Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
janjanjan
0 Kudos

Disappearing content on nook, only the thumbnail left

I have many books I've downloaded from B&N, some free, some purchased.  We're traveling, with limited wifi access, so I was ready to start reading some of my stockpiled books.  When I try to open books, I get a thumbnail view, a brief summary, and the option to download the book itself.

Many of these books have been partially read, thus, I know their full content was on the nook at one time.  A couple have been read all the way through, but now all I have is this summary and thumbnail. 

Does somebody know what is going on?  My primary reason for buying the Nook is that we travel extensively with no wi-fi or 3g internet access, so i was looking forward to being able to store entire books on the Nook and read them when convenient. 

Is there some setting to change this?  I certainly didn't select a different setting recently, but I did update to 1.5 when it came out.

Thanks in advance for help,.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Disappearing content on nook, only the thumbnail left

Turn your Nook completely off and then turn it back on.

janjanjan wrote:

I have many books I've downloaded from B&N, some free, some purchased.  We're traveling, with limited wifi access, so I was ready to start reading some of my stockpiled books.  When I try to open books, I get a thumbnail view, a brief summary, and the option to download the book itself.

Many of these books have been partially read, thus, I know their full content was on the nook at one time.  A couple have been read all the way through, but now all I have is this summary and thumbnail. 

Does somebody know what is going on?  My primary reason for buying the Nook is that we travel extensively with no wi-fi or 3g internet access, so i was looking forward to being able to store entire books on the Nook and read them when convenient. 

Is there some setting to change this?  I certainly didn't select a different setting recently, but I did update to 1.5 when it came out.

Thanks in advance for help,.

Contributor
janjanjan
0 Kudos

I've done that, in fact several times since my Nook has chosen to freeze up about once each day recently, and this is the only way to unfreeze it.  What would you do next?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

janjanjan wrote:

I've done that, in fact several times since my Nook has chosen to freeze up about once each day recently, and this is the only way to unfreeze it.  What would you do next?

It sounds like your update did not install properly if you are experiencing lockups.

Customer Service will probably have you do a Factory Fallback to the factory installed software. They will then have you install update 1.5 again. This proceedure will erase all of the eBooks on your Nook requiring you to download them again. It will also require you to register your Nook again which you may not be able to do without their assistance or unregistering your Nook before begining the process.

I understand McDonalds has free wi-fi. You may want to try that to re-download your books while on vacation.

Contributor
janjanjan
0 Kudos

on another board, it was suggested that I may have one of those Nooks which constantly resets itself to factory settings, and then downloads metadata when I reconnect with B&N.  Anybody familiar with this idea?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

janjanjan wrote:

on another board, it was suggested that I may have one of those Nooks which constantly resets itself to factory settings, and then downloads metadata when I reconnect with B&N.  Anybody familiar with this idea?

Only that I have seen people post that problem and later posted that B&N replaced the unit.  As I remember those cases the problem was reproducible.

Leave wi-fi on, power the unit off (not sleep mode) and power it back on.  Repeat using sleep mode this time. If it doesn't happen again I would classify it as a head scratcher. Life is full of mysteries.

It's your call though.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 587 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: