Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
gramma2009
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Can't Change Email on Nook

I created a B&N account when I became a member & ordered my Nook. That was my work email. I need to change to my home email. I tried to change in my account, but apparently, I created an account with my home email at some point before. After lengthy explaining to Customer Service she "un-linked" my work email, I entered my home email, and was able to re-log in to my account correctly.

I waited an hour on hold for "Digital Support" to assist me in getting the email changed on my Nook. Never got anyone to come on the phone. Hung up. After reading website, it appears that I have to "Unregister" and then "Re-register" my Nook.  HERE'S THE PROBLEM...When I attempt to Unregister, it says "incorrect email please enter email" and goes to the email/password screen. I enter my home email & password, then it says "It appears that your Nook is ALREADY REGISTERED."  I am stuck in a Catch 22. I have to unregistered, but I can't because I'm already registered.........

PLEASE HELP. I go on vacation this week and I REALLY want my Nook to work - vacation's the MAIN reason I bought it. ANY IDEAS OR HELP???????????

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Change Email on Nook

When unregistering, it wants the email address to which it was originally registered.

Enter that old work address.

The re-register with the new address.

New User
jenross

I just got off the phone with support for the samw issue.... here is what you do.....

1)Go to Barnes & Noble.com

2)change your general account info  with your old e-mail (the one you registered with)

3)go to the nook to "device" button

4)unregister your nook

5)go back to b&n.com

6)change your account info to the e-mail you want to be registered with (i.e. your new e-mail address)

7)go back to nook and "register" your nook.

8)put in the new e-mail info

this should work!

New User
Aeolus
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting this info.  You saved me a trip across town to the B&N store.  It worked, but is a royal pain in the a**.  One would think there would be a way just to make the information in the nook match the new account data in one step.

Jack

Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

Appropos to this question, I think I was given some erroneous information by a Nook seller at my B&N.

He said the ONLY time I needed to unregister my Nook was when I was changing my email addresss (in other words do not need to do so to replace my default credit card).

This runs counter to my-understanding.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

They make the assumption that you have no side-loaded B&N content.

They want you to unregistered your nook, first.  At least at one point you couldn't do this if you already changed it online.

Change your email on your online account.  You don't have to change your credit card number.

Reregister your NOOK.  

At this point you will have to re-download all your ebooks/emags which will be encrypted (DRM'd) using the new email and credit card number.  Since Unregistering deletes your B&N content that should be necessary anyway.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Aeolus wrote:

Thank you for posting this info.  You saved me a trip across town to the B&N store.  It worked, but is a royal pain in the a**.  One would think there would be a way just to make the information in the nook match the new account data in one step.

Jack

I like it this way.

Someone steals your nook, they have to call you up and ask for your B&N password so they can register it under their own account....   :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

TNS wrote:

At this point you will have to re-download all your ebooks/emags which will be encrypted (DRM'd) using the new email and credit card number.  Since Unregistering deletes your B&N content that should be necessary anyway.

Hang on. I thought only the name and credit card number are used for the encryption (not the email address). Why would you ever need to redownload your books? Heck, even if you changed your cc number on your account, my understanding was that your existing books would still continue to work on the nook. If you then download a book with the new DRM (say, a redownload or a new purchase after changing your credit card number), a window would pop up on the nook asking for the CC# and name used for the new book. Anytime you then switched to a book with a different DRM, it would just ask you for the corresponding name and cc# for that book. Of course, redownloading everything would be more convenient (so you don't have to keep typing in info all the time) but it's not necessary, right?
Also, to get back to the original point, if you only change your email address (not name/CC#), even the DRM wouldn't change, right? Bit confused :smileyindifferent:

The cake is a lie.
Frequent Contributor
Suyai
0 Kudos

I actually changed credit cards a couple months ago and never had to unregister/reregister my nook, was never prompted for the new information, and have had no problems reading both old and new books. You can maintain multiple credit cards on an account, so it might be because I never removed my old card information, just added the new card and switched defaults

My understanding is that DRM is based on your credit card, your email is the login for your B&N account so there's no reason it should be involved with the DRM; however, your nook in general is registered and associated with your account so when it goes to 'login' with the old email it just bounces back. You can't register the nook to a different account without first unregistering from the old one otherwise you could theoretically have multiple accounts running to one nook.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

I ran a test and I was incorrect in thinking that the email was used as part of the DRM.  I opened a B&N book that was in PDB format with the EREADER.com eReader pro, and yes it wants Name and CC to do an unlock.

Still to access your account you need your email, and the only way to change that on Nook and the Nook apps is to unregister and reregister.  And after unregistering/reregistering you would need to redownload any books you have on the B&N bookshelf. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

@TNS

Makes sense. Thanks for running the tests and posting the info. :smileyhappy:

Another little tidbit - I recently changed my B&N password. Next time I got my nook out of standby, it immediately prompted me for the new password (probably because I was in the middle of a B&N purchased book in the B&N library application). Guess it authenticates the user each time if you're in the "protected zone". I wonder if it would do that even for accessing My docs. Good security though - I do hope that anyone who finds his/her nook missing immediately changes the account password. Doesn't lock everything but it's better than nothing.

The cake is a lie.
Reader
KarenSC
0 Kudos

This is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I tried unregistering my nook and then re-registering with the new email address I had changed to on B&N.com.  But it keeps telling me:

"Already registered?  This nook appears to be registered already."

And all I can do is press "Ok".  And my email in the nook does not change.

How difficult can they make it for us to do a simple email change?  The process should be a lot simpler than what it is. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

KarenSC wrote:

This is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I tried unregistering my nook and then re-registering with the new email address I had changed to on B&N.com.  But it keeps telling me:

How difficult can they make it for us to do a simple email change?  The process should be a lot simpler than what it is. 

Its not meant to be easy.  Its meant to provide some theft deterrent by making it so you cant just steal one and change the registration.

You have to unregister with the OLD email set as the default emain in your B&N account.

Then change emails and register again.

New User
cmc84
0 Kudos

A while ago, I did that to unregister and re-register under a different address, but this time that's not working. It says there's a problem with my account. When I look at my account at bn.com under the old email that I want to unregister from, my nook isn't registered there. But it says it is on the nook's settings. So it won't let me unregister my nook in the first place even if my email is set as the old/same one as on the nook. It says it's Error: c7706. So confusing..haha but I guess I'll have to call them. I hope they'll understand my problem.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

KarenSC wrote:

It is simple if you read page 67 in the User Guide.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
sparrowNC
0 Kudos

You're awesome!  I had experienced the same problem and your guidance was perfect!  Thanks for your help - now, I must get reading :smileyhappy:

New User
Shellme
0 Kudos

HERO!!!!!

Thank you! I was freaking out about what I was gonna do cause I got hacked and to change my email. I was gearing up for a big hassle when I found your post. I had everything back to normal in about 3 minutes! Thanks again!

New User
ajzmommy
0 Kudos

Thanks So Much!! This helped me alot! :smileyhappy:

New User
FairyDogmotherTo4
0 Kudos

This worked like a charm!  Wish I'd found this a couple of hours ago.

New User
aloha2483
0 Kudos

THANK YOU for posting the instructions!  Worked perfectly and you saved me a lot of UGH (frustrating) time!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 702 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: