Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
planopops
0 Kudos

Can't find audio files.

My nook cannot find ( or I don't know how to make it find) any mp3 that I load. It will not even find or play the sample files preloaded on the nook. I have followed the instructions, but to no avail.

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

Re: Can't find audio files.

I didn't even KNOW that there WERE sample files!  And I can't find what I brought over from my pc... nor the picture I wanted as my display. I SEE them in "f" drive, but NOT on nook! Help?

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Audio files should show up when you load the audio player. Tap on the icon located all the way to the right at the bottom of the screen. That should bring up your audio selections--provided you loaded them in the "my music" folder. 

PIctures should be loaded into one of two foldiers: my screenshots or my wallpaper. They can be placed directly in the "My Wallpaper" folder's root directory (without creating a folder). But screenshots are to be placed in a folder that you create via your PC while the USB is hooked up. Name the folder, and drop your photos inside. Then go to "Settings" > "Display" > "Screensaver" and select your folder. That should do it.

I agree; no sample MP3 files were loaded on my nook.

Hope this helps. 

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

rhayes wrote:

Audio files should show up when you load the audio player. Tap on the icon located all the way to the right at the bottom of the screen. That should bring up your audio selections--provided you loaded them in the "my music" folder. 

PIctures should be loaded into one of two foldiers: my screenshots or my wallpaper. They can be placed directly in the "My Wallpaper" folder's root directory (without creating a folder). But screenshots are to be placed in a folder that you create via your PC while the USB is hooked up. Name the folder, and drop your photos inside. Then go to "Settings" > "Display" > "Screensaver" and select your folder. That should do it.

I agree; no sample MP3 files were loaded on my nook.

Hope this helps. 

Perfect instructions rhayes! No sample MP3's on my nook either.

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

That is exactly what I did! But, to no avail.  I even deleted and repeated... nada! :womansad:

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Thanks, KevMann

Hey, I see you have 62 posts, and are an Inspired Contributor. I have 63, and am a Correspondent. Huh?  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Sorry you're having trouble, Ivy. I neglected to specify that the created folder for screenshots goes in the My Screenshots folder.

But if you've done all that, and are still having problems, I have no clue.

But a thought: were your audio files MP3 and your photos .jpg?

I wonder if photo size comes into play. I found that my screenshot photos didn't display correctly until I resized them with the width being 600 pixels. But they still showed when they were a bit larger, but only an inner portion displayed. Have yours been downsized at all? I'm thinking maybe files that are too large might not work. Dunno. . . .

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

rhayes wrote:

Thanks, KevMann

Hey, I see you have 62 posts, and are an Inspired Contributor. I have 63, and am a Correspondent. Huh?  :smileyhappy:

:smileytongue: Looks like I need one more post!

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

Now you lost me! Sorry,  I think I'd best wait till tomorrow when my daughter comes home..... but, I will let everyone know how she does.  :-)

Ivy

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

Ivy_B wrote:

Now you lost me! Sorry,  I think I'd best wait till tomorrow when my daughter comes home..... but, I will let everyone know how she does.  :-)

Ivy

Sorry Ivy_B,

It sure was nice when you did not have to plug in your toaster to a PC to get it to download toast settings! :robothappy:

New User
JeannetteW
0 Kudos

I also cannot put music on my Nook.  I am sure they are MP3.. i have movd the files over, but when i go to the Nook, there is no music..

I also cannot seem to get it to get the update... I am connected to my router, yet the update doesnt seem to happen. I did it manually via PC.. still doesnt seem like the update has occured.

Do you think maybe we need the update for the music to be recognized?

Frequent Contributor
crane2
0 Kudos

JeannetteW wrote:

I also cannot put music on my Nook.  I am sure they are MP3.. i have movd the files over, but when i go to the Nook, there is no music..

I also cannot seem to get it to get the update... I am connected to my router, yet the update doesnt seem to happen. I did it manually via PC.. still doesnt seem like the update has occured.

Do you think maybe we need the update for the music to be recognized?

Seriously believe that this is a bug!  I installed some mp3 files onto the sdhc which the nook didn't see; just copied it to the internal memory which the nook still don't see.

BUT before I copied to internal memory, I had to reconnect the usb cable & the computer saw the audo files & the windows popup wanted to know if I want to play it!

So, the mp3 is legitimately named but the nook don't see any mp3 files.  No idea why some nooks are ok with the audio & not others.

New User
planopops
0 Kudos

Ok, I started this and now after walking away and coming back to try again, what do you know. Another case of operator error. I transfered some mp3 to the mymusic folder and launched the audio player and all is well.

Frequent Contributor
crane2
0 Kudos

planopops wrote:

Ok, I started this and now after walking away and coming back to try again, what do you know. Another case of operator error. I transfered some mp3 to the mymusic folder and launched the audio player and all is well.

Not for everybody.  Tried that & still no mp3; also the user manual claims that the mp3 files can be anywhere on the memory card while if in internal memory, it must be in the "my music".

Neither place work for me on the nook; the computer do find it.

Now thinking that the filename couild be too long &/or that there are spaces in the title.

Frequent Contributor
LarryGanz
0 Kudos

My files took a while to show up, as I think the nook scans the directory and slowly updates the file list.  I copied them to the nook in folders by artist > album with the songs inside the album folder.

My problem is that in the music list every artist's song is mixed in with the other artists songs, and listed alphabetically, which isn't good because it is mixing Jack Johnson with Arvo Part and Infected Mushroom all in one big play list.  I just want to listen to a particular album and not have mixed genre all play in alphabetical order.

I'll have to search the forum for more about this issue, since it's not directly related to the problem here.  I'm just surprised nobody else mentioned this issue.

Frequent Contributor
pennicat
0 Kudos

Maybe you have to create a folder for each artist or album?  Have you tried that?  since most of my music is ripped as WMA files, i've only uploaded one lonely MP3 so far so didn't bother with subfolders, but I know that's how my Zune sofware handles artists and albums in order to keep them organized.  Worth a try anyway.

Frequent Contributor
LarryGanz
0 Kudos

Yes, i said in my post that I have a folder for each album, but nook throws all the songs together in the list, mixed up in alphabetical order.

Reader
shadowcentral
0 Kudos

I had the same problem loading Mp3's onto my nook Before and after the Software Update. The trick is (especially if you're dragging mp3 files direct from itunes) to remove the numbers from the file name. It seems to work with spaces, but not with numbers. 

This is what worked for me.

Nook doesn't seem to import cover art though.

Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos

I think that between this and numerous other posted messages on this forum, the BN administrators and developers should take note, work on correcting an obvious weakness or bug and definitely, respond to users noting problems.

Seriously, a list of clear instructions for everyone to follow, a list of compatible cards, etc.  It just seems so buggy!  Getting audio files loaded into my cheap Nokia phone was easier and successful.  I still can't get the darn audio player to work or read the audio files working.

My PC can find the files, memory cards, my Nook, etc but the Nook is clueless.

It is time to get an administrator or BN Nook software developer response and a posting with real guidance and help on this and other buggy issues.

Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

I had similar problems with an ebook and my mp3 files. It seems as though the nook doesn't like when you drag and drop or copy and paste certain files. I had an ebook I bought from a different site, and it was in my ereader software (not the one from B&N) I dragged and dropped it into the "My Documents" folder, I also tried copy and paste--the book title shows up in my documents in nook but when I tried to read it--nothing--I got an error message stating "user not authorized"--finally I put the ebook file in the ADE folder and when I opened ADE (with nook attached to my PC) I dragged and dropped the file onto the nook icon in ADE. I then opened my documents in the nook and the title was there and I could read the book.

Same situation with my mp3's----I use Rhapsody--when I dragged the files onto the nook icon (Rhapsody actually recognized the nook) everything was ok.

The only time I have had this problem is when I am trying to directly put a file into a folder in the nook this just doesn't seem to work--you need to put the files into the nook from an application that recognizes it as drive.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 704 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: