Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Configuring various Wi-Fi routers - please, no OT

This thread is for information on how to configure various Wi-Fi routers to work with NOOK. Please post information you might have, but let's try to keep this on-topic.

Doug_Pardee

NetGear WNR2000v2 configuration for NOOK

[ Edited ]

To log into your WNR2000v2, open a Web browser on a computer that's connected to your router and go to http://192.168.1.1/ — the default username is admin and the default password is password.

----

In the left-hand column, in the Setup box, click Wireless Settings.

The first data item is the SSID. This is the name of your Wi-Fi network. If it still says 'NETGEAR', change it to something different—but be aware that you'll need to reconnect all of your current Wi-Fi devices using the new SSID. That's a pain in the behind, but using the default SSID will cause you lots of connection grief if someone else installs a Wi-Fi router with the default SSID, because your devices won't be able to tell them apart. Write down your SSID, being careful to distinguish capital letters from small letters, so you'll know what it is.

The rest of the information on the page is about wireless security. This is very important. First, write down which of the choices is selected:

• none
  • WEP
  • WPA-PSK[TKIP]
  • WPA2-PSK[AES]
  • WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]

I say to write this down just in case you run into more trouble and need to ask someone for help.

If 'none' is selected: you have no security on your Wi-Fi. Anyone can use your Internet connection, and anyone can listen in if they're in range. If you send unencrypted passwords, email, etc., they could see what you send. Most public Wi-Fi systems (McDonald's, Starbucks, B&N, etc.) have no security.

If 'WEP' is selected: the WEP security system is a weak system, easily cracked by knowledgeable hackers. However, many older wireless devices and some of the cheapest new wireless devices can't handle anything better than WEP. This isn't a good situation, but you work with what you've got.

• Authentication type should be set to Automatic. Do not set it to 'Shared'; this won't work with NOOK. Automatic should work with any WEP-capable devices. If it's set to 'Shared', change it to 'Automatic'—this shouldn't affect any of your current Wi-Fi devices.
  • Passphrase is not important. It is not your network's access key. Ignore it.
  • Key 1 is the access key for your network. Write it down. It will be either 10 or 26 characters,  containing only the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. You will definitely need this key in order to connect your NOOK or any other Wi-Fi device to your router. There's no reason to change this, and if you do change it you'll have to go back and reconnect your other Wi-Fi devices.

If any of the three 'WPA' choices is selected: WPA and WPA2 are both good security systems for Wi-Fi. WPA2 is very slightly better than WPA, but both are good.

• Passphrase is the access key for your network. Write it down, being careful to distinguish capital letters and small letters. You'll definitely need this key in order to connect your NOOK or any other Wi-Fi device to your router. Don't change this unless you're prepared to go back and reconnect your other Wi-Fi devices. Unfortunately, there are some punctuation marks that you can't enter on the NOOK keyboard, and if your WPA passphrase contains one of those you may need to change the passphrase in order to connect your NOOK.

If you've made any changes, click the Apply button.

----

In the left-hand column, in the Advanced box, click Wireless Settings.

Enable Wireless Radio should be checked. Otherwise, your Wi-Fi isn't on the air.

Enable SSID Broadcast should be checked. Otherwise, your NOOK won't see your network. You could type in your SSID, but that's a pain in the behind that you don't need. There's no reason not to enable SSID broadcast.

If you had to check either of the boxes mentioned above, click the Apply button.

Wireless Card Access List - click this button to bring up what's normally called MAC Filtering.

• Turn Access Control On should be unchecked. If it's checked, only the devices listed below it can use your Wi-Fi. If your NOOK isn't in the list, you can't connect your NOOK. Bad ju-ju, huh?
  • If you had to uncheck the box above, click the Apply button. Otherwise click the Cancel button.

It's possible to add your NOOK to the MAC Filtering list and then turn MAC Filtering back on. But that's beyond the scope of this posting. I will, however, mention that your NOOK's MAC address is listed in its Settings screen—on page 2 if it's a NOOK 3G.

----

In the left-hand column, still in the Advanced box, click LAN Setup.

Use Router as DHCP Server should be checked. If not, check it and click the Apply button.

----

You should now be able to connect your NOOK using the SSID and the access key that you wrote down.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

LinkSys WRT54G (v2) configuration for NOOK

To log into your WRT54G, open a Web browser on a computer that's connected to your router and go to http://192.168.1.1/ — the default username is admin and the default password is blank (leave the field empty).

----

In the Setup tab, Basic Setup subtab:

DHCP Server should be set to Enable.

If you had to change this setting, be sure to click the Save Settings button.

----

In the Wireless tab, Basic Wireless Settings subtab:

The first data item is Wireless Network Mode. For reasonable performance, this should be set to either Mixed or G-Only. You should be able to connect your NOOK even if it's set to B-Only, but that would be a very unusual setting and would give slower networking.

Wireless Network Name (SSID) is the name of your Wi-Fi network. If it still says 'linksys', change it to something different—but be aware that you'll need to reconnect all of your current Wi-Fi devices using the new SSID. That's a pain in the behind, but using the default SSID will cause you lots of connection grief if someone else installs a Wi-Fi router with the default SSID, because your devices won't be able to tell them apart. Write down your SSID, being careful to distinguish capital letters from small letters, so you'll know what it is.

Wireless SSID Broadcast should be set to Enable. Otherwise, your NOOK won't see your network. You could type in your SSID, but that's a pain in the behind that you don't need. There's no reason not to enable SSID broadcast.

If you had to make any changes to these settings, be sure to click the Save Settings button.

----

In the Wireless tab, Wireless Security subtab:

Security Mode: write down which of the choices is selected:

• Disable
  • WPA Pre-Shared Key
  • WPA RADIUS
  • RADIUS
  • WEP

I say to write this down just in case you run into more trouble and need to ask someone for help.

If 'Disable' is selected: you have no security on your Wi-Fi. Anyone can use your Internet connection, and anyone can listen in if they're in range. If you send unencrypted passwords, email, etc., they could see what you send. Most public Wi-Fi systems (McDonald's, Starbucks, B&N, etc.) have no security.

If either 'RADIUS' choice is selected: these settings are used for large organizations with stringent security requirements and a dedicated authentication server. Your NOOK cannot connect if either of these settings is used. You almost certainly don't want to be using either of these for a home system.

If the 'WPA Pre-Shared Key' choice is selected: WPA offers good security for Wi-Fi and is the best of these choices for home use.

• WPA Algorithms should be set to TKIP. This is the normal setting for WPA. I don't know if your NOOK will connect if you set it to AES, which is normally used with WPA2 rather than WPA.
  • WPA Shared Key is the access key for your network. Write it down, being careful to distinguish capital letters and small letters. You'll definitely need this key in order to connect your NOOK or any other Wi-Fi device to your router. Don't change this unless you're prepared to go back and reconnect your other Wi-Fi devices. Unfortunately, there are some punctuation marks that you can't enter on the NOOK keyboard, and if your WPA passphrase contains one of those you may need to change the passphrase in order to connect your NOOK.

If 'WEP' is selected: the WEP security system is a weak system, easily cracked by knowledgeable hackers. However, many older wireless devices and some of the cheapest new wireless devices can't handle anything better than WEP. This isn't a good situation, but you work with what you've got.

• Default Transmit Key should be set to 1.
  • Key 1 is the access key for your network. Write it down. It will be either 10 or 26 characters,  containing only the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. You will definitely need this key in order to connect your NOOK or any other Wi-Fi device to your router. There's no reason to change this, and if you do change it you'll have to go back and reconnect your other Wi-Fi devices.

If you had to make any changes to these settings, be sure to click the Save Settings button. Any changes in this section will also require that your existing Wi-Fi devices be reconnected.

----

In the Wireless tab, Wireless MAC Filter subtab:

• Wireless MAC Filter should be set to Disable. If it's enabled and set to Permit only mode, only the devices listed on the MAC Filter List can use your Wi-Fi. If your NOOK isn't in the list, you can't connect your NOOK. Bad ju-ju, huh?

If you had to change this setting, be sure to click the Save Settings button. Changing this should not require your current Wi-Fi devices to reconnect.

It's possible to add your NOOK to the MAC Filtering list and then turn MAC Filtering back on. But that's beyond the scope of this posting. I will, however, mention that your NOOK's MAC address is listed in its Settings screen—on page 2 if it's a NOOK 3G.

----

In the Wireless tab, Advanced Wireless Settings subtab:

• Authentication Type should be set to Auto. Do not set it to 'Shared Key'; this won't work with NOOK. Auto should work with any WEP-capable devices. If it's set to 'Shared Key', change it to 'Auto'—this shouldn't affect any of your current Wi-Fi devices.

If you had to change this setting, be sure to click the Save Settings button. Changing this should not require your current Wi-Fi devices to reconnect.

----

You should now be able to connect your NOOK using the SSID and the access key that you wrote down.

New User
JayTex
0 Kudos

Re: LinkSys WRT54G (v2) configuration for NOOK

Thanks for this information I had beed working on getting connected for a couple of hours and Nook support was not able to help me.

This was the line that solved my problem:

Authentication Type should be set to Auto. Do not set it to 'Shared Key'; this won't work with NOOK.

Thanks again, i am on line and working.

New User
CL_NJ
0 Kudos

My Linksys WRT54G (model 6) did not offer me the Authentication Type of "Auto" with it's ver 1 firmware.  I could not connect with WEP/WPA/WPA2 nor even with security shut off.  After updating my router to the latest firmware from Linksys (ver 2.1), my wife's nook was able to connect using WPA. 

Still no "Auto" on Authentication Type, but that may just be the version of my router and firmware it is using (3 year old router).

New User
shadow5275
0 Kudos

This was EXTREMELY helpful thank you so much for your knowledge.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

NetGear WNR2000v2 configuration for NOOK (updated)

To log into your WNR2000v2, open a Web browser on a computer that's connected to your router and go to http://192.168.1.1/ — the default username is admin and the default password is password.

----

In the left-hand column, in the Setup box, click Wireless Settings.

The first data item is the SSID. This is the name of your Wi-Fi network. If it still says 'NETGEAR', change it to something different—but be aware that you'll need to reconnect all of your current Wi-Fi devices using the new SSID. That's a pain in the behind, but using the default SSID will cause you lots of connection grief if someone else installs a Wi-Fi router with the default SSID, because your devices won't be able to tell them apart. Write down your SSID, being careful to distinguish capital letters from small letters, so you'll know what it is.

A bit below that is the Mode. Choose either "Up to 54 Mbps" or "Up to 145 Mbps". Don't choose "Up to 300 Mbps". Changing this won't affect your other Wi-Fi devices.

The rest of the information on the page is about wireless security. This is very important. First, write down which of the choices is selected:

• none
  • WEP
  • WPA-PSK[TKIP]
  • WPA2-PSK[AES]
  • WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]

If 'none' is selected: you have no security on your Wi-Fi. Anyone can use your Internet connection, and anyone can listen in if they're in range. If you send unencrypted passwords, email, etc., they could see what you send. Most public Wi-Fi systems (McDonald's, Starbucks, B&N, etc.) have no security.

• Authentication type should be set to Automatic. Do not set it to 'Shared'; this won't work with NOOK. Automatic should work with any WEP-capable devices. If it's set to 'Shared', change it to 'Automatic'—this shouldn't affect any of your current Wi-Fi devices.

If any of the three 'WPA' choices is selected: WPA and WPA2 are both good security systems for Wi-Fi. WPA2 is very slightly better than WPA, but both are good.

• Passphrase is the access key for your network. Write it down, being careful to distinguish capital letters and small letters. You'll definitely need this key in order to connect your NOOK or any other Wi-Fi device to your router. Don't change this unless you're prepared to go back and reconnect your other Wi-Fi devices. Unfortunately, there are some punctuation marks that you can't enter on the NOOK keyboard, and if your WPA passphrase contains one of those you may need to change the passphrase in order to connect your NOOK.

If you've made any changes, click the Apply button.

----

In the left-hand column, in the Advanced box, click Wireless Settings.

Enable Wireless Radio should be checked. Otherwise, your Wi-Fi isn't on the air.

Enable SSID Broadcast should be checked. Otherwise, your NOOK won't see your network. You could type in your SSID, but that's a pain in the behind that you don't need. There's no reason not to enable SSID broadcast.

If you had to check either of the boxes mentioned above, click the Apply button.

Wireless Card Access List - click this button to bring up what's normally called MAC Filtering.

• Turn Access Control On should be unchecked. If it's checked, only the devices listed below it can use your Wi-Fi. If your NOOK isn't in the list, you can't connect your NOOK. Bad ju-ju, huh?
  • If you had to uncheck the box above, click the Apply button. Otherwise click the Cancel button.

----

In the left-hand column, still in the Advanced box, click LAN Setup.

Use Router as DHCP Server should be checked. If not, check it and click the Apply button.

----

New User
Milliner
0 Kudos

Re: NetGear WNR2000v2 configuration for NOOK

I tried this recommendation but it did not help me.  My new Color Nook just keeps saying "Connected, but no internet."  Once or twice it has said "Connected, internet" and when I have tried to continue on to register the device it says "Network Problem: A network related error occurred.  You may have lost connectivity to the local wireless network..."  When I go back to try again, it says "Connected, but no internet" again...HELP!

New User
Milliner
0 Kudos

I tried this recommendation but it did not help me.  My new Color Nook just keeps saying "Connected, but no internet."  Once or twice it has said "Connected, internet" and when I have tried to continue on to register the device it says "Network Problem: A network related error occurred.  You may have lost connectivity to the local wireless network..."  When I go back to try again, it says "Connected, but no internet" again...HELP!

Frequent Contributor
Phoenix2637
0 Kudos

@Milliner

Have you tried connecting your Nook to other wifi, say from bn store? just to check if you really have a defective device?

Reader
KBinLDO

Re: Configuring various Wi-Fi routers - please, no OT

Someone suggested I post this here as well. 

Hooking up the Nook to 2Wire:

I thought I was doomed to a lifetime of updating my Nook in the McDonald's parking lot, but I got an answer from 2Wire about connecting my Nook to my home system. Here it is. I tried it & it worked!  The "password" is not the password you use to log into your2Wire account; it is the "key" referred to below.

All you need to do to connect any device to your 2Wire gateway wirelessly is to use your Nook network setup in Wireless mode to locate the SSID of your network and enter the WEP key when prompted. 

The SSID, or network name, will be 2WIRE###, where ### is the last three digits of the Serial Number, or SN, off the sticker on the HomePortal. 

However, you'll need the key in order to connect to the network, because the network is locked, or security enabled. The key is the ten digit number located between [square brackets] just a bit below the SN. If your client manager wants technical information, then it is a 64bit WEP hexadecimal key. 

New User
Takman
0 Kudos

Re: D-Link N300 configuration for NOOK

I'm having the same problem with my Nook Color.  It will connect with my router, but not to the internet.  It sometimes says "connected, testing" or "connected, no internet" and occasionally "connected to the internet", but when I try to log on to shop for books I get an error message indicating no internet connection.  When I check my wireless settings it indicates "connected, testing."  I am using a D-link N300 and their customer support tells me that it's working and in deed it does work for my Blackberry and my laptop without problems.  The Nook Color will connect to the internet via B&N sites and various local Wi Fi sites, but not with my home Wi Fi.  BTW, I just replaced an older NetGear G wireless router that presented similar problems.  Can someone help me out, please.

New User
Takman
0 Kudos

Re: D-Link N300 configuration for NOOK

I wanted to add that I have the updated Nook Color software installed (1.0.1).

New User
kiddoSB
0 Kudos

We have the Netgear WNR3500L router.

We are WEP and I have keyed in my key number so many times now, I have it almost memorized.

I still cannot connect my NOOK to our wifi.  I have a printer, IPOD touch and another computer attached to my wifi and all works fine. This doesn't make sense, can anyone help me?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

kiddoSB wrote:

We have the Netgear WNR3500L router.

We are WEP and I have keyed in my key number so many times now, I have it almost memorized.

I still cannot connect my NOOK to our wifi.  I have a printer, IPOD touch and another computer attached to my wifi and all works fine. This doesn't make sense, can anyone help me?

I would do the following:

1. go into the settings of the router and make sure that it is only using 802.11b/g - the nook doesn't like 80211.n

2. make sure that your "Authentication Type" is set to "open" - the nook won't work with "shared key" authentication

3. if MAC filtering is on then add your nook's MAC address to the allowed list

4. make sure the "Push 'N' Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS)" of your router is off

5. if set to disable, re-enable the SSID broadcast feature

6. reboot both the nook and router and try again.

Hope this helps . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
zelek
0 Kudos

Just purchased a NookColor and trying to connect to my wireless - 2wire.  I am not getting any sort of keyboard on which to type my password for the wireless.  Is there something I am supposed to have turned on to get said keyboard to go onto the internet?

Thanks in advance!

Reader
sg3594
0 Kudos

Having the same issues as most. Nook will not connect to my wi-fi.

New User
Takman
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I can now use my home wi fi after changing my router mode from "802.11n" to "802.11b/g"

Thanks again.

Reader
SEMPERFIPD
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the info. It took me a while to build up the courage but I finally got to the router website and all of the setting were as you denoted. I didn't have to change anything.

When I first registered I did connect but that was the only time. Now it searches for the IP address and then says unsuccessful and disconnected. During registration I don't remember being asked for an access key. I think it asked for a password and I may have answered incorrectly. It's not the NOOk because I can connect from my daughters house without a problem.

Can I try to register again without getting into more trouble? I really like this NOOCOLOR but not being as computer savvy as most of the folks on this board I'm kind of lost.

The only thing BN support told me was to enter the NOOK MAC address which I know you do not recommend.

Thanks again!

Contributor
ManoloMama
0 Kudos

Hi Doug!

I have a WRT54G2 v1.5 and have serious issues getting my Nook to actually USE my WiFi.  It finds the connection and "connects" to it, but doesn't seem to use it.  I can't do any internet based activity.  I've tried every suggestion I can find on these boards and have been working with Linksys to the point that even they gave up.  My router is set up exactly as you have detailed here, using WPA security.  I even tried to get thru to bn.com using NO security and the Nook STILL wouldn't use the connection.  I literally am at wit's end with this thing and Nook technical service is useless.  Any suggestions?  This is my second Nook....the first one didn't work, so B&N switched it out for me.  This one is doing the same thing.

Here's my thread so you can see all I've tried:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Can-t-Use-WiFi-on-My-New-Nook-have-I-t...

Thanks!

Barb

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 303 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: