Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Reader 4
HorseGirl13
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-24-2010
0 Kudos

Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

I am having a problem loading a few of my ebooks on my nook. All the books I am having a problem with are ones that I had purchased from B&N.com before purchasing a nook and had been reading them on my computer (so I know the files work, in theory). Normally when I open a book the screen on the nook reads "Opening your book". When I try to open these files the screen reads "Loading" and stays frozen on that screen without changing (regardless of how long I leave it alone) until I back out of the screen. It does not freeze up the nook unit or send me an error message. E-books I've purchased after getting my nook load with no problem. Here are the things I've tried to fix it....

- Archiving and redownloading the books

- Deleting the e-reader program from my computer (in case of conflict)

- Deleting and reregistering my nook account

- Resetting my nook to factory settings

- Resetting my default credit card

 

I'm running out of things to try! Anyone have any ideas?

Frequent Contributor
jdbakermn
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

Are you on version 1.4?  It might also just be something with those particular books.  What are the titles?

Distinguished Scribe
luvbooksCM
Posts: 914
Registered: ‎04-11-2010
0 Kudos

Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same problem with 5 of my books. The won't open. They were purchased on the B&N site, downloaded to nook, but won't open. I have 1.4 and a new nook (2 weeks old). I've contacted C.S. and have tried everything they have told me (archiving/unarchiving, deregistering/reregistering / rebooting etc...).

 

I went to the B&N store and tried downloading one of the books that won't open on my nook, onto the store display nook. It opened just fine. We are stumped as to why it will open on the demo nook, but not on my nook.

 

Michael-V is looking into the situation for me. You might want to PM him and tell him you are having the same problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

@HorseGirl13,

 

Even though you archive a book, either using the nook or online, the book is not necessarily removed from the nook.  Because of that when you unarchive you don't really download the book again, you just unarchive the book on the nook.  Archive the book again, plug your nook into your computer and delete the book from the nook drive using the computer.  Eject to the nook and uncable.  Go into your library and unarchive the book, now it will download a fresh file.  Hopefully that will work.

 

If all that fails and you don't want to wait for CS to find a solution, you can sideload the book to 'My Documents.'  Easiest is just to sideload the copy of the book being used by the B&N ereader software on your computer.

 

Good Luck.

New User
Silvermoss
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

I've tried 4 out of 5 of those listed and it didn't worked for me either. >_<

"Lean from the past, live in the present, plan for the future." - - Aubrey Farrell
"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval." -- Mark Twain
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." -- Alexander Hamilton
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

 


Ed_Mart wrote:

@HorseGirl13,

 

Even though you archive a book, either using the nook or online, the book is not necessarily removed from the nook.  Because of that when you unarchive you don't really download the book again, you just unarchive the book on the nook.  Archive the book again, plug your nook into your computer and delete the book from the nook drive using the computer.  


 

 

Whoa, Ed.  That's not exactly right.

 

Archiving DOES remove the book from the nook.  Unarchived downloads a fresh copy.

 

But there is a bug in archiving that turns it into a two step procedure.  (This bug showed up in 1.3 and is still there).

 

 

  1. Make sure Wifi or 3G it turned ON  (airplane mode off)
  2. Archive the misbehaving book
  3. Move the selection off of that book
  4. Check for new B&N content.

 

 

Only then will the archive take place. The book will be removed from the nook.  Its title will either disappear or get grayed out, depending on your Show/Hide archived items setting.

 

 

Then select Show archived Items and you will see the archived items in gray.

Select the book and choose unarchived from the item menu

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

[ Edited ]

Icebike,

 

I realize the virtual file system is supposed to remove archived books from the nook but I wrote my post because for some users this may not be the case. 

 

I currently have 62 books in my B&N Library, 12 are active, 50 are archived.  Of those 62 books, 50 are on my nook.  So it would seem that not all archived books are being removed by the virtual file system.

 

I am aware of the bug and do a check for content after each archive so that the title is ghosted indicating an archive.

 

All things considered, it is not surprising that all nooks do not perform the same - this board is proof of that.  There are enough bugs around that given my experience, I consider advising someone to check the nook's folder system for a book that (normally) should no longer be there to be prudent.  Especially in light of that book's failure to open and the op's having stated that she has already tried an archive/unarchive. 

Reader 4
HorseGirl13
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

An Update! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Just wanted you all to know that while I didn't have archived files hanging around on my nook, it DID work when I downloaded the file to my computer and sideloaded the nonresponsive ebooks to "My Documents" on the nook. I have to go to the "View My Documents" menu option on the nook but I can read them. Until they fix the problem if anyone else can't open ebooks I reccommend doing it this way.

 

Thanks All!!!!

 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

 


Ed_Mart wrote:

Icebike,

 

I realize the virtual file system is supposed to remove archived books from the nook but I wrote my post because for some users this may not be the case. 

 

I currently have 62 books in my B&N Library, 12 are active, 50 are archived.  Of those 62 books, 50 are on my nook.  So it would seem that not all archived books are being removed by the virtual file system.

 

I am aware of the bug and do a check for content after each archive so that the title is ghosted indicating an archive.

 


 

 

Unless you side loaded those books, having 50 archived books STILL on your nook is more than just a bug, it suggests a potential warranty problem.

 

My book count has always matched my un-archived book count.  Except in the case where I thought it archived but fell into the two step archive process trap.  But even with the trap, the books are not grayed.  They remain in black type, until removed.

 

So your nook sounds like it is corrupted, and maybe in need of a factory reset.

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

 


HorseGirl13 wrote:

An Update! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Just wanted you all to know that while I didn't have archived files hanging around on my nook, it DID work when I downloaded the file to my computer and sideloaded the nonresponsive ebooks to "My Documents" on the nook. I have to go to the "View My Documents" menu option on the nook but I can read them. Until they fix the problem if anyone else can't open ebooks I reccommend doing it this way.

 

Thanks All!!!!

 

 

 

The side load trick has solved many instances of books that won't open.  

 

But you should report the book title to CS because this suggests there was something wrong with the book that it won't open normally.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

 


icebike wrote:

 

 

Unless you side loaded those books, having 50 archived books STILL on your nook is more than just a bug, it suggests a potential warranty problem.

 

My book count has always matched my un-archived book count.  Except in the case where I thought it archived but fell into the two step archive process trap.  But even with the trap, the books are not grayed.  They remain in black type, until removed.

 

So your nook sounds like it is corrupted, and maybe in need of a factory reset.

 

 


 

 

Well, you're right.  Something was corrupt but it didn't need a factory reset, just a hard reset.  Now the files match the book unarchived count.

 

Thanks, I didn't even realize I had a problem.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
Posts: 571
Registered: ‎11-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

This problem sounds more like the positioning problem that occurs on the NOOK for some B&N eBooks.  Esp. Since the same book can be read if side loaded into your My Documents.

 

To get around the problem try opening the book on your PC with the B&N Desktop reader.  Move the current page on the PC to some other place, such as chapter 2.  Sync the PC ereader with the B&N site (in 2.5 a square button with a counter clockwise arrow.  Then on the Nook, reboot it (press power button for 5 seconds until the screen goes blank, then power on and wait for full startup sequence to complete), then open "My Library" and do a Check for new B&N content.

 

The nook has a problem positioning some books to certain material, often at the beginning of some books.  For some of these books, such as the free "Dracula" I can always cause it to be not open on the Nook just by opening on the PC and positioning to the Title page and syncing.  Early on I was having lots of problems with books I was reading both on the PC and the NOOK that were working suddenly not opening on the Nook because of this problem.  Now I make sure I am away from certain items, such as graphics.  The early pages in a book often containing special formatting and graphics that the Nook chokes on but if it succeeds in opening will just skip.

 

 

Contributor
LittleGrayLC
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Load Certain B&N EBooks onto my Nook

I had the same problem. I tried unarchiving and rearchiving but that did not work. I tried your suggestion of sideloading the book to my documents and now I can read them, Thank you for your advice.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 245 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: