Reader 2
DanniBreedlove
0 Kudos

Changed Email... Can't unregister nook!

Recently my old email that was attached to both B&N.com and my nook was stolen by someone and I can no longer use it. So I made a new email and changed my B&N email to it. But now I can not change my email on my nook! It still is set to the old email. When I click unregister, it says incorrect email and when I try to enter the new email it says "Already registered?" and so on. I can not restore the nook either, as it asks me to unregister the nook first. Is there anything I can do to fix it? There is no way to get into the old email... as I said, it's been stolen and there is no way to get back in. I've heard that you have to change the B&N.com account back to the old email, but doesn't it send a confirmation email back to the old one? Uh-uh I'm not doing that.

Thanks in advance!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Changed Email... Can't unregister nook!

You have to set your account back to the old email address and unregister it and then change your email address to the new one.  Right now you're just trying to communicate with an account that doesn't  exist so cute and register itself.

Reader 2
DanniBreedlove
0 Kudos

Okay, well I just told you that the old email has been hacked into and stolen. I really do not want to change the email back to that one because isn't there a confirmation email sent to the new email when you change it on B&N?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I've never changed my email address so I don't know.  I realize you said it had been hacked, I'mjust telling you that you can't unregister it without the account name (email address)  matching the device.  The Nook is trying to find an account that no longer exists.  It can't unregister from a nonexistent account.  The other option would be to call CS and see if they can help.

Reader 2
DanniBreedlove
0 Kudos

Sorry, not trying to be rude. I just don't want to have to do that. I'm planning on going to Barnes and Noble soon anyways, but I wanted to try and figure this out without having to bring my nook in to them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I don't know if B&N sends you a confirmation email or not, but it seems like changing it back to the hacked email is your best chance to fix the issue. Basically you'd change your account to the old email, unregister your nook, then change the account to the new email, then re-register your nook using the new email. Your account would be on the hacked email for only a few minutes at most, so you should be just fine. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

keriflur wrote:

I don't know if B&N sends you a confirmation email or not, but it seems like changing it back to the hacked email is your best chance to fix the issue. Basically you'd change your account to the old email, unregister your nook, then change the account to the new email, then re-register your nook using the new email. Your account would be on the hacked email for only a few minutes at most, so you should be just fine. 

Just to add to keriflur's suggestion above.

If you are concerned:

1) first remove all your credit card information from the account, so even if the malicious person gets into your account, they can't make any purchases.

2) Change the password on the account, so even if the person who hacked your email gets notified, they will be unable to log into your account.

3) then change it back to the old address.

4) unregister the NOOK

5) change the account to the new address

6) add the credit card back to the account, do this before re-registering your NOOK so the books can start downloading as soon as it is registered.

7) then register the NOOK.

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Actually you don't need to change the address, or your account. Just go to your nook, settings there is a option for factory reset. This will clear everything including the registration. :smileyhappy:
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

DBDigital wrote:
Actually you don't need to change the address, or your account. Just go to your nook, settings there is a option for factory reset. This will clear everything including the registration. :smileyhappy:

THAT IS A VERY BAD IDEA !!!

What you suggest does not, repeat NOT, clear the registration on B&N's servers, AND FOR GOOD REASON:  To prevent a stolen device from being reset to factory contents and then resold.  See the current thread titled, "Nook Simple Touch in blacklist".

The solution is to do as LarryOnLI suggests.  Or, you can contact B&N while the device and your online B&N account are still tied to the old eMail address, and provide them with enough information to make sure you are the same person.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:61 members 426 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: