Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Dear Barnes & Noble nook Programmers... (and users too)

First of all I'd like to point out the original post is in the general discussion area.  This was originally posted by SkateKarate. I felt this needed to also be in this area since someone at B&N might actually look into the website referenced, and for the rest of us nook owners to enter our wishlist items at this location, as well as vote for current wish list items there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from SkateKarate:

Here you go: http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=408a&t=408a.40&v=23
There is now a list of things that we want improved :smileyvery-happy: (please with cherries on top)
For nook users, visit the same link and make your suggestions (and vote!).

EDIT: just a heads up, i didn't make the site, but i did suggest some stuff (user: th3lolz)
credit goes to the person that made it, i just posted it here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Barnes & Noble nook Programmers... (and users too)

People, don't post requests to B&N on some obscure website.  This is like dropping a complaint about an undercooked steak into your Garage Mechanic's suggestion box instead of telling the waiter at the restaurant.

Post them HERE where they will at least be found.  

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

And the Latest standing as of 3/4/10 9:22am CST.

Enhanced searching. Such as a 'More by this author' option or the ability to search within particular genre
For it      : 12
Against it:  1

Provide ability to password your nook so someone else won't be able to charge books to your credit card or have access to your account.
For it      : 53
Against it:  2

Allow books to be sideloaded to the Nook via Wi-Fi.
For it      : 20
Against it:  4

Dictionary lookup should have capability of typing in the word as well. Instead of only using the highlighting function
For it      : 60
Against it:  6

Bring B&N Library features to My Library. Like Sorting options, Search, and Cover Flow.
For it      : 64

Add folder organization support for sideloaded books.
For it      : 69
Against it:  3

Make it easier to delete files from My Documents/My Audio with out having to connect to the computer.
For it      : 29

Allow "go to page number" option. This is hugely helpful when books are not formatted correctly (with chapters), or when reading side loaded content like PDFs.
For it      : 64
Against it:  0

Allow capabilities to organize music in Audio Player. Whether folder structure or playlist recognition.
For it      : 38
Against it: 13

Make the dictionary smarter. It's currently unable to recognize verb tenses, words that are plural and words that use non-standard english letters
For it      : 56

Allow basic search attributes, such as "whole word only" and "match case", and possibly, "search from this page forward", and "search whole book".
For it      : 37
Against it:  6

Frequent Contributor
Paul58
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

People, don't post requests to B&N on some obscure website.  This is like dropping a complaint about an undercooked steak into your Garage Mechanic's suggestion box instead of telling the waiter at the restaurant.

Post them HERE where they will at least be found.  

The link is posted here!  Don't you think the Site Admins would be curious, take a look, and pass it on to the developers?  The format is much more concise and easier to interpret than 25 pages of posts that meander all over the place...  I voted!  I think it's a brilliant idea!

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Paul, we have to hope, that someone who can do something has actually read some of these posts and at least followed the link even if it was just out of idle curiosity. Now the concept of selecting 1 location, where you can either add an item you desire, and vote on items you want/don't want, was a brilliant idea!! I'm not so sure just having hundreds of posts all over the place saying "I want this" and "I want that" and all kinds of variations of the same theme does any good, and is should be confusing, especially when you see someone say "I WANT IT" and another post directly beneath it saying "I DON'T WANT IT".

Now when it's all concise, where you can say yes i want it or no i don't.. much much better idea.  Take the request:  adding a goto for page numbers, there's 70(?) people for it, and none against it. In my mind that sound extreemly desirable to me then.

So when i get a chance to, maybe once or twice a day I'll see if I can scrounge up the numbers incase they change. (no guarantees about updating the post though)

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

crap i guess my paste didn't put everything on screen, here's the rest.

Provide a basic web browser, even if only for WiFi. This would allow you to download ebooks from other sources more easily. Calibre even has a built in web server for this, but you must have a browser to use it
For it      : 26
Against it: 20

Make it easier to add or delete files to your Barnes and Noble library if you don't have a wireless connection.
For it      : 21
Against it:  8

I would like to have the ability to export highlights and other comments to exportable file, or PDF. In the physical book world you can easily place a book on a copier or scanner and scan a page of hightlight of interest.
For it      :  7

Give "The Daily" custom RSS capabilities.
For it      : 46
Against it:  9

Allow us to tag books, either those bought from B&N or those side loaded.
For it      :  6

Allow for bookmark(s) in Audio Books and for gods sake stop lumping them together with the music!! Both ARE in separate folders!!
For it      : 15

Allow WiFi on any network, even if it requires you to enter a room number, like when you're at a hotel.
For it      : 27
Against it:  9

Disable the nook bar when using the keyboard (to prevent being kicked off the screen while typing)
For it      : 15

Allow choosing themes
For it      : 22
Against it: 20

Provide more font choices, please.
For it      : 21
Against it: 11

Have a searchable Wikipedia application (connected to the online version or not)
For it      : 25
Against it: 19

Provide for direct and indepenent access to wi-fi and 3G functions. Currently you have to navigate to many screens to turn on/off wi-fi and or 3G capabilities.
For it      :  1

I'd like to access my igoogle calendar!
For it      :  3
Against it: 16

Allow multiple "Sleep Timers", one for while reading a book, and another for everything else. Normally only need a short timer while reading (to look up a word), and a longer timer when shopping, etc).
For it      : 10
Against it: 22

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 498 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: