Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
momoSRT
0 Kudos

Can you bypass WIFI and just use 3G

I am wondering if there is a way to bypass the WIFI connection and JUST use the 3G network.  I'll tell you why:  I am a teacher and I can connect to my WIFI with my Nook but the same pages that are blocked due to the school network are blocked on my Nook when I use WIFI.  I'd like to be able to use just the 3G so I can reach those pages (like my home email) while at school.  Is this possible?  Thank you!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Re: Can you bypass WIFI and just use 3G

The web browser is Wi-Fi only.

You can turn off the Wi-Fi and just run 3G, but you will be limited to shopping B&N through the "Shop" feature, checking for new content in your B&N Library and, if it matters, your Daily will update.

No other features are currently enabled though 3G.

Contributor
momoSRT
0 Kudos

Well, that's interesting...I was told when I bought it that you could use the 3G to surf the web in places not supported by WIFI.  Hmmm....thanks for the info.  I thought I was going nuts!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Who told you that?

It certainly does not say that in any of the advertising.  

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Who told you that?

It certainly does not say that in any of the advertising.  

Advertising is not the only source of information nor is barnesandnoble.com. I had never been in a Barnes and Noble store or visited barnesandnoble.com prior to purchasing a nook.

When I did go into the Barnes and Noble store to make the purchase, some of the information I received there turned out to be incorrect.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Advertising is not the only source of information nor is barnesandnoble.com.

[SNIP]

When I did go into the Barnes and Noble store to make the purchase, some of the information I received there turned out to be incorrect.

As to Point 1, only official releases from B&N should be counted upon to be accurate.  You can't hold B&N responsible for something you were told by XXX who has absolutely no connection to B&N.  (Whether XXX is a major news source, your best friend's sister's uncle, or a "trusted" online reviewing source.)

As to Point 2, that IS a major faux pas on the part of B&N, and they should certainly be made aware of their employee's errors.  It shouldn't have happened, and B&N absolutely is accountable for any information disseminated in their name.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@ya ya

I think you missed the point. If it were not for those other sources of information I would still not know that a nook existed. Product reviews however, can form the basis of your expectations when purchasing a product otherwise Barnes and Noble would not be posting links to the CNET review of the Nook.  No one said anything about holding Barnes and Noble responsible for information from other sources or even their own advertisements puffing (10 days between charges).

As for B&N being responsible for and "accountable for any information disseminated in their name", that may be technically correct.  I don't expect a salesperson to know everything there is to know about every item sold in a store. There was no intentional deception of facts on the part of the salesperson I talked to but there probably was miscommunication. The salesperson I talked to was trying to be helpful in a busy store at the time.

An example of miscommunication;

Customer: What is the difference between WiFi\3G and WiFi Only?

Salesperson: You can download eBooks over the AT&T 3g network or a WiFi connection with the WiFi\3g model. With the WiFi Only model you can only download over a WiFi Connection.

Customer: Does the 3g model connect to the internet?

Salesperson: Yes.

What the customer is asking; is internet browsing available via 3g? What the salesperson is answering is yes you can connect to the internet via WiFi or 3g is connecting to the internet to download books from barnesandnoble.com, take your pick. The customer walks away thinking he can use the browser over 3g. The salesperson shifts his attention to the next customer who has been bouncing up and down behind his back the whole time.

The salesperson gave a technically correct answer to the question and the customer walked away with an incorrect assumption.

One last note, my dealings with Barnes and Noble at all levels has been one of my better experiences with any retailer.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 278 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: