Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Freakin
0 Kudos

Caution: Nook 1.2 Update *CAN* corrupt your My Documents - Backup First!

After sideloading and updating to 1.2 on my nook today, I found that I was unable to open My Library.  After deleting all the items in My Documents on the nook I was able to get back to My Library and browse my B&N content.  When I attempted to put the books back on the Nook, it started crashing entering My Library again. 

I found searching the forums that this happened to some other people as well.

After spending 50 minutes on hold w/ B&N support, I found out that the update has been corrupting some of the contents of some My Documents directories on Nooks.

His only advice was "Do you have a backup?".

I did, so I replaced the books in My Docs w/ originals and I'm good to go again.

So if you're not on 1.2 yet and have items in My Docs that you don't want to lose, copy them off now.

If you are stuck like I was being unable to load My Library, plug your nook into your computer and delete the contents of My Docs (he was not specific on what types were being corrupted) and replace them w/ originals.

I had pdb, lit, pdfs and epubs in My Docs so I really can't say which file types are being corrupted by the update.

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

Re: Caution: Nook 1.2 Update *CAN* corrupt your My Documents - Backup First!

Thx for the info for those of us that might experience this issue!

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up!

New User
aqueen
0 Kudos

This too happened to me and I did start all over but it still wont reload the old files...This thing is about ready to go back after being put on hold for almost an hour only to then be transferred and hung up on. I'm not sure all this frustration is worth it... Anyone

Contributor
Mochasmom
0 Kudos

I am just curious... what do you use My Documents for on a Nook? I bought it to read books, is this where you put side-loaded books?

New User
e1allen2
0 Kudos

I too had the problem when I updated my wifes' nook.  It no longer found any of the documents she had sideloaded on the micro sd.

You said the problem is the My Documents folder?  Hmm...When I opened the folder on the nook, it was empty.  I copied the files from the micro sd into the My Documents folder on the nook and after ejecting the devices, still nothing.

So I wonder did it corrupt the files on the micro sd too.

Another problem is bookmarks.  All of the books she had been reading suddenly(thanks to the update?) are no longer there.  This was content from B&N.

Thanks for those providing their experiences and offering advice.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Mochasmom wrote:

I am just curious... what do you use My Documents for on a Nook? I bought it to read books, is this where you put side-loaded books?

the My Documents folder is for everything that is not purchased directly/downloaded wirelessly from B&N.  The My B&N documents is ONLY for documents that are essentially "synced" with the B&N server and are in your ebook library online at the B&N website. 

Contributor
Kerloy
0 Kudos

Hi I dont think any corruption is happening, if you have any pdfs created using adobe distiller mac version 7 please remove it from your nook. It will start working, i have the same problem and it took some time for me to identify the issue, if still you have the same issue please reply ...

Reader 2
kyba
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. After deleting and reinstalling all pdf files (almost all my books are pdf files) about 4-5 times , it finally recognized one book. But soon as I try to add a second one.

It crashes.

:smileysad:

For now I will read this one book and hopefully there will be answers soon.

Reader 2
kyba
0 Kudos

Kerloy wrote:

Hi I dont think any corruption is happening, if you have any pdfs created using adobe distiller mac version 7 please remove it from your nook. It will start working, i have the same problem and it took some time for me to identify the issue, if still you have the same issue please reply ...

how can I tell if the pdf was made with adobe distiller mac version 7, so I can figure out which ones are corrupting my folder?

So far only one book is recognized!!! I have LOTS to read yet..........

I had a full weekend free for reading :smileysad:

New User
segFault
0 Kudos

I had over 3GB worth of misc files, mostly in PDF,  in micro-SD, and after 1.2 update, I can no longer change from "My B&N Documents" to "My Documents"  at all. Device simply takes back to top menu after a some delay.  I'll going to compare to originals and reload a folder at a time.

One nice things was MP3 player started to work with this update, although some file names in foreign language show up correctly and some don't. Maybe missing wchar fonts still?

PDF rendering is still poor, and I found Kindle DX worked at lot better. PDF pages with images can't be zoomed in making it impossibly small and much of equations and diagrams don't look correct at all. None of my PDF's from MAC as I use LINUX(CentOS or fefora) mostly. Has anyone looked into SONY device for PDF?

Inspired Contributor
JAin-NYC
0 Kudos

Thanks for this post!  My Documents suffered a temporary glitch after the upgrade.  This post save me time and frustration.  I deleted the files and side loaded them again from the original copies saved on my hard drive.  Now My Documents is working fine and all the titles that weren't showing pre upgrade are showing now.

New User
Gavnone
0 Kudos

I had a glitch with reading my PDF documents after the update yet, after I pressed the "check for new content" button (I needed to do it twice), I was able to access them again.

Contributor
Kerloy
0 Kudos

just open the pdf using adobe reader from file menu select properties, and check for pdf producer in the advanced section ...
New User
foghornleghorn
0 Kudos

I loaded 1.2 last night and had a similar problem. I could access my BN lib but could not longer access my "My Documents" lib. I removed all the files and I could then access. I added them all back from archive and got the same problem. I narrowed it down to a single file that the new os didn't like. I think it might have something to do with the file name. This particular file had an exceptionally long file and cryptic file name. I think the new sorting feature chokes on it. I renamed it and all is well.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

foghornleghorn wrote:

I loaded 1.2 last night and had a similar problem. I could access my BN lib but could not longer access my "My Documents" lib. I removed all the files and I could then access. I added them all back from archive and got the same problem. I narrowed it down to a single file that the new os didn't like. I think it might have something to do with the file name. This particular file had an exceptionally long file and cryptic file name. I think the new sorting feature chokes on it. I renamed it and all is well.

That bears repeating in BOLD.  

I suspected it could be something like that as well.  Was it a PDF, or something else?

I say, I say, Good Catch there son.

Contributor
Wiggum
0 Kudos

same problem with my doc's. I had to remove them. I put only one back on and will see how it goes. Thought maybe it was just a simple formating issue with the new update. We will see.

New User
tedwarda
0 Kudos

I too have these problems.  My documents won't work.  It only now reads simple PDFs with no graphics on them.  I bought the nook because it can originally read any pdfs.  But this is no longer the case.  BN please advise.  A firmware update is supposed to upgrade not downgrade!

New User
foghornleghorn
0 Kudos

icebike,

I was wrong on what corrected the issue. It was not the long file weird file name. It was a corrupted .pdf. It looked fine when I opened on the PC, but when I copied to the nook it caused the nook to restart. When I replaced the file with fresh copy from the internet it fixed the problem. Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes this boy's bout as sharp as a bowlin ball......

Foghorn

Frequent Contributor
Groo
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I checked my docs and they appear to be ok. I didn't have a ton and they are relatively simple ( and backed up ).

I'll keep an eye on it as I add more though.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 215 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: