Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mrsgiam
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Change Email on Nook

Thank you for posting this.  I was so frustrated with the phone center... I could barely understand the guy with his accent, and he sounded like he had a mouth full of rocks.  My husband found this forum for me. 

New User
BlackwidowNV
0 Kudos

I agree with Aeolus...what a pain just to change your email address!!  But I thank you very much, Jenross, for the info.  It also saved me a trip across town!  Too bad I already bought the Nook...with all this trouble maybe I should have bought the Kindle after all! 

New User
jm28JM
0 Kudos

Thank you!! I haven't been able to update my nook for 6 months - you just made it usable again!!
New User
Keepingfaith29
0 Kudos

You are awesome!!!

Reader 2
TazAZ
0 Kudos

Was glad to find the solution but what a PIA.  All my shelves are now gone and I will have to reorganize everything.

Reader 4
dee-jei
0 Kudos

The Server NEVER forgets.........unless you tell it to.

Everybody,

remember that you are communicating with computers.  If you do not DEREGISTER YOUR NOOK BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE ACCOUNT NAME.  IF YOU DO NOT.....here is what happens.  When you try to register to the new account name, the server will not allow it.  It KNOWS what account that nook belongs to and it is not the new account name.  It belongs to the OLD account name.  Unfortunately, since you change the account name, there is no account with the old name that you can register to and because it does not exist, you cannot deregister from it either.  We must help the poor confused computer / server.  Go back into the account and give it the old name.  NOW, the server sees the acct name that it knows that the nook is still registered to and you can now deregister from the old account name.  THEN, change the account name to the new name.  Now, register to the new account name.  The main thing to remember is....ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, before you change an account name, deregister ALL nooks from the account.  Hope this helped to understand the poor dumb computers.......they try hard,. but they only do what we tell them to do. 

Reader 4
dee-jei
0 Kudos

What a factory reset does.....and does not do

Sometimes people do a factory reset (also called a hard reset) and because they must enter the account name and password at the end of it, they believe that the device was de-registered.  This is NOT the case.  When you go to device settings and do a de-registration, the server is told that the device is no longer connected to the account name and it is then free to register to any other account name. 

When a factory reset is done, it is re-installing the operating system and in the process it wipes the memory clean.  It does not remember its account name or its password, so we have to reenter them.  However, we have NEVER told the server that we want to completely break the connection (ie. deregister) to the account name.  So, if we try to connect to another account name without de-registering from the original account name, the server will not allow it.  Hope this was informative.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 716 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: