Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
daisy1990
0 Kudos

Cannot download sample book

I have been trying to download a couple of samples and am getting the cannot connect message even though I am connected to my home wifi.  (By the way, when I choose a sample at the store, why doesn't the full sample download at that point?)  I can shop and receive the Daily, but cannot download the sample...I just got my nook yesterday and am feeling frustrated....

Frequent Contributor
Trial_and_fire
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot download sample book

There are several threads on potential causes  ---

-Do you have a default credit card set up?

-Is that default CC a bank or debit card?

-Does everything match on your Default Credit Card and your real CC? (Name perfect, etc)

-Can you, from your account on your computer, download the sample? (Go to recent purchases or whatever and click on the book)

New User
daisy1990
0 Kudos

Why do I need to worry about my cc info for a free sample?

Frequent Contributor
Trial_and_fire
0 Kudos

Please read my blog about it - -www.trialandfire.com -- too tired to type it all again :smileyhappy:

Oh and it's your "ebook library" from "my account" on the website.  Just go there and find the sample and try to download it and let us know if it works.

New User
daisy1990
0 Kudos

It worked to set my default cc info....thanks so much!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

daisy1990 wrote:

Why do I need to worry about my cc info for a free sample?

To explain it again, for those of you who are new to the boards.

B&N uses a DRM encryption scheme that involves creating an "unlock key" that, at least in part, uses your credit card number.  Your CC number is essentially your password to access any documents downloaded from B&N, whether or not you have to pay for them.  Note also - this will also be the Adobe Digital Editions standard for all e-readers going forward, so it's not just a B&N thing.

This is intended to discourage you from downloading these files and sharing them with other people.  They are assuming that you will not be willing to share your credit card number outside of a very small group of people that you trust implicitly (i.e., spouse).  The flip side of this is that, for your own devices, you can load the book on as many times as you want, so if everyone in your family (or at least everyone you trust with access to your CC) registers their nook to the same account, you can all access each others books (as opposed to the kindle limit of 6 devices, which can run out pretty quickly when iphone, desktop and other apps start getting used as well).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What Very-Simple said...

And also, you only have to enter this CC once.   The nook will remember it in an encrypted file.

If you Change your Default CC#s in the future, you will be asked for the new one.  Once.  

Not a big deal.

Its just odd that people don't trust a device that they own and hold in their hand, but freely register their credit card at a company website to buy books.  The same company that sold them the device has the card already.  Why would they have to steal the number from you entering on the nook?

New User
darklover
0 Kudos

Re: touchscreen

my color touch screen occasionally goes dark and wont respond ..... also i was wonderin abt the copy and paste function ive accidently copied somethin b4 but i dont have a clue how i did it or how to paste the text somewhere else

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 77 members 1,015 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: