Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
worldbook
0 Kudos

Conserving Power

Is this something new? My Nook turned itself off. A message said that it turned off to conserve power. When I checked the settings, there was 34% left. Did 1.5 add this feature, or was it there all along and I perhaps I never let the power get this low? Anyhow, I like that this happened.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Conserving Power

Yup - new feature in the 1.5 update.  If you let your nook sleep for about 72 hours (or thereabouts) it will automatically shut off to conserve battery power.  It's mentioned in the user guide - see page 17.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Its a new feature to protect the battery from total exhaustion, which often requires battery removal.

So its a good thing.  

Thanks for testing that out for us, I just haven't had 72 hours of no nook use to test this. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

Not a good thing to all, I'm afraid.  I don't want my nook shutting down except when I do it.  I don't want to spend my time waiting for it to restart.  I hate this part of the upgrade, and I think they should give users a choice as to how long it takes to shut down and the ability to opt out of the shut down if they desire to do so.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Oh for Pete sake! It only happens after that 72 hours of sitting unused. How important can it be if you haven't used it in 72 hours? Would you rather have it exhaust it's battery and have to wait two hours while it charges? If you can't find five seconds to hit the wake up button in three days the nook assumes you are too busy to charge it and protects itself. If waiting two minutes for it to reboot after three days of neglect is a burden you probably don't have time to read then either.
Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

Jeez icebike did someone run over your cat this morning?  Take a chill - we're expressing opinions here not attacking each other.  RELAX.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Me chill?

You're the one posting HATE about this feature.

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Thanks for testing that out for us, I just haven't had 72 hours of no nook use to test this. :smileyhappy:

I had no idea because, like icebike, I've only had 72 hours of no nook once in the past year. It would have probably taken me another year to notice this feature. I'm glad that this was posted since I would have wondered what was going on.

I think it is a good idea since there seem to be all kinds of problems if the battery is run completely out. I've not yet experienced this either because I recharge at 20% due to all the posts I've read about letting the battery run out. I usually let my nook go to less than 20% about once every five or six weeks just to make sure that I'm giving it a chance to reset the battery for optimal performance, but other than that, I just read and enjoy.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 619 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: