Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book

[ Edited ]

The message you're getting is the one you get when you completely bypass ADE.  You can't download directly from the library to NOOK.  You need to download to your PC or Mac, "unlock" the DRM with Adobe Digital Edition, (ADE) and then transfer it to NOOK.

The short version is (for NOOK but NOOKColor users report that it is the very same process):

• Download ADE.
  • Authorize ADE on your computer.
  • Go to library.
  • Download an ebook.  (Don't save, click open.  It should open with ADE.)
  • Plug in NOOK.
  • ADE recognizes NOOK.
  • Authorize NOOK in ADE by following prompts.
  • Drag icon of book (in ADE!) onto icon of NOOK (in ADE!)
  • "Eject" NOOK
  • Tap "Check for New Content" in "My Documents"  <--- this will be Sync
  • Read.  :smileyvery-happy:

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.  The downloading of the software and authorizing NOOKand Computer takes about five minutes.  After that the whole process is about a minute per book. 

The thread in my signature by FrogAlum is basically the ADE bible.  Any questions you might have are answered somewhere in it.  (She links to the download site for Adobe Digital Editions and has the most common troubleshooting covered - but you might need to read the whole thread depending on what issues you might have.  I never had any, but  others have needed to delete two folders to make it all work.)

Contributor
blueDT
0 Kudos

This will work for a Mac correct??

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

You can download the Nook for the Mac, There are also apps for the iPod, iPhone, iPad.

New User
seay459
0 Kudos

How did you fix the "user not activated" message to access your book?

Reader
Nahgwan
0 Kudos

This worked perfectly for me.  I had been trying to drag it from the ADE folder under My Documents on my computer to the Nook folder under My Computer, and it would show up, but wouldn't open.  It would just return to the My Documents list on the Nook.  But when I did it how you suggested - opening the actual ADE, and dragging it from the Borrowed list onto the section that said Nook in ADE, it worked perfectly!  Whether I replaced the other file or simply duplicated it, it worked both ways.  One copy of it shows up on the My Documents list on my Nook now, and it opens exactly like it should.  I even tested the process with a couple other library books, and it worked great each time.  Thank you!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

New User
mcvidan
0 Kudos

I have tried everything reasonable to solve the same problem! After exhausting all possibilities, I tried this and it worked...Thank you!!!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 228 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: