Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Re: How to delete downloaded books from 'My Documents'

[ Edited ]

816 wrote:

I have downloaded 5 books via ADE from the public library and sideloaed them on to my Nook.  How can I delete them from my Nook after I have read them?

Thank you.

Connect your Nook to your computer.  If you used ADE to put the books on your Nook, they will be in the Digital Editions folder.  Delete them from there.  Eject and unplug your Nook.  On your Nook, go to the My documents part of your library and click "Check for new content".

Reader 2
Happy_Nook_Reader
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book

[ Edited ]

Michael-V

Administrator

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions regarding downloading books from the library to my computer and then transferring them to my new Nook Color.

I was familiar with downloading from library to computer, but was having trouble transferring them to my new Nook Color. I had spent a week trying to solve the problem. With your detailed instructions, I was able to successfully complete the task in no time and begin my reading.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Happy_Nook_Reader

New User
CarolaNH
0 Kudos

ADE is not automatically asking me to authorize my Nook.  How do I authorize it?  I've checked out two books from the library but am not able to transfer either one to my Nook.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

hook your Nook to your computer click on the icon that is the nook drive look for the adobe digital editions folder and delete it. open up ADE and it should ask you to register.

CarolaNH wrote:

ADE is not automatically asking me to authorize my Nook.  How do I authorize it?  I've checked out two books from the library but am not able to transfer either one to my Nook.

Reader
luannhickman
0 Kudos

I cannot open a book. It is in my library on line but it is not on my Nook.

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Here's what I've tried and none of it worked.  I get the unauthorized user message.

Hardware/Software -

MacBook w/10.6.5

New NookColor

Latest Downloaded ADE from Adobe

1. Authorized the Mac
  2. Authorized the NC
  3. Used Overdrive to checkout a book
  4. Opened with ADE
  5. Successfully sideloaded to the NC
  6. Got the error message when I opened the book
  7. Reads fine using ADE on the Mac
  8. Redownloaded ADE
  9. Deleted book
  10. Fail

1. Unregistered the Mac
  2. Found hidden ".adobe.digital..." folder on NC and deleted
  3. Hard reset of the NC
  4. Deleted ADE
  5. Re-downloaded ADE
  6. Re-registered the Mac
  7. Re-authorized the NC
  8. Downloaded a different book via Overdrive
  9. Successfully loaded/opened/read with ADE on the Mac
  10. Successfully transfered to the Nook via ADE
  11. Received same error message
  12. Went to B&N and was told by their "Nook guy" that I don't need ADE to borrow library books
  13. Went across the street to Best Buy and returned the NC

Best Buy is naturally now sold out locally.  So next week they should have them in. I intend to try to do the library thing BEFORE anything else with my replacement NC.  Failing that, I'll return it AGAIN, and wait a few weeks/months after B&N release Android 2.2 for the NC.  I'm HOPING that Adobe revs ADE to suit.  I'll then re-purchase the NC to see if it works.

Other then the library book issue, the NC works great and I really liked it. Too bad a key reason for the purchase was that my local library rented eBooks.  Between that and the Free Library of Philadelphia, I figured, I'd have a great reading/movie/music/browsing device for my many business trips.

Oh well.  Hopefully the wait won't be too long and the library thing will work.

New User
CarolaNH
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!  That did the trick.

Reader 2
Jan73MN
0 Kudos

Followed all of this, still cannot open book.

Reader 2
Jan73MN
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, same publication date, how did you get it to open the book, I am getting frustrated.

Contributor
schmity624
0 Kudos

So you have to hook your nook up to the computer to get library e-books? What if you don't have a computer?

Contributor
schmity624
0 Kudos

Ok im confused. Your need to have a computer to download your library e-books? What if the only computer you can get to is the library computer where you can only go onto the internet?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

schmity624 wrote:

Ok im confused. Your need to have a computer to download your library e-books?

Yes, you need a computer to read library books on your NOOK.  

(See the other place where you asked this; two of us have directed you to explicit instructions - and you'll find those instructions in my signature as well.)

Distinguished Correspondent
spinndiva
0 Kudos

WOHOOO! Thanks to this thread I can now open my public library ebooks! You guys rock!

New User
Brewyet
0 Kudos

My wife is returning her's tommorrow. I have read and read and read all of the info here and on many other forums. I still get the Not Authorized message when trying to open a downloaded library book. This is the whole reason my wife wanted this thing. I work with computers every day, I understand them. This whole process has me totally stumped. I even went as far as going back to default on the nook. Then, reinstalled ADE on my mac. Re-authorized the computer then the nook. Re-downloaded the book (I returned the book before starting this process) all worked fine. Then....got the "not autorized" message again..... If my wife had to do this on her own....ohh man, it would have gone back to the store days ago. Sorry B&N, we're going to get something else. Thanks....

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Not authorized" means that you need to plug NOOK into the computer, delete the .adobe-digital-editions file and the Digital Editions folder (if it exists).  You have to show hidden files to find files whose names begin with "dot."

Then you need to open Adobe Digital Editions, reauthorize NOOK and drag and drop.

See the link in my signature for exactly what to do.  The thread is long, but everything is covered in it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Brewyet wrote:

My wife is returning her's tommorrow. I have read and read and read all of the info here and on many other forums. I still get the Not Authorized message when trying to open a downloaded library book. This is the whole reason my wife wanted this thing. I work with computers every day, I understand them. This whole process has me totally stumped. I even went as far as going back to default on the nook. Then, reinstalled ADE on my mac. Re-authorized the computer then the nook. Re-downloaded the book (I returned the book before starting this process) all worked fine. Then....got the "not autorized" message again..... If my wife had to do this on her own....ohh man, it would have gone back to the store days ago. Sorry B&N, we're going to get something else. Thanks....

You realize your problem is more than likely with ADE not the Nook?  So you could have the same issue with any other reader you buy that uses library books.

I will tell you that from what I've read, it seems that the users having the most problems with ADE are on a Mac.  I believe some of them said they were able to activate the Nook on a PC and then they were able to use it on the Nook, but that's just my recall, which isn't all that great at times.

New User
Karen_Reads
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book in Nook

Hello,

I authorized ADE to my computer WITHOUT having my Nook first attached!

Now my Nook doesn't show up in ADE, so I can't open books to my Nook.

I have tried re-authorizing but that is not an option.  I also uninstalled ADE and re-installed with my Nook attached via USB, but it still recognizes my pc and is already authorized.  How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Karen

karenreads.com

New User
Karen_Reads
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book in Nook - fix

Okay, here is the fix:

You need to deactivate ADE by holding down the Shift+Ctr+D keys. (close ADE)

THEN make sure your Nook is connected.

Then, open ADE and authorize it with your Nook connected.

Fixed!

Karen

Reader 2
Jan73MN
0 Kudos

I had the problem of library books not opening on my Nook.

My problem was solved by:

All passwords, Barnes & Noble, Nook and Adobe Digital, need to be identical, including case size.

I needed to make all three identical, delete Adobe Digital, then download again, register, etc. and it worked.

New User
-pinkysue-
0 Kudos

I got my NC registered, downloaded my library books to the NC, and now when I open them it asks me to Unlook my ebook by entering a credit card.  These are from a library. I did not use a credit card to download these books??? Won't accept any credit card I've put in, and won't accept my library card number. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 625 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: