Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ebk_Fanatic
0 Kudos

Creating Folders on the Nook

Hi! I recently bought my nook ereader after seeing a demo in a BN store. Talking to the young man at the kiosk he touched on the subject of creating folders. I tried this as a test and it worked ok. My question is: why can't I see the folders the ebooks are placed in and then make a choice on what I wish to read.  I tried this twice and maybe I got the wrong idea. I felt this would be a good way of keeping track of the many authors I follow and those books I have finished reading but want to keep and possibly re-read later. I placed the folders in MY DOCUMENTS as the instructions show. Is there a specific way to name them - I choose to name them after the authors.

If this is not the way it was supposed to be used could this be a new feature. It makes it much easier for me to say choose TJONES as the folder which contains all of the books I wish to look through and get the one I want. I could use the search feature, but my fingers are still a little clumsy in typing to use this all the time.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
0 Kudos

Re: Creating Folders on the Nook

AFAIK, the Nook does NOT respect folders in the "My Documents" section.

This is on my wish list, however.  In order to compete with the Kindle (which sells a lot more), they have to be on top of their game and make sure that the firmware is polished.  I am hopeful that we will see this added in the coming months.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You can create folders, and the nook will index all the books in all the folders, but it will not present (show you) the folder structure in this version of the software.

The folders are still useful for keeping things organized on the nook, and someday they will probably be made visible on the nook screen as a sorting feature.

B&N simply used the normal Android "flat presentation" model for this, which is the same thing Android phones do for images or music stored on an android phone.  

Everybody hates it. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Everybody hates it. 

I think I saw one guy on here say that he liked it the way it is.  :smileyvery-happy:

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

icebike wrote:

Everybody hates it. 

I think I saw one guy on here say that he liked it the way it is.  :smileyvery-happy:

@Ozman69

I don't think it was me, but I don't hate it. I don't care.  I've got 207 books on my Nook, and don't feel that the current org options put me at any inconvenience.  But I'll be happy for the people who DO care when B&N introduces more functionality.  Guess I'd rather see that than more games.

And think how much more quickly we'll be able to scan the board updates, when people stop whining about file managment! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

Harrkev wrote:

AFAIK

We're writing to each other here, not texting ... as far as I know. :smileywink:
Please take the time to type the extra letters.  It'll make your new friends happy.
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

So wait...we can create folders and place books in each, for instance the sookie stackhouse series. I also have the full rizzoli & isles books. So that would be two sep sub-folders.  How would they get sorted? Sorry if it sounds dumb, I can't quite wrap my mind around this.

New User
nooks-r-horrible2
0 Kudos

I was given the nook as a gift. I love the whole un-illuminated screen concept for ease of use during the day and not to mention it’s easier on the eyes. However, the fact that you can’t incorporate as simple functionality as viewable subfolders in the My Documents folder is absolutely despicable… it’s just ridiculous. It really is disappointing that you guys can’t even so much as attempt to compete in today’s market. I want to chuck my nook to the ground and stomp on it. Please come out with OS upgrade before I take it out on my nook.    

-infuriated customer

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

nooks-r-horrible2 wrote:

I was given the nook as a gift. I love the whole un-illuminated screen concept for ease of use during the day and not to mention it’s easier on the eyes. However, the fact that you can’t incorporate as simple functionality as viewable subfolders in the My Documents folder is absolutely despicable… it’s just ridiculous. It really is disappointing that you guys can’t even so much as attempt to compete in today’s market. I want to chuck my nook to the ground and stomp on it. Please come out with OS upgrade before I take it out on my nook.    

-infuriated customer

2 WHOLE posts and that's what ya got?

*sigh*

ABthree
0 Kudos

nooks-r-horrible2 wrote:

However, the fact that you can’t incorporate as simple functionality as viewable subfolders in the My Documents folder is absolutely despicable

-infuriated customer

Easy now -- that's the word that got Alexander Hamilton shot!!!!!  LOL
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Didn't it also cause a piano to be dropped on Elmer's head?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Harrkev wrote:

AFAIK

We're writing to each other here, not texting ... as far as I know. :smileywink:
Please take the time to type the extra letters.  It'll make your new friends happy.

AFAIK is a time honored internet meme, with no relation to texting.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

Didn't it also cause a piano to be dropped on Elmer's head?

Dangerous all around, all right! :smileysurprised:

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

AFAIK is a time honored internet meme, with no relation to texting.

Dang!  I knew I should never have thrown out that Geek Squad Decoder Ring!!!!! :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
GarryD
0 Kudos

I have a little over 800 books on my NC and wish I could make folders for my JA Jance, Lee Child, Daniel Silva, JD Robb, WEB Griffin, Iris Johansen, Harlen Coben and CJ Box series instead of having to scroll through all of the individual books looking for the onesies and twosies from other authors.  Is there a way or not?  It's not an Android issue as I can make folders all day on my Evo.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

GarryD wrote:

I have a little over 800 books on my NC and wish I could make folders for my JA Jance, Lee Child, Daniel Silva, JD Robb, WEB Griffin, Iris Johansen, Harlen Coben and CJ Box series instead of having to scroll through all of the individual books looking for the onesies and twosies from other authors.  Is there a way or not?  It's not an Android issue as I can make folders all day on my Evo.

You can't make folders but you can create shelves on all 3 Nooks.  Shelves work essentially the same way, create shelves for each author, then create a shelf for "all others".  Use the go to shelf option to navigate to the shelf you want.

New User
DavidJGross
0 Kudos

I'm sure you'll object to my comment as well, seeing as it's my first, but peoople have to start somewhere, and being angry about a basic feature being missing from a device is a pretty good way to get started on the forums. If I hadn't been upset about the same problem and trying to do some research to make sure that it was really a problem and not just something I was doing wrong, I'd never have eneded up on the forums at all. Does the fact that I actually spend my time reading my nook instead of playing around on here mean that I'm in some way a second class reader? I think not. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

DavidJGross wrote:

I'm sure you'll object to my comment as well, seeing as it's my first, but peoople have to start somewhere, and being angry about a basic feature being missing from a device is a pretty good way to get started on the forums. 

Actually it's not, and the anger should be at yourself for not determining the device didn't suit your purposes before you bought it.  Nowhere does B&N advertise the ability to create folders on any of its devices.  To assume that you could, well, you know.  

I wouldn't buy a Kindle and be furious that it couldn't read my ebooks - you know, reading which is basic functionality  :smileywink: - because I did the research and found out that Kindle doesn't read .epubs of any sort: DRM or non-DRM.

If you want an ereader with folders, go buy one.  NOOK ain't it.  OR you can suggest the functionality to B&N but to be angry  because their device doesn't do something they never claimed it did is ridiculous, IMO.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 314 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: