Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Ashkan
0 Kudos

Dead Nook

Hi folks,

My nook is apparently dead after a flat battery and does not power up. I have tried holding down power button for 20 seconds, taking out the battery connecting to a power outlet, taking out the battery for 20-30 minutes, holding the power button for 60 seconds and then re-inserting battery and charging for 3-4 hours tricks yet to no avail. I have also tried the above methods with the USB connection to a computer instead of a wall power outlet. None of the tricks mentioned in the forum, nor those in FAQ and User's Guide seem to help me dodge this situtation and since I'm currently living outside of US I can't order a replacement for the NOOK itself or the battery. I'm stuck with a bricked device which I use on a daily basis.

Any other suggestions on how I can make this thing work?

Frequent Contributor
ph10
0 Kudos

Re: Dead Nook

Hi,

You mentioned you tried the cord on both a USB port and an outlet.  Have you tried a new cord?  Maybe its a broken wire in the cord and your nook isnt getting any power.

Could be worth a shot.

HTH

Reader
Ashkan
0 Kudos

That's true. I'll have to find one similar to that of nook since I couldn't possibly get my hands on of the official chargers and cable.

In the meantime, any other possible solutions? (Since a defected cable has a minor possibility).

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider
0 Kudos

Ashkan wrote:

That's true. I'll have to find one similar to that of nook since I couldn't possibly get my hands on of the official chargers and cable.

In the meantime, any other possible solutions? (Since a defected cable has a minor possibility).

FYI -- The Nook uses a standard Micro USB connector available at electronic stores (I use my blackberry charging cord).

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
New User
SuzeRene
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

I had the same problem last week.  When I plugged in my Nook, the orange light didn't even come on.  Turns out I had to get a new battery.  I hadn't used my Nook for a while and it caused the battery to completely die.  PS:  They sell the Nook and accessories at Best Buy now if you don't have a B&N near you.  :smileyhappy:

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Have you tried simply plugging it in to an outlet and leaving it?  When you have a completely discharged battery, it can take a while for the charging light to come on.

Reader
Ashkan
0 Kudos

I'll be more than happy to give this "New battery trick" a try, however since I'm currently living in Iran and the fact that I very much doubt Best Buy would accept deliveries out here, it's look like that I can't get my hands on a new battery and Until I find a shop to buy a new battery, I'm stuck with a bricked NOOK (Apparently). Thanks for the help.

It's kind of weird that the battery has simply died. It was a brand new gadget. I'm quite surprised.

Reader
Ashkan
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

Have you tried simply plugging it in to an outlet and leaving it?  When you have a completely discharged battery, it can take a while for the charging light to come on.

Yes, I've already tried that. With the battery on and without the battery. Left it over there to charge for couple for hours, even all night. Nothing happened. 

Contributor
ds1949
0 Kudos

Mine was two months old, tried all the tricks, was sent a new cable, nothing worked.  I am waiting for a new battery.  I loved my nook, but I am not sure how reliable they are.  Also, they could probably ship a new battery to Iran faster than the states, since I have been waiting ten days.

New User
danslady
0 Kudos

I just bought mine today and I'm apparently having the same problem. Went to register it, plugged it in to charge - wall outlet as well as trying the USB cable to the computer, no charging indicator light and it won't turn on.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

danslady wrote:

I just bought mine today and I'm apparently having the same problem. Went to register it, plugged it in to charge - wall outlet as well as trying the USB cable to the computer, no charging indicator light and it won't turn on.

Is the nook on?  It won't charge if it is off.

New User
danslady
0 Kudos

finally got it fixed. Had to go the remove battery route. But that did the job. Thnx!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 220 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: