Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
newge4
0 Kudos

Cannot connect wifi on home router

I just purchased a Nook yesterday and cannot get it to connect to my home network.  It sees it, but won't connect.  I have tried disabling security ( i use WPA2 PSK) and still wouldn't connect.  Took it out with me today running errands and was able to connect to multiple with no problems.  Using a Belkin f5d8236-4 v2 router with up to date firmware.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, although its not a huge deal because I'm planning on getting most of my e-books through my library.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Re: Cannot connect wifi on home router

Did you let the nook scan and find your router automatically?

Go into nook wifi, tell it to delete/forget that entry, power nook off, and reboot.

The go into wifi again and let it scan to find the router.  Select your router from the 

list and simply enter the password.

Other things that can trip you up is having MAC Address filtering turned on in 

the router without an entry for the nook's mac address, a very small subnet size

such that there are not enough IPs in the available range, and sometimes 802.11N

being turned on causes problems as well.  

(WPA2 is what you want, so you are on the right track there.  Its the most reliable).

New User
newge4
0 Kudos

1. Yes, it scans and finds my router with no problems, it just won't connect.

2. I don't have MAC address filtering enabled.

3. Router is set for 99 IP's in the pool.

3. I have tried setting the router to b&g and that didn't work either

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

newge4 wrote:

1. Yes, it scans and finds my router with no problems, it just won't connect.

2. I don't have MAC address filtering enabled.

3. Router is set for 99 IP's in the pool.

3. I have tried setting the router to b&g and that didn't work either

Try setting your "Authentication Type" to "Open System" if it is already set.  Apparently the nook doesn't work well with Authentication set to "Shared Key" according to some earlier posts.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
newge4
0 Kudos

I've tried it with security disabled and still couldn't get it to connect.  Also, I can't find an option to switch from shared to open authentication on this router.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Shared / open usually only pertains to WEP.

If you have a smartphone there are several utilities that you can download that help determine exactly what settings your router expects.  Some are fairly technical.

Did you try changing the SSID on the router to something other than the default, making sure it was unique, something no nearby router might have?

You might find a fix if you beat on it long enough, but realistically its a well known fact that 1.4 version of Nook software has some serious major flaws in the WiFi stack.  Your best bet might be to hope 1.5 (or what ever) comes out very soon.  

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Is your NOOK connecting to your router? In other words, is the problem between NOOK and router, or between NOOK and Internet? Check the DHCP Client List under LAN Setup.

New User
newge4
0 Kudos

Did you try changing the SSID on the router to something other than the default, making sure it was unique, something no nearby router might have?

Yes, the SSID has been changed from default.

Is your NOOK connecting to your router? In other words, is the problem between NOOK and router, or between NOOK and Internet? Check the DHCP Client List under LAN Setup.

The Nook lists my router when it searches for wi-fi, but when I try to connect, the connection fails.

I will also add that I had issues connecting a wi-fi printer to my network, basically the same problem, but the printer supported Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and I was able to get it on using push button configuration (couldn't get it to handshake using PIN method).  Too bad Nook doesn't support WPS.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Have you tried turning OFF WPS in the router?

There are lots of reports of this being problematic in its early implementations.  It actually causes your router to broadcast two SSIDs for short periods.  But some reports indicate it messes this up.

Basically if you have problems with a printer (which tend to be very basic) its not surprising nook will have problems. 

New User
msr61
0 Kudos

No matter what I try, I cannot get my 3G NOOK to connect to my home secured wi-fi. It sees my network, but will not connect when I input the password (and yes, I am using the correct one). I just got a DROID and was able to connect to my wi-fi in less than a minute....so I know the password works. One idea....our network is WPA2-personal....but that is not an option to choose from.....would this cause a problem? This is very frustrating.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Make sure your routers password is at least 13 characters long.

If its not, you might have to change it.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Make sure your routers password is at least 13 characters long.

If its not, you might have to change it.

Is password charatcer length on issue with WPA2?  

I've been having problems with my home wifi with book an original 3G Nook as well as a newer NookColor.  The 3G Nook I got last year and have never been able to connect, but haven't been too worried about it.  The NookColor is new, and needs the connection.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

On one of the other wifi threads, it was discovered that if the nook says "Wrong Password" it is in fact making a connection and then failing to allow access due to a wrong password.  (Machines seldom lie about this kind of thing).

I suggested they lengthen the password to at least 13 characters just as a "try this" suggestion.

Someone responded back that it worked.

Most devices pad the password with something if its not long enough, but since this isn't in the technical standard, what they choose to pad with may not be consistant across all devices and all chipsets.

So give it a try and see if it works, and PLEASE report back if this solves your problem.

Reader 4
Hotmaja54
0 Kudos

I had the same problem! My son fixed it. I don't know why it worked, but when he changed the password,the Wi FI connection went through immediatly when he entered it on the nook.

New User
msr61
0 Kudos

Once we changed our router password to 13 characters....my Nook connected like a charm. Give it a try people.

New User
MIZZ-KETA
0 Kudos

For some strange reason your nook will not connect if your in the room with your router....i had the same problem and i figured out that i have too actually leave out the room and go in too another part of the house and it picks up full signal.....how crazy but it works

New User
jesee77
0 Kudos

I have the same problem in not be able to connect with my new Nook Smart Touch.  I changed my password to 13 characters long, but everytime I try to connect it just brings me back to the Choose a Network to Use page.  My home router is secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK.  Any other suggestions?

New User
Aprilgale
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 274 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: