Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Jfwhite6
0 Kudos

Connect USB and Nook drive doesn't show up on computer.

I have tried two different computers but Neither one has recognized my Nook.  I've tried other devices cameras, etc.. and they load fine.  So i don't believe the problem is with the computers or hardware.  I'll take any ideas you can give.   

New User
RPat
0 Kudos

Re: Connect USB and Nook drive doesn't show up on computer.

I just started having this problem this afternoon.  I have owned the nookcolor for about three weeks and have not had a moments trouble until this evening.  I've read a couple of books that I transfered from my extensive e-book collection and I want to remove those books that I have read.

I have also found that the screen orientation "feature" does not work with the native .epub format.

Have had no problems reading .pdf, .doc, .html or .txt files.

I just disconnected the transfer cable again to test and the screen shows the battery charging icon.  I've tried this on three different computers, two running XP and on running Vista.  Same problem.

I have also gone into device manager and uninstalled the usb drivers and resarted the computer.  Nothing seems to work!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Your nook, or nook color must be turned on, not just in a semi-awake state.

Jfwhite6 wrote:

I have tried two different computers but Neither one has recognized my Nook.  I've tried other devices cameras, etc.. and they load fine.  So i don't believe the problem is with the computers or hardware.  I'll take any ideas you can give.   

---------
Don
Contributor
muppet
0 Kudos

Whether the nook is awake or not doesn't matter at all.  My nook won't show up as a drive on my Windows XP machine at work (but it still insists on being ejected if I'd like to read while I charge, making it useless) but it DOES show up on my Mac at home.  I don't do anything differently between the two computers and the nook is USUALLY asleep when I plug it in.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

muppet wrote:

Whether the nook is awake or not doesn't matter at all.  My nook won't show up as a drive on my Windows XP machine  .

Ah, XP.  There's your problem, there is a know tendency for XP to have this problem from time to time.

Reboot the computer.  If that fails make sure it is up to date will ALL microsoft patches and updates.

New User
nicoleae
0 Kudos

I just pluged my nook up to my computer and the light comes on and all but my computer is not showing that it is there. I asked my husband why and he said I had to download drivers from the barnes and Noble website. I've looked every were and cant figure were or how to find the drivers. Does anyone know what to do?

Contributor
muppet
0 Kudos

There aren't any nook drivers, it's a simple USB storage device.  There also should be no reason to make sure that "ALL XP patches and updates are applied" for the same reason.  USB storage is as simple as a keyboard or a mouse at this point in the game.  Not to mention, at work I have no control over the patch level on my XP PC.  90% of the time when support people tell you to make sure that you've applied every patch there is, they're buying time to not have to deal with you.  I ought to know.  ;-)

No, the nook has some bug, probably in the Android OS, that's causing this issue to occur.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

muppet wrote:

There aren't any nook drivers, it's a simple USB storage device.  There also should be no reason to make sure that "ALL XP patches and updates are applied" for the same reason.  USB storage is as simple as a keyboard or a mouse at this point in the game.  Not to mention, at work I have no control over the patch level on my XP PC.  90% of the time when support people tell you to make sure that you've applied every patch there is, they're buying time to not have to deal with you.  I ought to know.  ;-)

No, the nook has some bug, probably in the Android OS, that's causing this issue to occur.

Actually your assumption that the NOOK is the problem is a little premature.

I have had PCs refuse to recognize many different USB storage devices, from BluDisc drives to flash (thumb) drives. Windows can be very picky, especially the latter versions, not to mention that Microsoft ignores standards as it pleases.

Contributor
muppet
0 Kudos

Larry I can use thumb drives of both excellent and dubious quality with impunity.  It's only my nook that doesn't work.  My iPod, iPhone, even my Motrola Nextel phone, of all things, work fine on my XP machine at work.

Windows isn't my OS of choice, either, but the nook is clearly doing something that causes XP to flake out.  Android isn't fully baked yet in a lot of ways and that's just objective fact.  A USB handshake isn't a very complex thing.  If it were running over Bluetooth I'd be more apt to blame Windows.

Contributor
muppet
0 Kudos

Of course this discussion, and indeed even contacting B&N support, is moot, because Barnes & Noble's support of this device is ABYSMAL.  They are busy releasing new products in the line while ADVERTISED FEATURES on the first generation device remain broken.  I much prefer the aesthetics and overall feel and usability of the nook over the kindle, but Amazon is just embarrassing Barnes & Noble over supporting their own device.  I've owned my first gen nook for what, two years now, paying full release price, and I STILL can't synch the last page read in my books from my nook to the nook iPhone app and back again (it synchs from nook to app but not from app to nook).  Barnes & Noble tries to pretend that this is a limitation imposed by Apple, but strangely the Kindle app works fine.

When my nook wears out, I'll reluctantly be buying a Kindle and losing all of my purchased content, because while at launch the nook was a superior device, Barnes & Noble isn't bothering to support it in any meaningful way.  They treat ebook customers as a necessary evil and as something to be minimally catered to, then ignored.

See any official response on this thread, or any of the other recent threads mentioning long standing and unresolved issues?  Of course not.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Have you tried turning the nook completely off?  and then back on and trying?

Have you tried a re-boot of the nook?

New User
zagsgrad03
0 Kudos

I had the exact same problem. It was fixed when I manually removed the battery, waited for a few minutes and reinstalled battery. 

New User
deeanne29
0 Kudos

Yup.  I had the same problems as others here the third time I connected my NC to my desktop.  After getting a replacing the NC USB cord, it still isn't working.  So, I'm thinking it is an issue with the device, which is highly disappointing.  :smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

deeanne29 wrote:

Yup.  I had the same problems as others here the third time I connected my NC to my desktop.  After getting a replacing the NC USB cord, it still isn't working.  So, I'm thinking it is an issue with the device, which is highly disappointing.  :smileysad:

When you disconnected the Nook the first two times, did you properly eject the Nook?  Sometimes simply disconnecting the device without ejecting first will cause problems with connect later.  I believe somewhere on the boards someone had an some steps you could try on the computer to get it to recognize it.   

You can use any micro USB cable, it doesn't have to be the one that came with the Nook.

Also, can you try connecting it another computer and see if that computer recognizes it?  That would help determine if the problem is the device or the computer.

New User
GeorgeTabs
0 Kudos

I encountered the exact same problem (Nook Simple Touch), and nothing seemed to work for me.I am using Win7 64bit. I could see the SD card normally, but the internal memory wasn't appearing on my PC at all.

Finally by searching in the computer's devices I realized there was actually no problem with the PC "seeing" the nook itself, but the PC was assigning to it a drive letter (I:\ in my case) that was already used on a mapped network drive I have. By changing the drive letter everything worked fine. :smileyhappy:

New User
nana23MA
0 Kudos

ty don, tried for 3 days to get book on nook,nook was on comp. ade was fine just would not recognize either.I realized nook was off after your comment turned it on and suddenly was recognized ty ty so much

New User
SquireH
0 Kudos

Problem Fixed for me, Simple Solution

Specifics of my problem with Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight:

-Nook started acting funny after I used a new HCSD card.

-Nook was not recognized by 2 different computers when tethered by USB adaptor.

-Nook recognized it was connected to the computer, and it charged by the USB adaptor when tethered to the computer.

-When the micro SD card was in the Nook, the computer recognized the card in the Nook.

-In Device Manager, the Nook was listed as a Portable Device (Windows 7).  Uninstall, updating drivers did not help.

-Turning off the computer did not help.

-In "Device Info" on the Nook, the internal memory (250 MB for non-Nook Books) would not show.

-All my non-B&N books were gone, and shelves were empty.

-When I tried to open a book, the book I chose would not be opened, but some other book I had. Every book I tried to open, opened that same book.  e.g. I click Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter opens, I click The Three Musketteers and Harry Potter opens, etc.

The Fix:

I completely turned off the Nook.  To do this, you simply press and hold the back power button until the screen goes completely blank.  Another screen will come up with the Nook logo, and it will say You're Nook is completely off.  I waited a minute, then turned it back on.  All problems mentioned above were completely fixed.  The only thing that changed was my shelves were empty still, so I had to put the books I previously had on my shelves back on them. 

I hope this helps someone out there.  I didn't know how to completely turn off the Nook.  My problem sounds like many others'.  I think the cause of the problem had something to do with not properly putting in the micro SD card (do you have to turn off the Nook before you put the SD card in it to avoid these problems?), but that is a topic for another forum. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Problem Fixed for me, Simple Solution

SquireH wrote:

Specifics of my problem with Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight:

-Nook started acting funny after I used a new HCSD card.

-Nook was not recognized by 2 different computers when tethered by USB adaptor.

-Nook recognized it was connected to the computer, and it charged by the USB adaptor when tethered to the computer.

-When the micro SD card was in the Nook, the computer recognized the card in the Nook.

-In Device Manager, the Nook was listed as a Portable Device (Windows 7).  Uninstall, updating drivers did not help.

-Turning off the computer did not help.

-In "Device Info" on the Nook, the internal memory (250 MB for non-Nook Books) would not show.

-All my non-B&N books were gone, and shelves were empty.

-When I tried to open a book, the book I chose would not be opened, but some other book I had. Every book I tried to open, opened that same book.  e.g. I click Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter opens, I click The Three Musketteers and Harry Potter opens, etc.

The Fix:

I completely turned off the Nook.  To do this, you simply press and hold the back power button until the screen goes completely blank.  Another screen will come up with the Nook logo, and it will say You're Nook is completely off.  I waited a minute, then turned it back on.  All problems mentioned above were completely fixed.  The only thing that changed was my shelves were empty still, so I had to put the books I previously had on my shelves back on them. 

I hope this helps someone out there.  I didn't know how to completely turn off the Nook.  My problem sounds like many others'.  I think the cause of the problem had something to do with not properly putting in the micro SD card (do you have to turn off the Nook before you put the SD card in it to avoid these problems?), but that is a topic for another forum. 

Yes you should always turn off electronic devices when installing or removing the sim card.

New User
confi_per
0 Kudos

Re: Problem Fixed for me, Simple Solution

[ Edited ]

:smileyhappy: Thanks so much :smileyhappy: It works.

My problem: The NOOK disk wasn´t showed in My Computer using its USB cable.

Solution: As you commented I left completely off my NOOK for several minutes. After that, I switched on it and all was OK.

(Not opening the NOOK to take out the battery like me and my girlfriend and try first the lines above :manwink:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 281 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: