Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SeriouslyKS
0 Kudos

Re: Caution: Nook 1.2 Update *CAN* corrupt your My Documents - Backup First!

I cannot access any of my side-loaded books and I have tried all of the suggestions on this post. I have over 100 books loaded (and back ups on my laptop). I've removed, reloaded and rebooted over and over, checked for and removed ANY produced by a Mac - nothing has worked. Every time I try to view contents of my documents, it checks for new content and returns to the start screen. That's it! All other functions are working except for this!

I've had my nook for just 3 weeks - one week past the option to return it, of course! For the price of this gadget, I'd rather have actual books. My research work is at a complete halt using the nook. I'll have to read my ebooks on my laptop! What a disappointment!

B/N, IF you haven't got a fix or replacement for me - PLEASE take back this nook and refund my money! I am an advanced techie and this has been a colossal waste of money and time!

New User
TreetopFP
0 Kudos

I had this issue also - Had about 20 pdf's stored couldn't get to anything - removed reloaded rebooted .

Then I deleted the Barnes and Noble downloads folder wherein I had dracula and little women etc the free stuff that came on first download.  I put back my pdfs one at a time into my docs and it worked fine after that.  just have to clean stuff out until you find what is corrupted.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SeriouslyKS wrote:

PLEASE take back this nook and refund my money! I am an advanced techie and this has been a colossal waste of money and time!

An advanced techie would remove all books, load 10 or 20, see if it works, rinse repeat, till it found the place where it failed, then remove that last group, and add them one at a time to find the problem child.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

SeriouslyKS wrote:

PLEASE take back this nook and refund my money! I am an advanced techie and this has been a colossal waste of money and time!

An advanced techie would remove all books, load 10 or 20, see if it works, rinse repeat, till it found the place where it failed, then remove that last group, and add them one at a time to find the problem child.

What a waste of time! A reasonably intelligent programmer would notify you when they encountered a corrupted or unusable file instead of just resetting back to the home screen with no information given about the reason. But then I guess they don't have any advanced techies programming the nook.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

rotorhead wrote:
 What a waste of time! A reasonably intelligent programmer would notify you when they encountered a corrupted or unusable file instead of just resetting back to the home screen with no information given about the reason. But then I guess they don't have any advanced techies programming the nook.

Its only a waste of time if SeriouslyKS does NOT need these documents.  If they are needed, for 100 documents SKS could be done with this in about 5 minutes.  How serious could THAT be?

There is always the OTHER options of trying to get a refund, selling it on Ebay, using Calibre, or waiting 3 months till the next update comes out.  

Its a work around.  Nobody said its perfect.  Whining for the next 3 months isn't going to help anyone.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

rotorhead wrote:

Its only a waste of time if SeriouslyKS does NOT need these documents.  If they are needed, for 100 documents SKS could be done with this in about 5 minutes.  How serious could THAT be?

There is always the OTHER options of trying to get a refund, selling it on Ebay, using Calibre, or waiting 3 months till the next update comes out.  

Its a work around.  Nobody said its perfect.  Whining for the next 3 months isn't going to help anyone.

Why should we have to wait 3 months for the next update? They have already come out with 2 in the past 2 months. Your attitude is amazing. Do you work for B&N? Seriously, you seem to be trying to make light of this very serious problem. Why shouldn't we expect a fix for this problem quickly? Why shouldn't we expect reasonable testing before new firmware is released? This problem has affected quite a few people, was any Beta testing done before releasing this firmware? Was it tested on a variety of configurations with a variety of eBook types?

Your attitude seems to be Shut Up and accept whatever garbage release we decide to give you even if it breaks your nook. And you shouldn't expect us to fix a problem that we create, you should find your own workaround to our problems. You must work in Customer Relations.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If I worked for B&N I would have to be polite.  But I don't.

I'm tired of people who think their special problem is the end of the world.   I'm tired of people demanding rush updates that break more than they fix.  

Version 1.0 was slow in page turning and had ADE problems, but pretty much every thing else worked. People demanded rush fixes.  They came out with 1.1.0 and broke a whole lot of stuff.  Do some searches of Bookmarks, Sorting, formatting forever.  All these problems were introduced by rushed bug fixes.

I see nothing wrong with studying the problem till the proper fix is found.  If your documents don't conform to the standard then that's your problem.  Mine work.  All of them.  PDF, PDB, EPUB.  I don't need another broken release just because of some perceived emergency on your part.   

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

So as I said earlier, this problem doesn't affect you so you have no stake in this discussion and we are all whining by complaining.

Before 1.2.0 I was disappointed with the speed of turning pages, disappointed that bookmarks didn't work correctly and disappeared occasionally. Those were minor annoyances. Corrupting and loosing my eBooks is more than a minor annoyance. But It's OK because you were not affected, lucky You.

How do you know that my eBooks do not conform to standards? Because yours work? Mine worked on 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 but no longer, did the standards change with 1.2.0?

--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

rotorhead wrote:

How do you know that my eBooks do not conform to standards? Because yours work?

NO, because yours DON'T work.  

Case Closed.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

rotorhead wrote:

How do you know that my eBooks do not conform to standards? Because yours work?

NO, because yours DON'T work.  

Case Closed.

So the standards changed between 1.1.0 and 1.2.0? Mine worked before this last disaster of a release!

And these same BAD files can be read just fine by Adobe Reader when the Nook is connected via USB to the PC. Maybe the Nook is non-standard! All of my .pdf files worked on 1.1.0 and they still work on Adobe Reader but not on Nook 1.2.0 so I wonder where the problem is.

Oh but since you are not affected it is not an important issue. It's nice to have someone on the board who understands everything as thoroughly as you do.

--- Carl Sagan
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

in the meantime, you've spend more time on this board bitching about the problem than it would have taken you to figure out which file(s) on your nook was actually causing the problem.  Icebike, who doesn't work for B&N, simply offered you a way to find the corrupt file, but instead of following his (fairly easy) instructions, you've decided your time is better spent berating him because...well, I can't really figure out why.  

And he's not saying that standards changed between 1.1 and 1.2.  The problem is (most likely) that a file was somehow corrupted between 1.1 and 1.2, and while the adobe on your computer may be more "forgiving" of incompatible files, that doesn't mean that it's not file that's the problem.  

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

I removed the offending files from my nook yesterday. My nook is back up and working. What happened to cause the problem? Were the files corrupted or did the nook firmware change to be less forgiving?

Where is the guidance from B&N. More and more people keep popping on here reporting that they are having this problem. Why is B&N still updating nooks with 1.2 when they know that many people are suffering data corruption? Removing the offending file is not correcting any problem it is simply a workaround. Why not stop the update process until you understand the problem? Is it better to corrupt the data on many nooks rather than admit that there is a problem and correct it before continuing?

I spent about 4 hours yesterday identifying that the problem was caused by files in "My Documents" and then removing all files and reloading them a couple at a time until I identified all that caused problems. How many more customers should have to go through this workaround before the update process is stopped until the problem is understood and resolved?

--- Carl Sagan
Reader
machinegeek
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Not only does the 1.2 upgrade NOT add the much needed "goto page" function, but now this doc corruption problem.  Can we say "not ready for primetime"???

Contributor
Kerloy
0 Kudos

The issue it seems is realted to the new sorting feature introduced. any books without a title or an author name causes trouble, Also as i pointed out earlier, pdfs generated out of Adobe distiller for MAC v7 also is having the issue. All these issues just signify one thing, the firware is released without proper testing :smileyhappy: 

Reader
stewrat
0 Kudos

Interesting reading - so I would appreciate any suggestion here. I am just about to receive a nook, not sure of firmware. I have an extensive personal library, epub and pdf etc... like a lot of folks. And I will be "sideloading" books to the nook. So what is the recommendation for this here as it appears firmware version 1.2 has an issue with sideloaded books, as do previous versions of firmware - albet different problems

<1.2 - couldn't search by author / title ( so I have read )

1.2 - can have issues if the nook doesn't like you file version ( which basically means to me that advertising of being PDF compatible is not accurate if not all PDF types work ).

It appears to me holding on downloading a lot of sideloaded books until this problem is fixed is my solution - ie not using the nook as advertised it can be used, and not using it for the purpose I bought it.

Or - is there an alternative given I have a vanilla nook coming ? Advice appreciated on what best to do here.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 474 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: