Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
julesnook
0 Kudos

Can I use a car charger to charge the nook?

It has the same usb as my cell phone, so my car charger will fit.  Does anyone know if this will hurt it?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Can I use a car charger to charge the nook?

More than likely it will work.

Most car chargers put out the same as a PC USB port.

The way you tell is looking at the specifications of the charger.  It should put out 5 volts and anywhere from .5 amps (500milliamps) to 1 amp.    Typical car chargers for things like iPhones fall into this range.  Almost anything with a USB jack on it will fall into this range.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

My cellphone car charger also has a usb port on it to charge things like ipods, iphones, etc. I plugged my nook into it and it worked just fine. 

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

Sure.  Just get one with a mini USB plug and it will work.  Blackberries and other smart phones commonly sell ones with these types of plugs.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Perry_Mason wrote:

Sure.  Just get one with a mini USB plug and it will work.  Blackberries and other smart phones commonly sell ones with these types of plugs.

MICRO USB.  not Mini.  Mini is the older type that a lot of digital cameras use - it's too big for the nook.  The nook uses the smaller/thinner micro USB.
Just don't want anyone buying the wrong adapter!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Its best to get and adapter that has a standard USB jack like the Nook's own wall wort.  That way you can use the proper cord for any device.

http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-Players-Charger/dp/B000CC6I5W

New User
TX_EX_PAT
0 Kudos

I use my Blackberry Storm car charger to charge my Nook, when desperate, and haven't had any issues yet! 

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link, icebike. While I'm not surprised these doo-dads exist, I didn't know that they did exist.

Frequent Contributor
AmericanMom
0 Kudos

It works.Re: Can I use a car charger to charge the nook?

It definitely works!  I use mine all the time!  My plug is interchagable with my iPhone charger.  They both work via USB so it's perfect!

New User
KarenTch
0 Kudos

I'm also wondering about the Nook Color charger cord, as well. The salesman at the store told me the Nook cord had an extra prong, making it not possible to use any other cord--citing that it was proprietary. I'm loving my Nook, but I'm not loving the pressure of thein-store salesman to "upsell" everything, right down to the egregiously overpriced SD cards. When I mentioned that I had used my mini usb phone charger cord on my Nook and it had worked, he said that I was lucky I didn't destroy the Nook.

Is there really a difference between the Nook connector cord and a regular USB?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

KarenTch wrote:

I'm also wondering about the Nook Color charger cord, as well. The salesman at the store told me the Nook cord had an extra prong, making it not possible to use any other cord--citing that it was proprietary. I'm loving my Nook, but I'm not loving the pressure of thein-store salesman to "upsell" everything, right down to the egregiously overpriced SD cards. When I mentioned that I had used my mini usb phone charger cord on my Nook and it had worked, he said that I was lucky I didn't destroy the Nook.

For the Nook color, yes, it does have that extra pin, so I'm not sure what the result would be using a regular micro USB connector.  For the Nook, I've done it, without a problem, but I would assume you do that at your own risk.  The connectors don't look any different to me.

Reader
scubagal
0 Kudos

I use my cell phone charger and my nook charger interchangeable all the time- the charge plug itself is stand alone, I just use the cable which is micro-usb and usb- so I don't see how it would be a different voltage- my car charger has two USB ports, so on long trips if I am driving, I charge both at the same time :smileyhappy: 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

KarenTch wrote:

There is a difference but the Nook Color can use a standard micro-USB cord as well, it just won't charge as fast.  I use a standard micro-USB with the NC when connecting to my computer for sideloading and I also use a standard micro-USB charger (from my cell phone) when I charge the NC overnight -- I don't want any issues with the A/C unit or cord while I'm asleep.  The Nook Color cord is great, certainly better for a fast charge than a standard cord, but you CAN use standard cords.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
New User
modemers
0 Kudos

I have the NookColor.  Yes you can plug a phone Micro charger into the NookColor and you will think you are charging.  But if you go to the settings and look, it will say "not charging."  When you unplug it, it will change to "discharging."

The case here is that, without the extra pin, you can RUN the NookColor off the car battery (or house current) but you are NOT charging the battery inside the Nook.  You are simply not depleting the charge in the internal battery.

Stinks but you have to use the NookColor charger.  This is fine for house use, since it comes with one.  But you need to buy one designed for the NookColor for car use.

Reader
kelseysuebug
0 Kudos

I think there is a difference in USBs and Nook chargers because my nook color charger got ate by my cruddy dog and now obviously won't work.  I've tried 3 different phone chargers with USBs that fit.  The Nook will turn on but it won't charge.  My next step is trying a car charger.  I've already ordered a new one from B&N but until then I'm gonna try anything anyone suggests.

Contributor
Valen2260
0 Kudos

I work at B&N and we occasionally have someone come in and ask us to charge their Nook (they lost the cord and have one on order, or they are on a trip, or whatever) and we will do that for them.  So if you are desperate, take it to B&N and let them charge it for you.  Granted you need to leave it there for 3-ish hours, but that's one solution.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

kelseysuebug wrote:

I think there is a difference in USBs and Nook chargers because my nook color charger got ate by my cruddy dog and now obviously won't work.  I've tried 3 different phone chargers with USBs that fit.  The Nook will turn on but it won't charge.  My next step is trying a car charger.  I've already ordered a new one from B&N but until then I'm gonna try anything anyone suggests.

You can charge your NC with any USB charger or USB port. You will not get the charging message, because that is only triggered by the NC charger, but it will charge.  And you can not use the NC while charging, because that will use more power than a USB port can supply.

A full charge will take about 8 hours.

New User
aagirlaareaderaa
0 Kudos

Your cell phones car charger? From my experience it won't charge it, but it won't charge it.

Contributor
debjax
0 Kudos

Yes, the NC will charge with a regular micro USB from the wall charger.  Not sure how fast or slow it does it, but I know that last week at my son's house inadvertently used a regular micro vs. the nook cord for 3 days when  went to bed at night.  It was fully charged each morning when I went to use it..

New User
don2775
0 Kudos

Thanks...I was wondering why when I plugged the nook cord into my wall charger it didn't trigger the screen to go on. I know now that it is chargingl it just wont let the screen come on.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 607 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: