Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
anb0118
0 Kudos

DEPLOYING MILITARY PERSONNEL: READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU BUY A NOOK

I'm posting this as a warning to people traveling outside the US, especially military personnel or otherwise who may be leaving for quite a while.

YOU CANNOT PURCHASE NOOK BOOKS WHEN YOU ARE PHYSICALLY OUTSIDE OF THE US. It doesn't matter if you have a credit card with a US billing address, and you download them to your PC app...B&N is going to cancel the order.

I purchased the Nook because I read whenever I have free time and I read fast. I hated taking up precious space with 6-10 books to tide me over between opportunities to pick up more books. The Nook has been pretty awesome (a little disappointing with the battery length and one major freeze, but no other serious problems) while I've been deployed. BUT I'm reaching the point where I've read through my cache of books that I built up before I left (not being sure whether I would have access to wifi with my personal laptop). The good news is you can still download FREE Nook Books, but forget buying any new books. I've been a B&N customer for years, and bought a Nook with them because of that loyalty, and because I thought I would still be able to download to my PC app and transfer to my Nook.

Adios, B&N, looks like I'm going to be an Amazon customer now.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Just use your .mil email address

Simply use your .mil e-mail address for your account. You can then buy e-books from anywhere in the world.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: DEPLOYING MILITARY PERSONNEL: READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU BUY A NOOK - correction

anb0118 wrote:

I'm posting this as a warning to people traveling outside the US, especially military personnel or otherwise who may be leaving for quite a while.

YOU CANNOT PURCHASE NOOK BOOKS WHEN YOU ARE PHYSICALLY OUTSIDE OF THE US. It doesn't matter if you have a credit card with a US billing address, and you download them to your PC app...B&N is going to cancel the order.

I purchased the Nook because I read whenever I have free time and I read fast. I hated taking up precious space with 6-10 books to tide me over between opportunities to pick up more books. The Nook has been pretty awesome (a little disappointing with the battery length and one major freeze, but no other serious problems) while I've been deployed. BUT I'm reaching the point where I've read through my cache of books that I built up before I left (not being sure whether I would have access to wifi with my personal laptop). The good news is you can still download FREE Nook Books, but forget buying any new books. I've been a B&N customer for years, and bought a Nook with them because of that loyalty, and because I thought I would still be able to download to my PC app and transfer to my Nook.

Adios, B&N, looks like I'm going to be an Amazon customer now.

I just got off tech support with Nook Support!  YES, you can purchase and download NOOK E-Books to your .mil or .gov email address.  You may not download to an address that is an overseas email address.  But .mil and .gov addresses are allowed to received e-book downloads.  

I did request that tech support PLEASE update this site with this information for all of our military personnel's knowledge.  

If you have questions, go to Nook, tech support and log in to chat.  They can answer the particulars.

Mountain Muse.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: DEPLOYING MILITARY PERSONNEL: READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU BUY A NOOK - correction

You do not "download" to an email address.  You can use a .mil or .gov email address as your contact on your account. 

You download to the Nook or a computer.  Computers on the .mil domain (NIPRNET) are usually locked down and you usually cannot connect USB storage devices to them, nor can you usually connect a Nook to them via WiFi.  The exceptions are sometimes there are small morale kiosks which use the .mil domain.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: DEPLOYING MILITARY PERSONNEL:USE YOUR .MIL EMAIL ADDRESS ON YOUR B&N ACCOUNT

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave_H wrote:

You do not "download" to an email address.  You can use a .mil or .gov email address as your contact on your account. 

You download to the Nook or a computer.  Computers on the .mil domain (NIPRNET) are usually locked down and you usually cannot connect USB storage devices to them, nor can you usually connect a Nook to them via WiFi.  The exceptions are sometimes there are small morale kiosks which use the .mil domain.

I agree with you, it's unlikely anyone will be able to attach a Nook to a military computer, they are pretty locked down for a lot of things.

The other question that would arise is if there is some type of open WiFi available, if not, I'm not sure how someone deployed would get the books on to the Nook or for that matter a Kindle. I suppose someone who has been deployed and taken a Nook with them, how it worked.  But, if there's no open WiFi, how is someone going to better off with the Kindle?  The only one I can see that would work is the Kindle DX, with international WiFi.  

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: DEPLOYING MILITARY PERSONNEL:USE YOUR .MIL EMAIL ADDRESS ON YOUR B&N ACCOUNT

I was able to do things from a non-.mil system via a proxy server during past deployments.  B&N may have addressed the problem since then.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here.

The ".mil' e-mail address is the login name of your B&N account, and just a way for the B&N computer system to know that non-US IP-addresses are allowed for this account when buying things (the IP-address country check is disabled for a ".mil" account).

This has nothing to do with the computer you use to buy and download things.

You can use any Wifi connection with your Nook, or any available PC to buy and download things.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here.

The ".mil' e-mail address is the login name of your B&N account, and just a way for the B&N computer system to know that non-US IP-addresses are allowed for this account when buying things (the IP-address country check is disabled for a ".mil" account).

This has nothing to do with the computer you use to buy and download things.

You can use any Wifi connection with your Nook, or any available PC to buy and download things.

That is correct, however, the problem is that when deployed if there is no open WiFi, then you can't buy books from the Nook and for the most part, you aren't allowed to connect personal USB devices to military computers, so while you may be able to buy a book from the military computer, you'd have to no way to transfer it to the Nook.  As Big Dave said, some bases will have morale computers available, but other ones, especially smaller ones, don't and they don't have WiFi either.  

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Thank you for letting me know.  I know this is an issue  that has been in discussion for a year now.   You might check the Tech board to see what they say.

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Contributor
digitalgirlBK
0 Kudos

When my son was deployed to Iraq a few years back, he was on a relatively small base, but every now and then got to travel to a larger post that did have more amenities, wifi among them. But they were definitely not allowed to download anything to government computers, so that option seems to be out.

Barnes & Noble does not do business internationally, so all purchases must originate in the states because of international copyright law. If you set up your B&N account and register your Nook with a .mil address, you'll be able to download books through wifi when available. If you'd rather not use that address, you can also have a friend or relative back in the States with access to your B&N account purchase the books, etc., for you and then you can download them to your Nook in wifi anywhere in the world. If wifi availability is intermittant, I would suggest keeping a wishlist on bn.com so if you do get access to wifi you'll be able to get exactly what you want.

Thank you all for your service!

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.  I'll let my kids know.

MM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 224 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: