New User
Dupes
0 Kudos

Cannot Access "My Documents" in my nook!

I used my USB to save some PDF files in the my documents section of my nook. I watched tutorial, was very carfeul, ejected my nook before i removed it, etc. When attached to my computer, I can open the nook folder and view the documents that are supposedly on my nook. However, when I try to access the "my documents" via "my library" on my nook device itself, I can't! Period!! It simply returns me to the nook homepage with the big "n". I tried to select view all in my library, and I am able to see all my magazines and ebooks, but not my PDFs, much less view the "my documents" section at all.

Please help! :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Access "My Documents" in my nook!

This is a common problem right now.

It is usually caused by PDF files with incomplete metadata.  Some versions of Adobe Acrobat (creater, nor reader) for the Mac are particularly egregious at not properly filling in all the metadata.

The good news is that you can use Calibre or newer versions of Acrobat to correct the missing metadata.

Then re-copy these files to the nook, removing the old ones.

You can't do this with DRM protected PDFs, so best bet is not to put those on the nook just yet till the next fix comes out.

Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/   An awesome free software to manage your ebooks.

New User
32808g
0 Kudos

How do I access my documents on the nook. I was previously able to do it, and I know they are still there because I tried to download  them again and the computer showed that the files exist. However I can not open or view documents or see the pdf I downloaded.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Try hooking your Nook up to your computer, and try to eject it.

Contributor
jillhubbs
0 Kudos

I am having the exact same problem!  So frusterating!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

This problem is usualy caused by a corrupt file, which prevents the Nook from indexing the My Document folder correctly.

Delete all files in the My Documents folder, than do a search for new contect to index the folder correctly.

Put back the files one by one to find the corrupt one (usually one of the last files you copied to the folder).

New User
Chorean
0 Kudos

My Nook is practically in new condition, it's one of the originals that came out 2 winters ago.  It's  been almost a year since I've used it, and I touched it maybe 2-3 times before that when they first came out.  One of those times I tried to put some more pdf books on it, and all seemed fine and dandy. 

So now I cannot get past the My Documents button after updating it and downloading some pdf's onto it!!  I can use all other aspects of the Nook, and what's more is that the computer initially did recognize my Nook, and now all it does is keep restarting, over and over again.  Every time I plug the usb in from the Nook, it starts up again, but doesn't bring me to the screen that indicates I'm doing stuff on the computer.  It even freezes on occasion!

I don't know what is going on!  Do I need to reboot the entire system?  Should I just go see an expert?  Its possible a PDF was incorrectly formatted?  I made sure there weren't any viruses.

New User
Chorean
0 Kudos

Can't even get to the files within the nook to delete the files, do I have any choice except to unregister the nook and take it back to factory settings? Thanks

New User
razzell2
0 Kudos

I agree. Calibre is a great software tool for converting any ebook format into any other format you need for your reader.
For the Nook, you would convert your ebooks into epub format, or PDF.
Calibre creates a folder in your Documents showing you the books you have created/converted.
You can also add all books to your Nook directly from Calibre by connecting your Nook to your computer, (Calibre will find your device) and highlighting whatever books you want to add) and clicking the big icon up top that says Device. (Add to device).
You can also drag and drop your converted books into your Nook's "Books" folder, when the Nook is connected to your computer via USB.
New User
razzell2
0 Kudos

Agree. Delete all items from your Nook's Documents folder, go to your start menu and navigate to Computer, and highlight the Nook, and then "Safely Remove" the Nook.
Use Calibre to convert your files to PDF format, even if they are already in PDF format. This may repair any corrupted data.
Then drag and drop them back into your Nook.
If these are books that you are talking about, I wouldn't put them in your Nooks Documents folder. I would put them in the Books folder.
You can create a folder within the books folder, with the name of the book, or author, etc., and put them there.
New User
razzell2
0 Kudos

I agree with icebike wholeheartedly. 
Calibre is a fun, easy, efficient way to convert any ebook to your Nook readers format (.epub) and add them to your Nook.
Calibre will convert any ebook format into any other format you need.

It will change .mobi (Kindle), PDF, and any other format into .epub, which is the format your Nook uses.

Calibre will also download any metadata (covers, chapters, genre's, publisher....etc) to the data for the ebook, and add it to your book's info.

I often download books for my Nook that are already in epub format, and use Calibre to gather all of the books info, and convert into another epub file, delete the orginal epub file, and add a complete book to my Nook.

I enjoy using Calibre. It's fun to use.

If you are looking for another way to convert your ebook file to a different format, there is a simple web based converter that will convert from/to any format.  It does not give you any metadata, but it will convert formats.
It's an online Ebook Converter page, completely safe and effective.
Go here and give it a look:
http://ebook.online-convert.com/

This is the main page. You will see on the left of the page all of the conversion options.
Good luck, and have fun reading!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 562 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: