Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sweet_Candy15
0 Kudos

Cannot Un-register

I am trying to do a factory reser, but it says I have to  Un-Register my Nook 3G. I try to unregister it and says Invalid Email Address; that this email address is not associated with an existing BN.com account. Please re-enter your email address to continue.

I do this and then it says this nook is already registered.....and sends me in a loop.

HELP, please...I'm dying here.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Un-register

Sweet_Candy15 wrote:

I am trying to do a factory reser, but it says I have to  Un-Register my Nook 3G. I try to unregister it and says Invalid Email Address; that this email address is not associated with an existing BN.com account. Please re-enter your email address to continue.

I do this and then it says this nook is already registered.....and sends me in a loop.

HELP, please...I'm dying here.

A little more information is needed to help you:

1) Are you the original owner of this NOOK or did you just get it recently (used)?

2) have you recently changed the E-mail address on your B&N account?

3) Have you recently changed the address on your NOOK?

If you provide this information someone here should be able to assist you further.

Contributor
WillDementia
0 Kudos

Hello I'm having a similar problem and I'm in dire need of help.
so i found my old 1st gen nook and i wanted to start using it again but i realized someone must have reset my settings because it's asking me to register so i try to register and no matter where i try to register; under device settings or in B&N library every time i put in my email and password it tells me that some sort of error occurred and i should check wifi or call customer service i have no idea what to do, i changed my email on my B&N online account to see if a new email would help but in my settings my old email is still listed even tho the nook is unregistered.
i noticed in my library theirs about 3 books that have no title just numbers and when i try to open it it says i can't open so i tried to fix that problem by going on my account and deleting every sample hoping those titles would get removed but when i go to library and " check for updates " it stays the same with all my samples and i cant do anything about it i even plugged it into my laptop went under nooks books or w.e the folder is and deleted everything but still nothing please help me :c i just wanna read !
also i have dragged and dropped some Epub books into documents in hopes to be able to read it and nothing
Contributor
WillDementia
0 Kudos

I hope i'm not being rude intruding on this thread but i couldn't figure out how to make one myself lol
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Will,

I hope this helps you. Your NOOK was registered to an account identified by an email address.

If you stopped using the NOOK and subsequently changed the email address, then the NOOK remains associated to the old email address and can;t find the corresponding B&N account.

This association is on the B&N servers, not on the NOOK so no amount of resetting, rebooting, or O/S reloading will resolve it.

You have two options:

1) Set your B&N account name back to the email address that was in effect when you last used your old NOOK. Unregister the NOOK. Change your B&N account back to the new e-mail address. Re-register the NOOK.

or

2) Call B&N support like the error message told you to, they can force unregister the NOOK after first verifying that you are the rightful owner.

Contributor
WillDementia
0 Kudos

Well i changed my password back and i tried to register and it gave me the error c7851 message again so im guessing my only next step is to call customer service ?
Contributor
WillDementia
0 Kudos

Correction i mean i returned to the old email*

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Something to try:

Log into the website and click on the My Nook link at the top right of the page.  From that page click on Manage My NOOK (an inch or two down from the top, at the right side).  You should see your device(s).  If you mouse-over a device you should see a pop-up window, which has options including "Erase and Deregister device".  If you reset the device from there you might be able to then re-register the Nook from scratch.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

WillDementia wrote:
Well i changed my password back and i tried to register and it gave me the error c7851 message again so im guessing my only next step is to call customer service ?

Check on the settings page of your Nook if your serialnumber is 0.
If that is the case, then your Nook is dead and cannot be repaired.

Contributor
WillDementia
0 Kudos

nope i have a serial number
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I don't understand the aversion to calling tech support.

They will ask you your serial number, and your name to ensure that yolu are the registered owner of the NOOK.

Then they will punch a few keys on their end, remove the registration of your NOOK from their servers and you'll be able to register and get up and reading in no time.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 1,045 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: