Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Saneless
0 Kudos

Re: Can't open non-DRM pdb files on nook even on V1.2.0

Even some epubs are wacky and don't work right on the nook.  Mark Twain's Library of Humor is a free Google Books epub and it chokes on the second page for a while.. it's just a mess on the nook.

"Converted" it to epub, whatever that did, and it works so much better now.

Reader 4
dgod1
0 Kudos

I purchased L Ron Hubbard Mission Earth The Invaders Plan from Fictionwise.com https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b5951/The-Invaders-Plan-/L-Ron-Hubbard/?si=0  ,but have not been able to open it on the Nook.I can read it from the B&N Ereader software with no problem ,but when trying to open it on the Nook it asks for the credit card and name info ,but it won't take it. I worked with tech support at fictionwise but they couldn't tell me anything other then input the info correctly and contact B&N support.I bought other books from them and from the same author with no problems.

It has DRM so I can't change it with Calibre.

I see from a previous comment in this thread that it maybe in an old format because when I put it in calibre it fails saying 

202 byte header version found.

Python function terminated unexpectedly

Unknown book version 259. (Error Code: 1)

and a bunch of other stuff

Has there been any fix for this ,or who should I contact ?

Thanks ,

Dave

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

dgod1 wrote:

when trying to open it on the Nook it asks for the credit card and name info ,but it won't take it.

What do you mean by "it won't take it"?

I assume that you are entering the name and credit card number that is shown for that e-book on "My Bookshelf" at Fictionwise.

Your next step should be to contact B&N Customer Service: 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.

This doesn't help, but I recommend using Adobe EPUB (Fictionwise calls it Secure Adobe) instead of Secure eReader. B&N is phasing out the Secure eReader format. On your desktop you'd have to read it in Adobe Digital Editions, though.

Reader 4
dgod1
0 Kudos

When I enter the name and credit card info it just says failed. I noticed that on the Nook it asks for first name on one line ,last name on the second line ,and the the CC # in the third line. Which means that you can't add it the same as it is in "my bookshelf" at Fictionwise ,which has your whole name in one line and the CC # in the second line.When I had to enter the info in the B&N desktop ereader software it was also 2 lines and it worked fine.

The book was only available in secure ereader.

I guess I will just have to call.

Thanks

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

dgod1 wrote:

When I enter the name and credit card info it just says failed. I noticed that on the Nook it asks for first name on one line ,last name on the second line ,and the the CC # in the third line. Which means that you can't add it the same as it is in "my bookshelf" at Fictionwise ,which has your whole name in one line and the CC # in the second line.

I believe that the instructions I read somewhere said that all but the last word of the name goes in the "first name" box. So if your name shows as James L van Doren, you'd put "James L van" in the "first name" box and "Doren" in the "last name" box. Be sure you get the capitalization right (but you know that from the desktop eReader software).

Really though, calling B&N Customer Service should be your first step. I haven't heard any reports of them biting; when I called them they were very pleasant and helpful. And not only are they likely to help you get past the problem, the more reports they get of people having difficulty with something, the more likely it is that whatever the problem was will get smoothed out in the future.

Reader 4
dgod1
0 Kudos

I called B&N ,but we couldn't resolve the issue ,its not the Nook its the book.After much reading and looking at the error report generated by calibre I came to the conclusion that the problem is the book format. The file extension is .PDB but the actual format of the eBook is PNRdPPrs (peanut reader which became palmreader ,then ereader ).So it looks like I am stuck for now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

dgod1 wrote:

I came to the conclusion that the problem is the book format. The file extension is .PDB but the actual format of the eBook is PNRdPPrs (peanut reader which became palmreader ,then ereader ).So it looks like I am stuck for now.

Not necessarily.  You should be able to download the book again from Fictionwise in a compatible format, assuming it is available in PDB or ePUB.

Reader
AndyNYC
0 Kudos

I have a large collection of non-DRM PDB format ebooks that I was using on my Foxit eSick. When that reader broke, I switched to the Nook in the last week, only to be disappointed by what appeared to be an inability to get the PDB files to show on the Nook at all.

However, I did a lot of searching around online and playing with the files, and finally got everything working!!!

Basically, I download a lot of free, non-DRM PDB files from ManyBooks (manybooks.net). The format I have traditionally selected from the many formats that site offers is PDB for eReader. This was mostly because the Foxit eSlick reader had no issues with these files and the text was properly justified, which is a requirement for me (I don't like reading with a jagged edge on the right side of the content).

Anyway, I added all of these PDB files to Calibre. Then I selected them all and did a batch conversion. The options I selected were:

1. Convert and output as ePub

2. Justify text

3. selected Nook for the input and output file options on one of the tabs under the conversion window

That was it. I proceeded with conversion, then transferred everything to the Nook directly from Calibre. When I disconnected the Nook, after the transfer finished, all of the converted ePub files were shown within a few seconds! Also, all of the ebooks are properly justified, as I prefer, even though they are ePub files.

I think ePub files downloaded from B&N (purchased) align left and don't justify the text on the Nook, but doing the conversion I described above seems to fix this, at least for non-DRM books downloaded from ManyBooks in eReader PDB) format and then converted using Calibre.

I'm very happy with the Nook now!

AndyNYC

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 228 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: