Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
beckIN
0 Kudos

Changing email address

Hi all,

I have tried several times to change my email address on my Nook. But it will not accept the new address,even though my B&N account has the new address. Help!  I can't download my new books!

How can I get my Nook to accept my new email address?

Thanks in advance!

Beck

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Changing email address

beckIN wrote:

Hi all,

I have tried several times to change my email address on my Nook. But it will not accept the new address,even though my B&N account has the new address. Help!  I can't download my new books!

How can I get my Nook to accept my new email address?

Thanks in advance!

Beck

Look in the User guide. It explains what you need to do.  You need to set your B&N account back to your old email address.  Then unregisters the Nook.  Then change the email address.  Register the Nook.  Be sure to read the User Guide section about the impact of unregistering your Nook before you do it, so you don't have any surprises.  I think it may be around page 68, but I'm not sure, just search on email address.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lkmiller wrote:

Go to your B&N online account.  Change the email address back to the your old one.  Unregister your Nook.  Go back to your B&N online account.  Change the email address to your new one.  Register your Nook with the new address.  In the future, remember to unregister your Nook before changing your B&N account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same topic different thread.

Contributor
CindyWhoLu
0 Kudos

You have to be kidding me, you have to change the email back to the old one and then unregister the nook and re-register using the new address?!?!?!?  That is crazy!  Plus, I will loose all the content and wi-fi settings, etc.  I am not pleased that I have to jump thru hoops in order to change the email on a devise that was already registered and is associated with my B&N account with the new email address already established just to download books that I am purchasing!  FAIL B&N!!!  Not a user friendly idea of updating information. 

Contributor
CindyWhoLu
0 Kudos

I have to edit my original post and admit that changing the address was not as bad as it originally appeared it would be.  I think what was freaking me out a bit was the fact that I no longer had access to the old email address and I was afraid I would need to go to a link to finish the change or something, but I did not need to.  I still think there should be some type of warning and it may not have gone as smooth had I downloaded books from another source, but in my case the outcome was okay. 

Contributor
joseph-d

I would agree that unregistering your nook before changing your bn account number seems backwards and a potential hazard if your former email address is unavailable or hacked.

after all my nook should be linked to my bn account. if that changes the nook should recognize it and update the profile.

New User
RussR
0 Kudos

This really isn't as big a deal as it sounds.  I was a little freaked out at first, as well, but as it turns out, you don't lose any settings or content.  Plus, B&N just needs the Nook to be the same as the website.  It doesn't make you confirm the old email address. You change your email address on the website back to what you have set currently on your Nook.  Unregister your Nook (remember, you're not going to lose anything here).  Once the Nook is unregistered, change your email address on the B&N website to what your NEW email address is.  Once that's done, you can re-register your Nook with the new email address.  No content lost.  No settings lost.  Not a big deal at all.  Piece of cake.  Took me 2 minutes.... and that's only because I type slow.  :-)

Good luck!

-Russ

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RussR wrote:

Unregister your Nook (remember, you're not going to lose anything here).

You'll lose your bookmarks, highlights, notes, current reading position in all e-books, and (with 1.5) your shelves. You'll lose various personalization options, remembered Wi-Fi hotspots, remembered unlock keys for e-books, and your list of contacts. See pages 67-68 of the 1.5 manual.

Reader
ilikeorange
0 Kudos

Wow - THAT is a terrible system.  You'd think B&N would want to make it as easy as possible for people to purchase books on their nook.  Instead, I now need to change my official email on this site, then un-register my nook, then change it back to my current email and THEN register my nook again?  What is this, the 90's?  Sorry - this is really irritating.

Contributor
Tie-Dyed_Druid
0 Kudos

RussR said:

This really isn't as big a deal as it sounds.  I was a little freaked out at first, as well, but as it turns out, you don't lose any settings or content. 

Because of a spelling snafu (my fat fingers!) I had my Nook registered to a bogus account. So Tech support had me un-register the Nook, which he said WOULD ERASE all the notes etc and music I have loaded onto it. A pain, but do-able.

My books were SUPPOSED to get schlepped from my old account to my new one. This did NOT happen.

The latest go-round with tech support, they said it would be 24-48 hours before I would have my books back, and that I will have to re-subscribe to my magazines.

I can't be the only one who has had to change email addys !!! the more I think about this, having worked in IT myself, the more bogus and bad their procedures sound !

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ilikeorange wrote:

Wow - THAT is a terrible system.  You'd think B&N would want to make it as easy as possible for people to purchase books on their nook.  Instead, I now need to change my official email on this site, then un-register my nook, then change it back to my current email and THEN register my nook again?  What is this, the 90's?  Sorry - this is really irritating.

I believe I read somewhere that this procedure is designed to stop someone who steals/finds your Nook from registering to their own account and using it.  I don't know if that's true, I read it somewhere on these boards  at one time.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 598 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: