Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

Can't Register my Nook Wi-Fi 1.4

I thought  I asked all the right questions when I bought my Nook at my local BN store, but apparently I did not.  I went for the cheaper Nook when I was assured that, while I couldn't download from anywhere over the air,  I could just plug into my laptop and all would be fine.

The assumption, I think now, was that of course I already have wi-fi service on my laptop, but I do not, just capability of it, and am unregistered with any service and admittedly ignorant of how to do so.

So now I've got a cute little $160 device which can only show me nice enravings of Walt Whitman and other authors.:smileysad:

To circumvent this problem, I downloaded the BN e-reader and can now download e-books and readt them on my laptop....I still can't sideload e-books onto the Nook, because it is "unregistered" and I can't submit over the air.  Getting through to Nook Help via their number, of course, has been impossible.

Let me now plunge in with some dumb questions since I do not travel and plug either my laptop or peripheral devices anywhere:

If I physically bring this back to B&N, can I plug it in there and get the thing registered, would you think, does it plug in all by itself or do I haul my laptop there, too?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Register my Nook Wi-Fi 1.4

If you just need to register your device, go to any location with free wifi service, including your local B&N, or a starbucks, or McDonalds, and connect to their wifi.  Then you can register your nook.

Then you can sideload books from your computer to your nook (or even, while still in the same wifi zone, download any books you've purchased from B&N wirelessly).  

Or, return your wifi-only nook and buy a wifi + 3G nook, since this will suit your particular needs more appropriately, given that you don't have wifi at home.

Third option - did you know that if you have "wired" internet service on your laptop, but your computer is capable of wifi, you can actually turn your COMPUTER into a wifi router?  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wifi isn't a service you buy.   Its a device you own.  

Since you downloaded stuff, you must have some form of internet access which uses wired connection.   The nook needs a wireless connection - provided by a device called a "wireless router".

If you travel a lot you might want the 3G version of the nook.

But for home use (especially if you have to use your lap top at ONE SPECIFIC place at home), you might want to buy a router which allows you to use your laptop, nook, smartphone in any room in the house. 

3G version is 50 bucks more.

Routers are under 25 bucks.  (Don't let them upsell you to a high priced one, you don't need it).

Buying a router may be a wiser choice,  no more sideloading. They are cheap and easy to install.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your help. Well, I did take my Wi-Fi only Nook over to B&N and got it registered. So I mentioned I only had dial up, so clerk said no problem, just go over to Best Buy and get a router...and Best Buy then turned me away since I have NON BROADBAND dial up.... So really, unless you live right door to Barnes and Nobles, I don't see the purpose of this. The fact that I can't just sideload the ones I download from B&N E-Reader onto the Nook itself is maddeningly frustrating, so now I'm registered, my e-books appear there now but still can't be accessed.. and STILL can only see engravings of Walt Whiman! They should have huge signs in front of all Nook displays, now, I think, saying YOU MUST ALREADY HAVE BROADBAND WI-FI AT HOME OR BUY DOWNLOAD YOUR BOOKS HERE...DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING TO BUY BOOKS FOR YOUR NOOK AT HOME. I don't blame the B&N sales people, who's nicer than a B&N employee, but most are bookies, not techies, and those who up to speed are now harassed and frazzled with the lines forming in front of them with people like me. So now I'm mulling over whether I want to go with Roadrunner access or ATT U Verse.... Really, I think this is a very serious flaw for either version of Nook, or other such devices, because I can envision many scenarios where people are temporarily deprived of their wireless capabilities at home and can't transfer e-books onto from computer to device.
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

You can transfer your bought purchases onto your device by connecting it to your computer.  Once you download the file onto your computer you plug the NOOK into your computer via USB.  You then open your nook (on desktop if Mac or under my computer if Windows) and then the "My Documents" folder.  You then drag your downloaded files from your computer to the "My computer" folder.  Next eject (do not safely remove).  Finaly open books on NOOK under my documents and add CC info to unlock DRM.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can't speak for your particular B&N and what they told you, but there's a reason that there are two models of NOOK. The standard 3G version is for folks like you who want to be able to buy and download B&N e-books wirelessly no matter where they are in the US. The lower-cost Wi-Fi only version is for those people who are satisfied to limit their wireless buying and downloading to locations where they have Wi-Fi access.

You bought the wrong model for your needs. My recommendation is to take it back and exchange it for the 3G model. That's the one that you want.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

I'm sure you are right, Doug, I go the wrong model....I've seen several posts from people where they've said, just take it back and exchange it for the 3G-as in just pay the diffrence in price?--so people seem to be saying that is something that B&N routinely does....I hope that is the case.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Deloma wrote:

so people seem to be saying that is something that B&N routinely does....I hope that is the case.

You have 14 days from when you bought it at B&N to return it for a refund.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

I will try that again, have tried several times....I assume you are talking about the F drive created on  Windows when the USB connection is made.

I may be misperceiving the "My Documents" folder...you are talking abot Windows' folder completely independent of the B&N e-reader program itself, correct? 

I know at one point finding eject as opposed to do not safely remove was tricky with my version of Windows Home Office edition.....this final instruction of yours, "Finaly open books on NOOK under my documents and add CC info to unlock DRM." will prompt a futher  question from me, if I find and choose eject, is my Nook still USB'd connected or will I have then disconneced that and am attempting to enter my credit card number into the now free standing Nook?

I will try again, I remember it was slow going trying to enter the whole CC number and easy to make a mistake...thanks.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

Then I'm out the money, it's taken me way past fourteen days just to find out I had the wrong version and get the thing registered...I was aware of their general return policy but couldn't say it was defectiive, just could not register it...oh well....maybe by end of year prices on both will have come down enough where I  can shell out for the 3G.

(And maye B&N people will be more trained on the Nook itself also and what questions to ask the customer....I work in customer service too, and you sometimes have to ask probing questions of people to see exactly what they have....and statements like "just go home and plug it ito your computer, it will register itsel", or "just go get a router without ascertaining they don't have broadband " will get ironed out for all concerned.:smileyhappy:)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Deloma wrote:

I will try that again, have tried several times....I assume you are talking about the F drive created on  Windows when the USB connection is made.

I may be misperceiving the "My Documents" folder...you are talking abot Windows' folder completely independent of the B&N e-reader program itself, correct? 

I know at one point finding eject as opposed to do not safely remove was tricky with my version of Windows Home Office edition.....this final instruction of yours, "Finaly open books on NOOK under my documents and add CC info to unlock DRM." will prompt a futher  question from me, if I find and choose eject, is my Nook still USB'd connected or will I have then disconneced that and am attempting to enter my credit card number into the now free standing Nook?

I will try again, I remember it was slow going trying to enter the whole CC number and easy to make a mistake...thanks.

To copy the books that you purchased from B&N onto your nook, via you computer do this:

If you have downloaded a copy of the PC reader, it will download the books in your library to a folder on your PC titled My B&N Books or something like that.

If you manually download the books from the B&N website by going into MY B&N on the website, going into manage your ebook library, and clicking on the download button for each book, it will download the books to where ever you tell it to on your computer.  I download mine to a folder I created, called B&N backups inside My eBooks.  If you do it this way, you just need to note and remember where you saved them.

Then connect your nook to the computer.

Go into Windows Explorer and find the nook drive.  You computer will assign it a drive letter, it sounds like your computer is assigning as the "F" drive.

Click on drive to open it and display the folders on the nook..

You will copy the books from your computer, where ever you saved them, to the My Documents folder on the nook.

Right mouse click on the nook drive and click on eject.  When the USB picture disappears from your nook, go to the My Documents folder using the nook, not your computer, and select check for new content.  Your books should be there.  

Once you eject the nook, your computer no longer sees it even if it is still connected via the USB cable.  You can safely unplug the USB cable at this point or you can use the nook  while it is still plugged into the computer, some people do this to charge the nook.  I recommend charging via wall socket instead rather than computer.

You cannot sideload directly into the My B&N Library on the Nook.

If it has been less than 14 days, I would return the WiFi nook and get the 3G/WiFi version, since you don't have WiFi at home.  That's probably easier and cheaper than getting broadband internet access, (assuming you're OK with the dial-up) and then getting a router and setting up the WiFi.

Contributor
Deloma
0 Kudos

Yay!  Finally was able to sideload onto my Nook--your going over the details of it was a great help, plus the Nook itself downloaded updated software which may have been contributing also.

Thanks again.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 618 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: