Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
amy_d
0 Kudos

Can you sideload epub books without Adobe Digital Editions?

I have been unable to successfully install Adobe Digial Editions (the following error message appears: E_ADEPT_IO ActivationServiceInfo Error%20#2032).  Is it possible to sideload epub books into the Nook without Adobe Digital Editions?  I have tried dragging and dropping files directly into the nook, and though this works for pdfs, it hasn't worked for the epub book.  Any thoughts?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Re: Can you sideload epub books without Adobe Digital Editions?

I use Calibre (free program) to organize and sideload all my epub books, I never even open ADE.

Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

amy_d wrote:

I have been unable to successfully install Adobe Digial Editions (the following error message appears: E_ADEPT_IO ActivationServiceInfo Error%20#2032).  Is it possible to sideload epub books into the Nook without Adobe Digital Editions?  I have tried dragging and dropping files directly into the nook, and though this works for pdfs, it hasn't worked for the epub book.  Any thoughts?

If the books are protected with Adobe DRM you MUST use ADE.

Unprotected ePubs (from Google, Bean, Etc.) can just be dragged and dropped.

B&N DRM ePubs (from B&N, Fictionwise, Etc.) can be dragged and dropped and then authorized on the nook when you open them (by entering your credit card info).

Adobe ePubs (from Sony, Borders, Kobo, Public Libraries, Etc.) require ADE.

Adobe offers support through their website as well as by phone.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

This page has a few suggestions:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/315028

Disable your firewall when installing. One guy said he had to bypass his proxy which means nothing to me.

New User
amy_d
0 Kudos

Thank you, these are all helpful suggestions -- I think it's a proxy issue which also means nothing to me.  I've been using Firefox and can't figure out how to bypass the proxy.  

New User
Camiblogs
0 Kudos

It's definitely a PROXY problem!

you could check out my blog post: http://tohellmylovewithyou.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/ade/

and follow my instructions!

If you don't want to waste time just install quickly Explorer and then uninstall it :smileywink:

xo

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

You didn't say what OS, but assuming it is WIndows, you can adjust your proxy settings in the Control Panel. Of course, which Windows you are running matters as each hides it in a different place.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

If the books are protected with Adobe DRM you MUST use ADE.

If the books are DRM via ADE you must use ADE exactly ONCE to authorize the nook.

From then on, you can put them on the nook any way you want, ADE, Calibre, Drag and drop.

The problem then moves up-stream into how do you actually fetch the ebooks, which is not a nook problem, but rather an ADE problem.  You solve that on your computer and the nook isn't involved.

Its probably the proxy issue as others have mentioned.  ADE is nothing but Adobe Flash, and it ties into your browser's proxy settings.  Simply tell windows not to use (or detect) proxy settings and assume its connected to the net directy, which 99.44% of computers are these days, (as far as the present problem is concerned).

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 971 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: