Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jhendr15
0 Kudos

Connection issues/ Belkin router

Just got a nook wifi. Works fine at B and N. But at home when I try to connect to my home wifi it just sits there saying it is trying to connect. Finally brings up a message that says Sorry!Activity Setting (in application settings) is not responding.

I turn it off then back on and when I try to access setting or wifi it brings up the same message. The only way to get back into them is to do a factory reset. I am working on a belkin router that is 802.11g and 802.11b. I have disabled mac address control. Took it to back to B and N. They gave me a new nook but the new one is doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Connection issues/ Belkin router

@jhendr15

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Is your Nook able to find your router's SSID?

Are any devices working successfully on your router?

How many devices do you have connecting to your router, and is the number of DHCP users authorized equal to or higher than that number of devices, plus your Nook?

What security settings are you using on your router?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
jhendr15
0 Kudos

My nook is able to find my router's ssid. My laptop is working fine on it. I have had multiple laptops running on this router at once but am currently only using one. So I don't think that I have too many DHCP users. My current security settings is set up as a WPA-PSK. I have disabled mac address control. I have tried it with mac address control by manually adding the Mac address of the nook. I have also tried to disable my firewall and security settings but neither seemed to help.

ABthree

[ Edited ]

jhendr15 wrote:

My nook is able to find my router's ssid. My laptop is working fine on it. I have had multiple laptops running on this router at once but am currently only using one. So I don't think that I have too many DHCP users. My current security settings is set up as a WPA-PSK. I have disabled mac address control. I have tried it with mac address control by manually adding the Mac address of the nook. I have also tried to disable my firewall and security settings but neither seemed to help.

Check out this post by Doug_Pardee and see whether it helps:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Wi-Fi-WPA-Key-Length-Issue/m-p/781092#...

If that doesn't address the problem, please provide more information if you can.

*ETA*  Also, see this thread for other ideas:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-plea...

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
jhendr15
0 Kudos

It works!!! After a week of frustration and learning more than I care to know about routers, it finally works. Thanks... The whole problem was centered around the fact that I needed to update the firmware on my router.  But at least I can say I now know the difference between WEP and WPA.

Thanks again.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Great news!

Glad that you're up and running.  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
JCrooks
0 Kudos

I have a Belkin N1 router which is several years old.  When the Nook color upgrade occurred I lost connectivity to it and was unable to regain it.  Ultimately B&N replaced the unit because I started having severe connectivity problems at B&N stores.  Everywhere I had used the Nook after the software change it worked fine.  Replacement Nook has the same issue, it can see the network, I registered the SSID and the password.  Problem is it never picks up the IP address to connect.  Checking with Belkin they told me there is a new firmware update for the router.  I have it downloaded for installation tonight when I have the time so this may solve the problem.  I am stopping at a B&N store to complete the registration of the new Nook.  I hope the firmware solves the problem because I do like the Nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 763 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: