Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

Can't put free epub or mp3 on my nook.

I am happy with the Nook except when I try to get free new books on it.

I have downloaded several free eBooks in epub format. I have put them into the right folders on my computer and Nook. The computer Nook reader has found them and I can access them with no problem. But when I put them into the Documents on my Nook reader then press "search for new content", the Nook searches, but doesn't find them. I have even let it search for 4 hours! Nothing! I finally stopped it, turned off the Nook, then turned it back on. No new books in the documents! I have done this before but with some pain.

A. What's the deal on this, how long should the Nook search for new books in the document area?

B. Would it be easer to put the books on one at a time?

Trying to use PDF format is even worse.

Also, I have followed the instructions on how to put MP3 on the Nook. Problem is when I access the mp3 on the Nook, it says there is no music on it. ?????

I appreciate any help. I like the Nook, BUT it seems to have a lot of problems...

Thanks.

New User
Artiszan
0 Kudos

Re: Can't put free epub or mp3 on my nook.

In the window at the bottom you need to select my documents since by default will only show B&N material.

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

While in the my documents is when I select search for new content. Nothing.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

What did you mean by search for 4 hours?  

It usually is instantaneous (whether it works or not).  Are you saying you nook more or less locked up for 4 hours?

How about a power off (all the way to white screen, not just a sleep) and reboot?

Are you positive the extension of the files you loaded was epub, or pdb?  Was the music positively in mp3 format, (not M4A from itunes).

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Baron-von-Rass…,

Was your issue resolved?

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

it stayed in Search for new content for 4 hours. I could cancel anytime I want. no it was not locked up,this I am positive.

I use only epub files, I tried pdf and they don't work.

I have rebooted several times, still the new ebooks did not appear.

All music files I have are mp3. I never use iTunes.

I am begining to think it just dosen't work. As much as I like the Nook, I am beging to think I should have gotten a Kindle instead. Opinions??

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

No the issue was not resolved. Still trying to figure it out.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Baron-von-Rassilon wrote:

it stayed in Search for new content for 4 hours. I could cancel anytime I want. no it was not locked up,this I am positive.

I use only epub files, I tried pdf and they don't work.

I have rebooted several times, still the new ebooks did not appear.

All music files I have are mp3. I never use iTunes.

I am begining to think it just dosen't work. As much as I like the Nook, I am beging to think I should have gotten a Kindle instead. Opinions??

Well I assure you it DOES work, and if it didn't you would have seem many article about it in the press.

You should start by removing all your side loaded content and then rebooting.

(If you have a lot of these you might look into a MicroSD card.  Its generally easier than consuming all of your nook's main memory with music, etc.  These are pretty cheap.  Don't buy the biggest or fastest you can find. 4gig class 4 is around 8 or 9 bucks. )

Then start sidloading ebooks in groups of a few at a time into the my documents folder (or on the microsd card).  Make sure you properly eject. (not the same as safely remove - its covered in the users guide).

Make sure these all appear.  Then add the next set.

If it stops working, remove the last set and add them one or two at a time till you find the problem child. 

Mark it, skip it and go on with the rest.

Do the same with music.  

(This version of nook software is a pathetic music player.  So quite frankly I wouldn't waste much time on that.  Wait till the next software comes out).

This problem is almost always traced to corrupted or mis-formated ebooks.  

Look into Calibre (google for it) ebook management system for sideloading.  It can also fix ebooks that have become corrupted or have missing metadata etc.  You can often simply convert books with Calibre from epub to epub (same format) and it will fix the corruption.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I have been able to side load epub, pdf and pdb ebooks with no problem at all.  I would suggest connecting the nook, deleting all sideloaded content, properly ejecting nook, reboot nook and start again remembering to properly eject.

sideloading is one of the great features of the nook especially since you can borrow ebooks from the libray (using overdrive and adobe digital editions) and put on the nook

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

*should have got a kindle instead*

WHY? It's not like you can sideload onto it.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

*should have got a kindle instead*

WHY? It's not like you can sideload onto it.

You can sideload content on the Kindle. It can't be ePub or any DRMed content(other than Amazon, of course). 

Reader 4
Lee_T
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem on my Nook when I tried to side load my old epub books I had from my Sony Reader. The fix was this:

1. Download Adobe Digital Editions (Google It)

2. Click the Library tab at the top and click "authorize computer." Enter the same email address you use for your Nook

3. Connect your Nook via USB

4. Adobe Digital Editions should recognize your Nook and ask you if you want to "register it" or something like that.

5. Then just Library>Add Item to Library... Import your files into Adobe Digital Editions, then drag them over to the Nook from the "All Items" list.

Too easy. I had trouble with it at first, but then I tried unregistering my Nook, then resetting to factory settings and then reregistering and it worked the very first time after that.

I was very relieved ... was getting quite frustrated with it. Adobe Digital Editions is better to get files onto your Nook than the actual Nook software. 

Contributor
Love-to-read-eBooks
0 Kudos

I have never put mp3 files on my nook.

I have had problems putting epub and/or pdb files on some times.  Like your nook, my nook would keep searching and not find anything.  I realized if only a page of 10 ebooks were showing, there was something wrong.

Before you give up, turn your nook off, count to 30 and restart the nook, see if that helps.

Before attaching the nook to your computer make sure you have gotten out of an open book and into the My Document section, then press the n on top of the touchscreen. 

Always eject your nook from your computer and the extra memory card if you are using it.  After eject, I also do the remove hardware option.

I finally got so fed up, when downloading all my ebooks that I ended up putting just a couple of ebooks on at a time.  If the nook froze, I took the ebooks off and sideloaded them individually.  I have a file of ebooks that I have yet to be able to get to work on my nook.  (I finally got 400+ book onto the nook of course they are all in my documents.)

Have you used Adobe Digital to transfer epub books to your nook? What method are you using to put the onto the nook?

There are some files I just can't get to work on the nook.  As an example, any pdb books from Manybooks.net I have yet to get to work on my nook. 

Suprisingly, I have no problems putting epubs ebooks onto the extra memory and bypassing using adobe.

If this does not work let me know.

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

I appreciate all the help. I have yet resolved the problem. I thought I had when a few books were added, then all in the documents disappeared. I really don't care for the MP3, I just wanted to check it out.

I do appreciate the Calibre info. I does what I want to fix meta tags. And I have tried that to sideload onto the Nook. Nothing.

The thing is I tried all that you have suggested, side loading, booting, etc. My next step is to reset at factory default. I really don't want a Kindle, {I have checked out a friend of mines at it has a smaller screen and WAY too many buttons.

Just to note to all, I always eject from nook and SD card. As soon as I am done reading this one book, I will reset the Nook. I load a few eBooks at a time.

As for PDF, I don't use them. I prefer epub.

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

I have finally got the problem resolved. Apparently, the nook does not like PDB formate in the My Document area. If I use only EPub and load them no more than 3 at a time. It will work.I now have my 30 books in the Document area, and 12 in my Barns & Noble.

As for the MP3 part, well thats why I have an MP3 player for. When I want to listen to music, I'll listen to music. When I want to read, I'll read!

Again, I thank all of you for your help.

:manhappy:

Contributor
Love-to-read-eBooks
0 Kudos

I am surprised that you can't put any .pdb files in My Document area.   (I am assuming you do not mean the My B & N Library area.)

I have over 150 .pdb books bought at Fictionwise and they work in the My Document area.  I have had trouble with .pdb from some sites.  Plus some from other sites that work.

Have you attempted to down load the .pbb books one at a time to see which are an issued.

Contributor
Baron-von-Rassilon
0 Kudos

That is a problem I am trying to figure out. I have a few in the B & N area that I bought, but they won't be seen in the "My Document" section. I am going to work on that later. Right now I am enjoying what I have.

Thanks for all the help!

Frequent Contributor
polishnookguy
0 Kudos

Definitely use Adobe Digital Editions.   It should fix all of your problems.   For music, I put a 4 gb microSD card in the slot in the back and created a My Music folder there.   I put all of the music in that folder, and not on the internal memory.   No problems here.   

Reader
stilljojo
0 Kudos

I know when I first got my Nook I was having fits with finding books etc....to make a long story short..all the errors were on my side. 

My solution for other than BN books was to hook up with the local library on line...download the adobe digital solutions available at check out at most library's, follow instructions for the install...and after that is was super easy. I download Epub books for free from the library, check them out for 14 days (after which they expire)...the books download to your computer adobe digital ..then you plug your Nook into your computer...when the Nook icon appears on the Adobe Digital page..you can then simply grab and drag the library book into the nook where it downloads in seconds. 

The epub book from the library will be found in your DOCUMENTS section of the Nook..not in the BN library.   Nook will also support mp3..so you can listen to music and read..OR you can download a mp3 audio  book using Overdrive which is also available easily from the library. 

The audio book will appear on your computer in Overdrive...and then you can transfer it to the Nook (by plugging Nook into computer)...the mp3 audio book will be located in the music area of the Nook.    I just discovered the audio book feature and enjoy it...but there are not so many mp3 audio books at the library because they cannot use drm on the mp3 format...

My husband and I both have the Nook and have not purchased a book since owning them...we get almost all of our books on line from the library...only downside is they are not yours to keep, they will expire at the end of your lending time unless you purchase them.

Not a issue for I seldom re-read a book again anyway..

I am still learning my Nook but am completely thrilled with it....and as I said earlier..all my early issues when I first got it..and huge amount of time I spent on the phone with BN and issues..all turned out to be MY issues..not theirs...things I had not done correctly...  hope this helps!

Reader
stilljojo
0 Kudos

You will need to download the Adobe Digital Solutions to get your epub books...easy download...and can be found at a lot of libraries on line.. that is where I got mine at...You can then check out the books on line from the library, and download them to adobe where they can then be dragged into the Nook...they will be found in Documents on the Nook...I do this several times a week. Books are free from library and they have current Best Sellers.sometimes you have to go on a waiting list for one of the books if it is new...but the library will send you a note when the book is available and hold it for you for a couple of days till you get it downloaded.  Hope this helps you a bit.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: