Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MonkeyJoe
0 Kudos

Collections?

Hi, I am new here. I am going to buy a Nook, the Wi-Fi edition (I like the Nook better than the Kindle because it has a user replaceable battery and can use a expantion card).  I have a ton of e-books I downloaded on the web in ePub editions from web sites offering them for free. What I would like to do is put them all on my Nook and arange them in collections, i.e all the Sci-Fi in one folder, all the Fantasy in another, ect. Can this be done on the Nook? How? It would make things much easier to find if I could do this.

I hope I'm not asking a silly n00b question.

Thanks  :smileyhappy:

MonkeyJoe

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Collections?

MonkeyJoe wrote:

Hi, I am new here. I am going to buy a Nook, the Wi-Fi edition (I like the Nook better than the Kindle because it has a user replaceable battery and can use a expantion card).  I have a ton of e-books I downloaded on the web in ePub editions from web sites offering them for free. What I would like to do is put them all on my Nook and arange them in collections, i.e all the Sci-Fi in one folder, all the Fantasy in another, ect. Can this be done on the Nook? How? It would make things much easier to find if I could do this.

I hope I'm not asking a silly n00b question.

Thanks  :smileyhappy:

MonkeyJoe

Not a silly n00b question, but unfortunately, the answer is no, not at this time.  This is one thing that almost everyone is really waiting for, hopefully in the next update.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Yes, somewhere in my research before buying my Nook, I thought that Nook supported 'folders' in which I could organize my eBooks into personal collections that would show up on my Nook library screen.  You say this may be possible with the next update?  Any idea when this might happen?

One reason I bought the Nook was the possibility of updates.  I applaud B&N for listening to Nook owners and making improvements.  Thank you, B&N!

New User
MonkeyJoe
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answers. I'm still going to buy a Nook, and you guys saved me a few hour's frustration, trying to find a feature that didn't exist yet  :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Yes, somewhere in my research before buying my Nook, I thought that Nook supported 'folders' in which I could organize my eBooks into personal collections that would show up on my Nook library screen.  You say this may be possible with the next update?  Any idea when this might happen?

No, I said we all want it to happen in the next update.  Of course we wanted it to happen in the last two updates, so there's no telling. I'm sure they are very aware of the desire for this feature.

One reason I bought the Nook was the possibility of updates.  I applaud B&N for listening to Nook owners and making improvements.  Thank you, B&N!

Contributor
itsme2
0 Kudos

Nope, not yet although ....

If you install nookdev (replaces the firmware so not a B&N option but kind of hack) you get

-a library manager that supports authors but also tags, these tags could be supplied by calibre (which I recommend anyway!!!, it's just a program on your PC with nook (original nook and softrooted nook) support)

- a file manager so you can browse your sd-card(s) by folder

-and some more ...

I guess that tag-support is a good candidate for the next offical Nook software.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

itsme2 wrote:

Nope, not yet although ....

If you install nookdev (replaces the firmware so not a B&N option but kind of hack) you get

-a library manager that supports authors but also tags, these tags could be supplied by calibre (which I recommend anyway!!!, it's just a program on your PC with nook (original nook and softrooted nook) support)

- a file manager so you can browse your sd-card(s) by folder

-and some more ...

I guess that tag-support is a good candidate for the next offical Nook software.

Yes, "kind of a hack".  It will also void your warranty, per B&N.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 76 members 645 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: