Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
josiect
0 Kudos

Cannot open book

I uploaded a book from the library. First the message was that the user was not activated. I fixed that problem and now it says that it can't open the book. I have read the FAQs and solutions and don't see any steps to take. Any suggestions?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Here are instructions for downloading a library book:

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your nook.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “nook” icon.

4.  Undock the nook from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
josiect
0 Kudos

I thought that I had done everything but I deleted the book from the nook, followed your instructions and can now open the book.

Thanks for the quick and complete reply.

New User
BitsyBook
0 Kudos

Here's a fun one for you.  I downloaded Jonathan Kellerman's "Deception" to my Nook.  It won't open.  So I go to B&N online and look in my library, and there it is, so I download it to my hard drive.  when I open it, it is actually the free book by Benjamin Franklin that came with the Nook.  I do this, carefully, 3 times.  So, I paid for the book, but don't have it. Can you help?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@BitsyBook,

I am looking into this with our Content team. 

FYI.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
lhilman
0 Kudos

I also cannot open the ebook I just purchased.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

lhilman wrote:

I also cannot open the ebook I just purchased.

What eBook?  The more information you give us the beter we can try and help you!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
New User
lhilman
0 Kudos

The book I cannot open is James Patterson's "9th Judgement."

Thank you,

Laura

New User
talietash
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have followed the exact directions you noted in your post. I even made sure my Adobe Digital Editions was authorized to the same email address that my nook is registered to.

I got the books from the nypl site. The books appear in my documents but they all say the same thing when I try to read them "sorry,unable to open this book".

When I look at the information they also all say the publication date was December 31st 1969.

Can someone help me figure out how to read these library books on my Nook?

Thanks,

Update: I figured it out! Yay! Only took me two weeks. No need to reply. Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

talietash wrote:

I have followed the exact directions you noted in your post. I even made sure my Adobe Digital Editions was authorized to the same email address that my nook is registered to.

I got the books from the nypl site. The books appear in my documents but they all say the same thing when I try to read them "sorry,unable to open this book".

When I look at the information they also all say the publication date was December 31st 1969.

Can someone help me figure out how to read these library books on my Nook?

Thanks,

When you try to open them in Adobe Digital Editions, what do you see?  Make sure your computer is authorized as well as your nook.

Reader 2
Hynook
0 Kudos

Hi,

I learned that I cannot have the Nook open when side loading a book from the library. Once you have Nook plugged into computer and your library book downloaded into Adobe click on any option other than Nook such as recently purchased, borrowed etc. Now drag your book into the nook. You should have a green plus sign. Then screen shows book loading into Nook. When finished eject the nook and the book should be there. Sometimes I have to shut my Nook off for 60 seconds and restart to get the book.

Hope this helps

Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book--Redux

Hynook wrote:

Hi,

I learned that I cannot have the Nook open when side loading a book from the library. Once you have Nook plugged into computer and your library book downloaded into Adobe click on any option other than Nook such as recently purchased, borrowed etc. Now drag your book into the nook. You should have a green plus sign. Then screen shows book loading into Nook. When finished eject the nook and the book should be there. Sometimes I have to shut my Nook off for 60 seconds and restart to get the book.

Hope this helps

I just sideloaded a library book via my computer ADE program, and when I try to open the book on my Nook, I get the message "User not Activated." 

However, I am able to open this book on my computer, and I saw the book transfer to the Nook, which has already been authorized by my ADE program.  I even deleted (i.e.. "returned") the book from the Nook and computer and then reborrowed it, but I am still unable to open it once it is on the Nook.  For what it's worth, this is the first library book that I am trying to read on my new Nook (rather than on my computer).

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

New User
SPalm
0 Kudos

Having the same problem. Only reason I went with the Nook over Kindle. ADE is not giving me an option to authorize the Nook. This is maddening. Let me know if you get any real, workable answer.

Reader
Nathan_Henrion
0 Kudos

I purchased The Hanging Tree by Bryan Gruley.   The title comes up on my Nook, but it will not open.  I get the message "Sorry, unable to open this book".  I am able to download it and open it up on my Mac.  All my other B&N books seem to be working.  Help!  Really was looking forward to this book

Contributor
nightreader60
0 Kudos

taiietash- can you let me know what it is that you did to fix your problem?? I am having the exact same problem and my daughter and i have been trying to get it to work for hours now.  Please help!

Reader 2
slifkak
0 Kudos

I puchased a book that will not open on my nook-tried to arch then reload still it will not open

Any ideas

New User
rodonnel
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot open book--Redux

I am having the exact same problem as chesspain.  I can download the book into ADE, see the Nook, drag the book over and ADE says it has been copied;  but then when I try to open the book on my Nook, it says "User Not Activated."  I talked with B&N support tonight and they are mystified.  If I cannot borrow library books I will return this device!

Reader 4
0 Kudos

How to delete downloaded books from 'My Documents'

I have downloaded 5 books via ADE from the public library and sideloaed them on to my Nook.  How can I delete them from my Nook after I have read them?

Thank you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: How to delete downloaded books from 'My Documents'

@816,

For deleting personal documents and files sideloaded from your NOOK, connect your NOOK to your computer with the USB cable and open the NOOK drive for the internal memory. Go to the folder named my documents, or in folders under that folder and click on any items you want to delete and drag it out of the NOOK drive and either onto your computer trash bin or elsewhere on your computer.  Then safely disconnect your NOOK from the computer and tap on my library and tap on Check for new B&N content.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 253 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: