Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sarah_H-C
0 Kudos

Can't "drag to unlock" my NOOK

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've had the "all new" NOOK model (black & white touchscreen) for about 6 weeks and it was completely reliable - up until last night!  I can't get past the screensaver.  I can press the NOOK button and get the "drag to unlock your NOOK" swipe interface.  However, the NOOK doesn't respond to swiping left-to-right (or right-to-left, for that matter) to unlock.

This happened when I had about 30% battery left, so I plugged my NOOK in - same results, couldn't unlock it.

Then I waited until it charged to 100% - same results.

I tried shutting it down completely and restarting it - same results.  Since I'm able to select the "power off" option from the shut-down menu, I know it's not a general problem with the touchscreen.

Today I chatted with someone in tech. support who walked me through a factory reset and then I re-registered my NOOK.  Everything was working, including all touchscreen functionality, until I turned the screensaver on - and now it's locked again, and I can't unlock it!

So, to recap, I've tried:

• unlocking with 100% battery power
  • unlocking while plugged-in to wall power source
  • unlocking while plugged-in to USB power source
  • factory reset and re-registration

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there a solution other than exchanging my device?

Correspondent
Byteguy

Re: Can't "drag to unlock" my NOOK

I had that problem.  Turned out a cat hair was in the groove and blocking the IR laser that scans the surface (it's not REALLY a touch screen),  once I blew that out it worked just fine.

New User
Sarah_H-C

Thanks for the tip - just went at it with a Q-tip and a can of compressed air, but no luck.  Where should I be looking for a blockage - along the black plastic rim between the screen and the rubberized surface?

New User
Sarah_H-C
0 Kudos

Took it to a B&N store where the NOOK customer service rep. said she'd "never seen a Simple Touch do this".  Tech. support just authorized a product exchange.  Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem, but at least customer support is accomodating  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
nancybout

This happened to me too,i did see a piece of fuzz.I cleaned it,turned off,and back on and its fine. Im happy again.LoL
Vi_
New User
Vi_
0 Kudos

I have the same problem all evening.Even I got Nook...yesterday! Can not unlock it at all.What should I do to solve the problem? Please. Or I must to return it back :smileysad:

New User
weichhy
0 Kudos

I also have this problem. No sliding will open it. I also cannot turn it off as the power buttton is not functioning. WIll call B&N today. :-(

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

weichhy wrote:

I also have this problem. No sliding will open it. I also cannot turn it off as the power buttton is not functioning. WIll call B&N today. :-(

The power button should always work. Perhaps the Nook has no power (an e-ink screen needs no power to display an image). Try connecting your Nook to the charger.

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

I had the same problem after the update.  I couldn't drag the key to unlock the screen saver.  I couldn't use the touch screen at all to tell it to shut down.  My battery charge was at 80 percent.  I finally sat holding the off button until it did shut down.  When it came back up it was fine.    I have not used the touch screen to turn pages since my Nook froze the first time using it.  I have always used the page buttons.  After the update I decided to give the touch screen page turning a try and that's when the device froze.  I was able to put it to sleep but then I couldn't get it to wake up. 

Reader 2
jld47
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook a few days ago and experienced the same problem the first time I used it.  Worked great through reading a whole book and then the problem started again today.  After attempting swiping many times, it finally worked when I used a very light touch to drag.  Don't know if it was just a fluke but I'm thrilled to have the screen back on again.

New User
HeDiedForMe89
0 Kudos

Mine just done the same thing after having it only a few hours and I found this thread an held down the power button until it turned off and now it's working fine! Hopefully no more glitches for me.
New User
otasar
0 Kudos

The suggestions were very helpful. I used the dust er spray. It happened twice. Once when the battery was low, more cently when the battery was at 30%. Not sure why it is happening now.

New User
deja704
0 Kudos

There is a button like thing on the back of the top of the nook. I just pulled it up thinking that it would open the Nook up, but instead it allowed me to unlock it. Everything is working great now!! :smileyhappy:

New User
AlanL52
0 Kudos

Had my Nook for 3 weeks.  Could not unlock or power down using the screen.  Tried the air dusting tip - worked like a charm:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

New User
ginnyro
0 Kudos

My BRAND NEW black-and-white nook wont slide to unlock its frozen on two arrows and i dont think its because it doesnt have any charge because about 30 min ago it was perfectly fine. I left it in the car today for 20 min and it was really cold but when i got to a different house, with different wifi it wouldnt unlock, im not sure what it could be?????? :smileyfrustrated:

New User
bnpen5034

I ran a q-tip all along the screen edges of my nook and removed several cat hairs. The screen saver sheet is a little sticky on the edges and seems to attrack the cat hairs which interfere with the ir sensors.  My nook is now waking up and unlocking for me.  Thank you for posting your tip.

Reader 4
jerrylaufer

I had the same problem.  Used a can of compressed air blowing all around the edge of the screen.  It worked fine after that!  Thank You.

New User
kpbean81
0 Kudos

I have this "Nook" that the lock bar will not unlock. The unit acts like the digitizing screen is bad. I have read some of the discussions and I am uncertain where to clean this unit if lint, cat hair, etc. can cause the problem. These units have a year warranty? Thanks in advance!

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

kpbean81 wrote:

I have this "Nook" that the lock bar will not unlock. The unit acts like the digitizing screen is bad. I have read some of the discussions and I am uncertain where to clean this unit if lint, cat hair, etc. can cause the problem. These units have a year warranty? Thanks in advance!

Which Nook do you have?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
samerhaj
0 Kudos

I just took it out of the box and used it for 5 minutes after setup and the screen lock wont move... piece of crap, im taking it back rite now (2 hours after purchase). if it starts acting up from day one, whats it gonna do 6 months from now! I do not reccommend this product to anyone

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 303 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: