then you can connect nook to your computer & sideload things onto your nook.  Or maybe there are places nearby that have free wifi. Once you have a book loaded onto your nook, you don't need wifi or 3g to read it.

New User
miclinda
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hate to sound ignorant, but I really am (when it comes to technology).  When you say I can get a router for $20-30, is this a one time fee and I don't have to pay a monthly cost for it to work?  Are you saying that if I bought a router and put it in my home that I could load ebooks at home and not pay a monthly fee for using a router?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

miclinda wrote:

I hate to sound ignorant, but I really am (when it comes to technology).  When you say I can get a router for $20-30, is this a one time fee and I don't have to pay a monthly cost for it to work?  Are you saying that if I bought a router and put it in my home that I could load ebooks at home and not pay a monthly fee for using a router?

One time purchase.  You still pay your internet provider for its connection, but not an additional charge.  These days many internet providers will give you a wireless router, but probably only on initial connection or upgrade. 

Most wireless routers now support WPA2 security.  Read other threads or check other sites about security.  It is best to not use any of the older security such as WEP or even WPA. 

Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

miclinda wrote:

You don't really need a router, but you do need to pay for monthly internet service, unless you have the Nook with 3G.  A router is just a device which splits the internet signal coming into your home so that you can receive the signal wirelessly and/or feed it to multiple devices.  Without a router, you would just have your computer connected to a cable bringing in the internet feed...and then you would download the books onto the computer and transfer them to the Nook via the USB cable. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

miclinda already stated he/she had broadband, so that part is a given.

So the router would be a one time cost.  No reoccurring fees.

It doesn't help READING books, nook doesn't need any internet connection for that, you can read anywhere.  It just helps BUYing books.

I suggest it only as an alternative to spending 50 bucks to get the 3G version of the nook.

But there is a price to pay for complexity.  If miclinda does not want to mess with additional routers, or if travel is frequent then the 3G version has a lot of merit.

We are talking about a one time $50 3G purchase vs a one time $20 purchase.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

If she doesn't have anyone around who can help her set up the wireless network (ie set up router, settings and security and get WiFi up and running) and troubleshoot and maintain in the future, and she wants to have the WifI I would recommend that she have her internet provider provide and set up the router.  Yes, that may cost an additional small monthly fee to "rent" the router, and a fee to set it up, but then they are responsible for providing support if there is a problem.  

That is what I did with my parents.  I have no problem setting up and maintaining a wireless network at home, but I live in a different state, so I can't be there to troubleshoot and fix any problems they may experience.  In the long run, having her cable company responsible for it works out better.

But, if miclinda doesn't have any other need for a wireless network and has adequate AT&T 3g service in her area, she should buy the Nook with the 3G and use it.  It's an extra $50 one time only, and is probably the easiest solution.  Or, as she said, she could go into B&N periodically and purchase and download books, but I like the ability to be able to buy without going to B&N if she buys the WiFi only version.

The sideload solution will also work, but that also puts all the books in My Documents.

If miclinda hasn't purchased the Nook, she might benefit from going to a Nook clinic in her area and talk with the representatives.  Some stores do have folks who know and understand the product.

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

If you have the original nook (which has 3G), you don't need wi-fi.  I've bought books "on the fly" before (meaning while out and about), and nowhere near a wi-fi hotspot. 

Went on a road trip with hubby, and while cruising down the freeway, I bought a book (while my husband was driving, ofcourse...LOL).  So you don't need wi-fi if you have the original nook.

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Inspired Contributor
justmejh
0 Kudos

WiFi is not that expensive a cheap Wifi Router can be had for as little as 35$, step up and get a router if not enjoy your time at Starbucks/Mc Donalds using their free Wifi to do your book shopping and updateing.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

@Justmejh,  Read the thread before posting.  This ground has been covered.

New User
SuzieQ53
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 1,025 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: