Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Charging the Nook w/other chargers

I am wondering what kind of charger can I use to plug my Nook into the mains to charge it that way if I don't have the wall plug for the Nook?  I have to list: 1) a Flip Ultra adapter with a red light that I also use to charge my Archos 5 Internet Tablet, 2) a charger that goes with my Blackberry Tour, 3) a charger for the Flip Mino HD from Flip.

DJ

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: Charging the Nook w/other chargers

As long as they have the USB micro connector, any should work.  The BlackBerry will definitely work. 

That said, there are some chargers for low power devices like Bluetooth headsets which might not put out enough current to charge correctly, but a higher current cell phone charger or tablet charger will work just fine.   (USB defines "load units" as increments of 100 milliAmps -- some things like the Bluetooth headsets only draw 1 load unit, so their chargers are sized appropriately.  Cell phones and tablets will draw much more current and their chargers can provide at least the maximum 5 load units -- you can use the more powerful unit to charge a less powerful device, but not the other way around.)

You can also charge from a computer's USB port (computers are type A USB hosts and therefore provide voltage to any downstream device -- whereas cellphones are type B devices and do not provide voltage). 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

DJ_Boxer wrote:

I am wondering what kind of charger can I use to plug my Nook into the mains to charge it that way if I don't have the wall plug for the Nook?  I have to list: 1) a Flip Ultra adapter with a red light that I also use to charge my Archos 5 Internet Tablet, 2) a charger that goes with my Blackberry Tour, 3) a charger for the Flip Mino HD from Flip.

DJ

Was your adapter defective?  If so, B&N will replace it at no charge.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Actually, I put forth the question because I have the USB Cable but not the Mains Charger with me at the time.  I just put an order through for another one to be delivered to me.  The original works fine, I just had to remember to bring it with me.

DJ

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

As long as they have the USB micro connector, any should work.  The BlackBerry will definitely work. 

That said, there are some chargers for low power devices like Bluetooth headsets which might not put out enough current to charge correctly, but a higher current cell phone charger or tablet charger will work just fine.   (USB defines "load units" as increments of 100 milliAmps -- some things like the Bluetooth headsets only draw 1 load unit, so their chargers are sized appropriately.  Cell phones and tablets will draw much more current and their chargers can provide at least the maximum 5 load units -- you can use the more powerful unit to charge a less powerful device, but not the other way around.)

You can also charge from a computer's USB port (computers are type A USB hosts and therefore provide voltage to any downstream device -- whereas cellphones are type B devices and do not provide voltage). 

Thanks for the info, but to also let you know that I have several compatible USB Cables with me including the Nook one, but was wondering what ones I could use since I forgot mine.  I as stated in my other reply that I just purchased an other one so I would always have one with me.

DJ

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

DJ_Boxer wrote:

Actually, I put forth the question because I have the USB Cable but not the Mains Charger with me at the time.  I just put an order through for another one to be delivered to me.  The original works fine, I just had to remember to bring it with me.

DJ

Ah, the dread "User Error"!  LOL  Glad the problem is only temporary.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't sure if using a more powerful unit would damage the nook

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Iphone chargers, HTC smart phone chargers all seem to work.

As does the run of the mill car charger that has a USB jack output. Almost any USB jack you find on any device like a computer will work fine too.

Walk into any Radio Shack or similar store and you can find replacement chargers.  Some B&N stores carry them as well, as do almost any large computer retailer.  Almost all of these charge at 500ma, where as the nook charger supplies 850ma, so charging will be no faster than charging from your laptop.

Iphone charger puts out 1000ma, but is wired such that the nook may only be able to obtain 500ma out of it.  Its hard to know just what amperage the nook can draw from that charger.

USB is defined as 5 volts.  Amperage varies, but the nook will never pull more than it can handle from the charger. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I actually use my Blackberry Tour charger for my nook all the time. It works fine.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 642 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: