Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
adayAD
0 Kudos

Can't open ebook on nook

I have been actively reading on my new nook for about 4 weeks now without issue. Tonight I finished a book and was ready to open a new one already in my library but it will not load. Everytime I click to open the book it says Loading and never does anything. I've tried downloading content just in case, turning off and then back on my nook. Nothing so far. Has anyone else experienced this? Was it better in the morning???

New User
GeriA

Re: Can't open ebook on nook

Yes, I am having the same issue, recieved nook for a Valentines Day Gift for myself. If they don't have a solution soon, this is going back to the store

Contributor
Macran
0 Kudos

Same issue here. Things went bad right after I sideloaded 1.2 (which seemed better at first). First thing I did was set a bookmark on the book I was reading and then turned off airplane mode to download the dailys. When I went back to read my book, it would not open. Got the Loading screen just like you did and that was it.  So I sideloaded the book I was reading and could open it just fine. I think something went phewy in the airplane mode...B&N content...bookmarking thing somewhere.

I cannot download any other books or the daily ...most likely due to a weak AT&T signal where I live. Though I have to tell you that when I got my nook and first turned it on, it grabbed that AT&T signal and downloaded everything right away.  I am going to connect up a wireless at my house later and see if things will be better once I do that. 

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For some books that are stuck opening try one of the following measures.

1)  Open the same book in the PC/Mac version of the B&N reader.  Move to Chapter two of the book and do a sync of your PC/Mac bookshelve with the server.  Than go to your Nook have it check for new B&N content and then try opening the book.  Apparently some books have material that the NOOK will not display such as Scanned Covers and it get stuck trying to position to the beginning of the book.

or

2)  Try copying the book from the "my B&N downloads" folder to the "my documents" folder of your NOOK.  Then open the book from My Documents instead of from My B&N Library. 

New User
Sammy143
0 Kudos

I just received my Nook yesterday and the very first book I tried to open did the same thing.  It says "loading" but never does.  Needless to say, I'm disappointed that it appears the Nook doesn't work as advertised.  Is there a trick to getting books to download?

New User
Sammy143
0 Kudos

I'd like to try your suggestions, however I'm not a computer savy person, so I don't know what you mean when you say "do a sync of your PC/Mac bookshelve with the server."

also - where do I find the "my B&N downloads" folder and the "my documents" folder. Are they on my PC?

Thanks

Contributor
carolyna6570
0 Kudos

When you hook up the nook, a little icon should appear on your desktop. Double click on that icon, and then all the inner file folders show up. One is 'my documents', one is 'screen savers', etc. That should answer your question.

Now for my question...I don't know where else to post it, so here goes:

I've downloaded ebooks from my public library using the Overdrive program. I then copied the file to 'my documents'. It shows as a possible title on my nook. However, when I attempt to open the book, the message is as follows..."This book has been returned. Loan not on record." 

I attempted to sideload it again, as I can open in on the B&N reader, and in the Overdrive reader, and in Calibre....when I restarted my nook it gave the title TWICE but the same "...Loan not on record" message came up again. 

I tried to close down all programs, restart my computer, shut down and restart my nook and begin the process again. I now have [supposedly] THREE copies of each of the .pdf files in 'my documents', but none are able to be opened on my nook.

The most annoying part of this is that I did get one ebook successfully sideloaded and read between the 1.1 and 1.2 OTA updates.

Can anyone help me? I'll bake cookies....

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

carolyna6570 wrote:

When you hook up the nook, a little icon should appear on your desktop. Double click on that icon, and then all the inner file folders show up. One is 'my documents', one is 'screen savers', etc. That should answer your question.

Now for my question...I don't know where else to post it, so here goes:

I've downloaded ebooks from my public library using the Overdrive program. I then copied the file to 'my documents'. It shows as a possible title on my nook. However, when I attempt to open the book, the message is as follows..."This book has been returned. Loan not on record." 

I attempted to sideload it again, as I can open in on the B&N reader, and in the Overdrive reader, and in Calibre....when I restarted my nook it gave the title TWICE but the same "...Loan not on record" message came up again. 

I tried to close down all programs, restart my computer, shut down and restart my nook and begin the process again. I now have [supposedly] THREE copies of each of the .pdf files in 'my documents', but none are able to be opened on my nook.

The most annoying part of this is that I did get one ebook successfully sideloaded and read between the 1.1 and 1.2 OTA updates.

Can anyone help me? I'll bake cookies....

I see no mention of Adobe Digital Editions anywhere in this litany.  You need to download the book to ADE first, then copy it to your nook.  In addition, your nook needs to be an authorized device in ADE.  Are you sideloading the book itself or the .acsm file?  the .acsm file is simply a link back to the library to securely download the book.

the sideloading into "my documents" is not correct - it was a workaround in 1.1.0 because ADE was not connecting correctly.  What you should be doing is dragging and dropping the book in ADE to the nook icon on the left side of ADE (where it will appear if it has been authorized).  This will place the book in the "Digital Editions" folder on your nook, which is the correct place for it to appear.  

If you need more info, the New York Public Library actually provides video tutorials of how this is supposed to work.  Even if they're not your library, you can access the videos and get more info.

Contributor
adayAD

I called B&N customer service. After waiting a long time on hold they helped me fix the issue. I went to my library, selected the book, view item details, archive book, confirm in your library it is archived by showing archived items, should be shadowed out. Now shut down completely your nook. Turn your nook back on. Let your library reload. Be sure your archived items are showing. Select your archived book again, unarchive, go back to your library, select the book again, it should be downloading again, click on view item details again, click on read and the book should open. Mine did, worked like a charm. I let the guy on the phone know there are several folks having this issue as seen on the message board here! Hope this can help others. I do love my nook to death. This is the first real issue I've had in a month of pleasant reading.

New User
dinyg
0 Kudos

I was reading a book when my Nook did a software update over the air.  When I tried to open the book after the update, it got stuck on the "opening" message and would not load.  I went online, opened the book with the free BN reader, bookmarked the page and closed the reader.  I then did a complete reboot of the Nook (not just a "put to sleep" but holding the power button down until it completely blacks the screen) and went to my library, chose the book and it opened fine.  Now I know how to fix this one problem.  It was frustrating because I was traveling (why I bought the Nook in the first place) and could not read my book until I had access to my computer. 

New User
GeoC
0 Kudos

Thank you!  This really helped.  I was on hold for a long time as well and started reading the posts.  When I came across this post I did exactly as it said.  As soon as it was done downloading I finally reached a tech representative... I told him what I was doing and he said that is exactly what he would have said to do... so BIG THANKS!!! I know I am going to really enjoy my NOOK.

New User
JuliaDR
0 Kudos

I have the problem that I downloaded a book into my documents and I can't read it. It says "user not activated". What does that mean?

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

@JuliaDR

Follow these instructions.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

In the future you should start a new thread if you have questions. This one is several months old.

New User
melissa7
0 Kudos

that worked great! thanks!

New User
sammi15
0 Kudos

so here's my problem I download the nook for pc and then i got some samples of books seeing if they were going to be anygood before I bought them online. They all worked and I found a book that I really liked and when I bought it it didn't ask for a code or anything so we clicked download and it downloads fine but when i try to read it it says encrypted or not decoded but the thing is it never asked me to put in a code. So the question is is there anyway I can make it work and have to ask for a code so I can read the book?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

sammi15 wrote:

so here's my problem I download the nook for pc and then i got some samples of books seeing if they were going to be anygood before I bought them online. They all worked and I found a book that I really liked and when I bought it it didn't ask for a code or anything so we clicked download and it downloads fine but when i try to read it it says encrypted or not decoded but the thing is it never asked me to put in a code. So the question is is there anyway I can make it work and have to ask for a code so I can read the book?

This is the Nook Technical Support.  You may get more help on Nook for PC if you post here -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Free-Reading-Apps-Technical/bd-p/eReaders

Reader 2
pgreader123
0 Kudos

Thanks! This worked for me and saved me all that time on hold with tech support.

New User
gerbs
0 Kudos

Thank you!  This worked for me!

New User
hbknprincess

I had the same problem just now and this worked .... Try Archiving and then UnArchiving.. You will get a download option.  It refreshes the Library after an order.

Reader 2
lynncagg
0 Kudos

This advice was clearly written and spot-on! I had forgotten about the update. Thank you! (September 2011)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: