Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dudman13
0 Kudos

Digital book from local library downloaded...unsupported file type acsm

Bought my nook in order to download books from local library in digital format...that worked...but error message says "This Nook cannot read this file...it may be an unsupported format...

The download ends in .acsm...not sure what that means but if my Nook won't read my library books, I just wasted my money...can anyone help?  Dudman13

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Digital book from local library downloaded...unsupported file type acsm

See this posting, which tells you everything you need to know about using Adobe Digital Editions:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

The short answer to your immediate problem is: the ACSM file needs to be opened with Adobe Digital Editions, not saved. Either redownload and tell your browser to open the file with ADE, or else try double-clicking the ACSM file that you've saved.

New User
dudman13
0 Kudos

Well, I should have noted that I own the new Simple Touch Nook, and that I also downloaded the library ebook into Adobe Digital Editions , in an EPUB format...My nook gives me an Error Dialog, entitled "Loan Token Not Found...can't find the "loan token" terminology anywhere on the Nook user guide...same result...it will not open the book   I am really lost here...Dudman 13

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

What exactly have  you done to get the book on your NOOK?

Inside ADE, dragging the book to the shelf that is your NOOK in the left hand column should resolve this error.  If it did not, try closing ADE.

Then, using Windows Explorer, delete the following two folders from your NOOK:

• Digital Editions
  • .adobe-digital-editions    <---  note the "." 

Then open ADE.

Plug NOOK in.

Authorize it in ADE.

Try transferring the books to the NOOK shelf again.

If you're using a Mac, there's a procedure for showing hidden files/folders which you'll need to follow to see the folder beginning with a "."  It's different from the last time I used a Mac and I don't remember all the details so I can't share those.  

Contributor
Raptor9458
0 Kudos

It took me a couple tries to get it to work too, but it does work.

The book I'm reading now was borrowed from a library.

I love my N2E!
New User
EMB54EB
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also receiving the same error response.  (Loan Token not Found)  I followed the steps provided four times but am still receiving the same response.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

EMB54EB wrote:

Hi,

I am also receiving the same error response.  (Loan Token not Found)  I followed the steps provided four times but am still receiving the same response.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Just to be sure.  You downloaded the file from the library website and opened the book in Adobe Digital Editions, correct?  Can you open and read the book in ADE?

How did you copy it to the Nook?  Did you copy it using ADE or did you use Windows Explorer?  

If you copied it using Windows Explorer, then I would suggest deleting it from your computer.  Connect the Nook and deleting it from the Adobe Digital Editions folder on the Nook.  Then redownload the book from the library again, maybe the download was corrupt.

New User
EMB54EB
0 Kudos

I can open and read the book on my laptop in ADE.  I did copy using Windows Explorer after authorizing the Nook (I received a response that the authorization process successfully completed.  I will try to download again.  Thank you for the suggestions!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

EMB54EB wrote:

I can open and read the book on my laptop in ADE.  I did copy using Windows Explorer after authorizing the Nook (I received a response that the authorization process successfully completed.  I will try to download again.  Thank you for the suggestions!

You cannot copy a library book to the Nook using Windows Explorer, the library book will NOT work on the Nook if you do.  You have to copy it from within ADE.  Your Nook will show up as a shelf in ADE on the left side.  Look at here for more detailed instructions. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 768 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: