New User
tchrabc123
0 Kudos

Did I fry it?

My parents purchased the Nook Color for me for Christmas.  I loooooove it and recently took it with me on a trip to England.  I made sure it was fully charged before I left and found I only really needed to charge it once while over there.  I had previously bought and used a plug and transformer convereter unit from LLBean and plugged the Nook in it to charge.  I smelled something like burning/melting plastic after a few minutes and unplugged the whole thing.  I was in a rush to pack it away and didn't notice until later that the top of the charge unit on the Nook cable (not the cable itself but the plug part) looks like it got melted on top.  When I tried to use it again to charge, the cable/plug piece did not want to work (The light on the USB cord would not light up at all).  My husband purchased me a new charger (not a Nook charger) and we tried charging it, and the Nook does not want to charge.  It lights up when plugged in and switches to a "battery too low, charge for at least 15 minutes" warning. 

I was able to use my Nook Color until the battery completely was used up.  It turned on fine after the melted plug incident and I was able to use it to read a book. 

So a couple of questions, not sure if this has happened to anyone else...

1)  Does anyone know the Nook Color needs its specific brand of charger/cable to charge?

or...

2) Does anyone know if I damaged the usb port on the Nook and that's why the generic cable is not letting it charge properly.  Did I accidently fry the usb port?  I have been to England so many times (and grew up there) and have never had anything like this happen to me or with the travel converter I used.

I'm going to take it in to the Barnes and Noble store this weekend and see what the customer service rep says, but wanted to get imput from others until then.  Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Did I fry it?

[ Edited ]

you didn't need a transformer the Nook Color and Nook only need a plug adapter to be able to use 220. you probably fried the battery and the usb port or maybe just the charger is damaged.

tchrabc123 wrote:

My parents purchased the Nook Color for me for Christmas.  I loooooove it and recently took it with me on a trip to England.  I made sure it was fully charged before I left and found I only really needed to charge it once while over there.  I had previously bought and used a plug and transformer convereter unit from LLBean and plugged the Nook in it to charge.  I smelled something like burning/melting plastic after a few minutes and unplugged the whole thing.  I was in a rush to pack it away and didn't notice until later that the top of the charge unit on the Nook cable (not the cable itself but the plug part) looks like it got melted on top.  When I tried to use it again to charge, the cable/plug piece did not want to work (The light on the USB cord would not light up at all).  My husband purchased me a new charger (not a Nook charger) and we tried charging it, and the Nook does not want to charge.  It lights up when plugged in and switches to a "battery too low, charge for at least 15 minutes" warning. 

I was able to use my Nook Color until the battery completely was used up.  It turned on fine after the melted plug incident and I was able to use it to read a book. 

So a couple of questions, not sure if this has happened to anyone else...

1)  Does anyone know the Nook Color needs its specific brand of charger/cable to charge?

or...

2) Does anyone know if I damaged the usb port on the Nook and that's why the generic cable is not letting it charge properly.  Did I accidently fry the usb port?  I have been to England so many times (and grew up there) and have never had anything like this happen to me or with the travel converter I used.

I'm going to take it in to the Barnes and Noble store this weekend and see what the customer service rep says, but wanted to get imput from others until then.  Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

Yes, NOOKcolor has a special charger and cable in order to get enough power to the unit. There have been scattered reports of overheating and related problems with the charger and cable.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

When you take it to Barnes and Noble they should have a charger and cable you can use to check the unit out and see if was damaged. If it checks out ok I would replace both the cable and charger with B&N approved equipment for the reason Doug stated..

From your descriptionm my best guess, and that is all it is, is the unit itself is ok. The adapter shorted out before it could damage the nook itself.

New User
tchrabc123

So my husband took it in to the Barnes and Noble store near him on his lunch break Friday.  The customer service rep there let him use their charging station and charged it while he had a short lunch break there.  When he went back to retreive it, the Nook had charge enough to turn on, but only had 25% time remaining on the battery (understandable since it was only plugged into charge for like 15-20 mins.).  They were out of wall chargers for the Nook Color, but did have the car chargers.  He purchased one of those and charged it in his car later, which gave it almost half a battery. 

So I did not damage the battery/usb port, just the charging cable.  My husband also told me later on that I did not need the transformer thing to convert the voltage charge from 120v to 220v.  Wish I had known that that ahead of time!  He told me all "newer" electronics have this feature already built into them.  The customer service rep told us we had the option to purchase the wall charger cord in another store, or apply/request one from Barnes and Noble as it is covered by their warranty.  So I guess a generic USB cord will not charge a Nook Color, and that's why it won't charge when plugged into your computer... not enough power.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

tchrabc123 wrote:

So I guess a generic USB cord will not charge a Nook Color, and that's why it won't charge when plugged into your computer... not enough power.

The Nook Color's wall charger draws and supplies more power than a standard USB wall charger.  This was done so the Nook Color will charge faster.

You can also check Best Buy to see if they have the wall charger and cable in stock.

Glad to hear the Nook itself is ok.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:43 members 352 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: