Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Can't get rid of borrowed ebook

I've borrowed ebooks from the library before, and when I was done with them I returned them via ADE.  No trouble.  Pretty sure the library got them back, and they were off of my NOOK.  However, I just borrowed a book from an acquaintance for the first time, read it, and can't seem to wipe it off of my NOOK.  Here's what I've done:

1.  I returned it via BN.com, had my NOOK check for new content, and it was still there. 

2.  I plugged into my computer, found the file on my NOOK, deleted it, and it still shows in my library. 

3.  Opened ADE (though I used the Lend Me feature and not ADE at all), and though it said "file missing" when I clicked on it, I told it to delete anyway.  It no longer shows up in ADE, and I can't read the darn thing anymore, but it still shows up in My B&N Library. 

4.  Turned the NOOK off and on again (works with most electronic gadgets), checked for new content, and it still shows in my library, though it isn't readable.

I think the file itself is gone, so repeated attempts at deleting probably won't work.  And since I don't actually HAVE the book, I can't archive it.  Up until 15 minutes ago, I was pretty confident that plugging in and manually deleting should do the trick.  Thoughts?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Can't get rid of borrowed ebook

@ wordsandmelodi...

Check out this post, especially Icebike's response, and see if that helps you in some way.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Newspapers-won-t-go-away/m-p/488465/high...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

You'll probably just have to wait for the 14 days to expire. Although (as you found) there is a way to "return" a LendMe e-book early via the B&N web site, it doesn't actually return the e-book. It just makes it so that neither you nor the lender can read it until the 14-day lend period is up. I think it's fair to call that a bug.

To be fair to B&N about the bug, they don't claim that you can return a LendMe e-book early, and they do flag LendMe as being in "beta".

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Nope, no hidden deleted items folders.  I guess I'll leave it alone in the meantime, and see if it will disappear in 10 days.  Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 814 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: